Author Topic: galluses  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
galluses
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Here's a question for ya'll. Which was more popular for 1860's and 70's, X back suspenders or Y back suspenders? I've always been curious about that. (Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands ;D                                                                                                                                                                                                       Cuzzin Jack
Sgt. Company A 8th Cavalry- Never start a vast project with half vast plans

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: galluses
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
Early on the X back, in 1844 Charles Goodyear patented the vulcanizing of rubber.  Make the back at least or the whole suspender/brace/gallues out of elastic and the Y back becomes practical.  The Y back with out it tears itself up and the buttons on the pants.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks Delmonico.                                                                                                                                                                                          Cuzzin Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:37:46 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
No problem, both styles were made elsatic and not, but that is the practical of it.  The non-elastic X backs stuck around because elastic was expensive then and not as durable as modern synthetic rubber.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »
Howdy, Cuzzin!

As Del wrote, the elastic can be early.  There are some photos of early military ones around: they're some type of cotton or linen, and had (IF at all) a type of adjustment buckle that had 2 prongs which would pierce the strap material - kinda like some of the vests or pants buckles sizing straps, only bigger than the vest/trowser types.  I've also seen straight straps that use a single pants button.  Not "X" OR "Y" type.

As to which was more popular, well, probably what type the sutler(s) carried!  ::)  Personally, the "Y" type with the back "leg" made of elastic is, to me, both the most comfortable and most secure.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
Thanks aii for the info. Steel Horse, I guess you'd call them V backed suspenders(if you had to call em anything) ;D                                                                                                                                                                                       Cuzzin Jack

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »
Cuzzin Jack,

Springs (long coil type) were employed as early as the 1860s. At one time Nick Sekela used to make them. I believe his items are mostly now sold through 'the Jersey Skillet Licker' if they such braces are still for sale. Check the web site if interested. They are quite dandy though I cannot speak too much to their popularity in the 1870s-80s.

'Monterrey' J. B.
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:23:25 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the military did not supply suspenders & soldiers had to buy or make their own.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the military did not supply suspenders & soldiers had to buy or make their own.

Don't know for sure, only that I saw it in a book I found (reading at the Fall Creek Suttlery store) that was about military clothing.  Therefore, I assumed they were issued or commonly available for purchase.  Perhaps they were common enough that many soldiers bought that type.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

Correct. The Civil War U.S. Quartermaster Department did NOT issue suspenders.
  HOWEVER, they specified four suspender buttons for infantrymen's trousers (six for mounted service).   :)
  (Kind of like watch pockets on military trousers.  They did not issues pocket watches either..  ;)  :) )

Surviving CW images show men with and without them.

The only reference I have to an issuance exception comes from the regular U.S. unit, the 1st United States Sharpshooters that were issued them "contrary" to the "rule."

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com