Author Topic: USFA gaining ground, fans quiet!  (Read 8967 times)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA gaining ground, fans quiet!
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:14:45 AM »
The latest publications are proof that USFA makes great American quality guns, as we already knew.  However, lately fans have been all too quiet.  I was wondering if anyone has shot any of the USFA 1911's or 1910's, or the Omnipotent?  Haven't even seen one in these parts.  I would like to try some out.

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: USFA gaining ground, fans quiet!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I have not seen any of those guns in person, only some listed on gunbroker.

I guess I am like everyone else right now, being extremely busy.

My busy-ness is due to the announcement that my employer(a securities broker/dealer) is going to shut down, and I will need to seek new employment. It also looks like to stay in this industry, I will probably having to relocate to a different area of the country.  :(

The silver lining is that if at all possible, I would like to move to the "real" west.  ;D
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
Frank Dalton,,I hadnt seen any USFA's till recently. If a person doesnt have the money to buy one,,,its a mistake to pick one up. Its like herioin or some nasty drug,,,one time,,,your hooked.
I have just made a resoluton and started saving pennys,,honest...pennys,,,for a USFA...I think I deserve to treat myself to at least one top shelf 19th century revolver in my life.

At this point,,the Gunslinger is lookin' awful good,,,though the SA is not 'much' more. I guess its asthetics....'old'  NIB vrs bone and dome  NIB,,,and that could be a delima !

Marshal Deadwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:55 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »
Howdy, Doc!
I have yet to see any of the latest production run of Omni-Potents but am sure that at least one of the gun shops around here will get one in when they hit the market.  Personally, I think that the 4" "Snubnose" model is the one that I would go for but that would probably be a special order item.
Now... All here who know me are aware of the fact that I am a great supporter of USFA so don't start throwing stuff at me when I say that $1800 for a plain, no frills 1911 is absurd.  I don't care if it is supposed to be an exact reproduction of the first guns made (maybe the 1911 is - the 1910 model sure isn't).
Colt is currently offering an exact reproduction of the WWI issue 1911 - carbonia blue finish, original style box, manual, WWI issue screwdriver, original rollmarks and inspector marks, etc., and you can pick one up for around $950.  I recently purchased one and it is a beautiful gun.   There is no way on God's green earth that the USFA 1911 could be worth $800+ more than the Colt WWI replica.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »
Doc,

I do have 2 SAA's and a Rodeo, and all three are excellent guns. I just love the SAA's in 7-1/2"bbls BP frame and cch. The rodeo is 4-3/4"bbl and has new grips from Western & Wildlife wonders (John Wayne Yellow - plain). I'm thinking of slightly antiquing it at some point.

Check out Phil Rezac located in Nebraska as a dealer. He's a SASS member and a member of most of the boards for CAS, and will give SASS members a discounted price. He got my SAA's for me and for a really great price. I tried to get a quote from the Marshal, here on CAS City, but I never received a reply. (I think it was during a time when the Marshal was away, and I got such a good deal from Phil Rezac in the mean time (like $925 each + Shipping) that I didn't ask a second time.)

Yessir, git you a USFA.

Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
Frank Dalton,,I hadnt seen any USFA's till recently. If a person doesnt have the money to buy one,,,its a mistake to pick one up. Its like herioin or some nasty drug,,,one time,,,your hooked.
I have just made a resoluton and started saving pennys,,honest...pennys,,,for a USFA...I think I deserve to treat myself to at least one top shelf 19th century revolver in my life.

At this point,,the Gunslinger is lookin' awful good,,,though the SA is not 'much' more. I guess its asthetics....'old'  NIB vrs bone and dome  NIB,,,and that could be a delima !

Marshal Deadwood

OMG  does this mean I am a junkie!??   

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/Psychman/AinsworthUSFA.jpg

or this    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/Psychman/SAASheriffs.jpg

Rehab here I come.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
Yes, Deadeye, you are a junkie.  But, then again, so am I!
Nice looking Sheriff's model!  I have one with the 4" barrel.  Got the 4" for two reasons;
1:  The majority of the original Colts were made in that configuration.
2:  You almost never see any of them.
Compared to my 3rd gen. Colt 3", the USFA is a much nicer gun.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
I feel much better now that I see people talking again on this forum.

Capt., I have one of the Colt WWII 1911's, but I did not know they were making WWI 1911's currently.  I'll have to look into that!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »
Doc,
Like your WWII 1911, Colt is limiting the run of WWI models to approx. 4000.  About a year ago they were half way through the run (or so I heard).  They are still listed on the Colt web site.  Here is the link to the Colt site:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1911WWI.asp

Here is a link to a Gunblast.com review of the WWI 1911:

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_Colt-WWI.htm

It is really a pretty nice package what with the original box, manual and tool.  Gun and magazine even come wrapped in the old style "waxed" paper.
CJF

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 04:27:48 AM »
Capt., Thanks for the info.  I'll contact my FFL.  On the USFA 1911 or 1910, they must be after a serious niche market of USFA nuts.  I wonder what the street price will be though, as my FFL always treats me right.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30:44 AM »
Doc,
I would imagine that you could knock about 20% off of the MSRP and get pretty close to the actual retail price.  That would put the USFA 1911 somwhere in the $1400 to $1500 range.  Still way too much.
CJF

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
I wonder if the higher price will keep sales down enough that if someone had one in the years to come it would be more valuable due to few around.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »
That's what I like about ya, Doc...  You're an optimist! ;D

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 04:11:25 AM »
Well Capt.,

I ordered a Colt WWI replica, but in speaking with my FFL, he assures me after seeing the USFA 1910 & 1911 at the show, they are worth getting.  He said they are far more beautiful than what pictures show.  So, somewhere in the future, I might have to travel down that road.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
Doc,
I think you will be happy with the Colt, WWI issue model.  The retro packaging, manual, etc., are a nice touch and, for my money, add much to the authenticity.
I have seen a few of the USFA 1911's on the various gun auction sites and note that the "U.S." logo, as seen on the web site, left rear side of frame where Colt originally put their pony logo, is absent.
CJF

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 04:10:18 AM »
It will be quite a while before I look into the 1911 or 1910 seriously.  My main priority after April is to finish working on a set of guns for my Family Heirloom project and start working with USFA to build them.  I have been dreaming about this project for a couple of years, and after April, I will finally be able to do it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com