Author Topic: Richards 1st Model Navy Conversion Project  (Read 30395 times)

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Garrish and "B Western" Cheesy since '67
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Richards 1st Model Navy Conversion Project
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
Egads!!!  I'm in total awe!  ...and completely jealous :-[

Offline Gaucho Gringo

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
Exactly my opinion too. These guns are awesome. Just wondering why the thread abruptly ended ended 7 months ago with no final pictures. Hope nothing bad happened to the gentlemen making these conversions.
.357 Taurus Gaucho, .22 Heritage Rough Rider, 2-Pietta 1858 .44 NMA Remingtons, Euroarms & ASM .36 1851 Navies, .31 Uberti Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, .44 Uberti Colt Walker, .36 1862 Pocket Police 2 1\2"

Offline Crow Scout

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »
Sorry for no update, guys.  I'm still around ........  and with all fingers and toes still in their appropriate places. 

The pistols are in a state of limbo as of right now.  I've been contemplating making new cylinders but have yet to make a decision.  They have been fired quite a bit and they shoot great.  They still need to be refinished and to have the tool marks cleaned up but they function nicely. 

My biggest problem is that I get about 90% done and then lose interest and move on to something else that's been gnawing at me.  Pomona Pete and I have both been working on other things so these have been neglected a bit. 

Currently I'm working on a 1860 Thuer Conversion and PP's been working on his Dragoon Conversions and now a set of 1860 Long Cylinders. 

When I get bored with the Thuer then I'll hopefully come back to these and get em finished up.

BTW if anyone can help me with dimensions on a Thuer, it would be very much appreciated.

CS

oh and thanks for the kind words, guys.   ;)

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:12:30 PM »

Offline Johnny Reb

• Antique Arms Collector and Locator since 1978. Gunsmith as I have time for and yes I have repaired the action on several 1877 Colts.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • My dog Shone' (Shoshone' Sioux) and me (Rich)
    • My pastor Arnold Murray
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »
WOW!!!! Awesome!

Yuppers, you are pretty much doing what I'm doing again...building them ourselves. Whether somone purchases one, makes it from scratch or gets a conversion kit, it's in us to have a conversion, for they have a character all their own.
Well, I'm not using a lathe or mill yet but on the same page otherwise. I will get you the Thuer ring and parts photos and will find my copy of the 1868 Patent for you too. Perhaps you can get the specs like I do in measuring and such. We figure things like that out if need be, right?

Also like you I'm doing the long cylinders. I've seen a few photos and only held one original in my life time but those are about my favorite.

My dad is a machinist (retired from Lockheed) and taught me how to but giving my ex girlfriend all that I had to keep her and her kids safe and off of the streets it will be about a year before I have a lathe and mill...and a small shop for my work instead of doing it in the garage.  

I'll email the Thuer info to you in a return.

rchlovn@yahoo.com

Rich
Johnny Reb

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 02:48:38 AM »
Crow Scout: Which dimensions of the Thuer do you need? I will gladly take the measurements from mine.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Crow Scout

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 02:18:29 AM »
JR,  thanks for the compliments.  I wouldn't even know where to begin if I had to do these by hand.  My hat's off to you for being able to do that.  I'm a young guy and from the new school of doing things I suppose.  I even catch myself thinking that using a manual milling machine is a pain in the backside sometimes.  I guess now I have a new appreciation for having my own machinery at my disposal........ and cnc just a phone call away. 

My conversions aren't completely correct and I'm aware of that.  If they were to go to someone else I'd make the extra effort to do the little things like using the arbor to hold the conversion ring in place but these were just for me.  I'm happy with them and that's what matters.  I admire guys like OCB that do them truly correct.  They give me something to shoot for in the future. 

I'd gladly accept any research materials you have on the Thuers.  I really appreciate it.  You can email them to sawinc at gmail.com  Just replace "at" with "@" and it will get there.  Thanks in advance for doing that.

LJW,

Some dimensions would be a huge favor to me.  I just need a few and get the rest from there.  If I were to put something together for you like a CAD drawing with a few fill in the blanks would that work for you?  I'll send you an email here directly.  Thanks again.  ;D

Martin

Offline Johnny Reb

• Antique Arms Collector and Locator since 1978. Gunsmith as I have time for and yes I have repaired the action on several 1877 Colts.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
Thank you much!

Well, we all do what we can. The main thing is that we all have a passion for firearms and the history that they went through.

I sent 4 emails of photos and patent copies of the Thuer the other day and hope they came through fine.

Sorry for the short note...running to work.

God bless
Rich
Johnny Reb

Offline Crow Scout

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
JR,

I received your emails......... and thank you very much for putting all of that together for me.  There were some pics in there that I didn't have and will be very helpful. 

I'm still working on getting something together for LJW so I can have a few dimensions.  I'm just having a tough time finding the time.   :'(

Offline Johnny Reb

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
Awesome!

I'll send more as I find them if you wish.

Blessings to you and yours,
Rich
Johnny Reb

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 03:17:51 AM »
Crow Scout: I have my pard's Uberti based Nedbal Thuer now at home. Just tell me the measurements you need.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com