Author Topic: My New USFA SAA is on the way!  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Lash Batson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My New USFA SAA is on the way!
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »
Well Pards—

My dealer emailed today that the good folks at USFA rang and said my order was en route for a Weds delivery! Woo Hoo! And it only took two months. A black powder frame in .45 colt (of course) with 4 3/4" barrel.

After lurking on this board for awhile I'm afraid I have a Rodeo in my near future, the SAA might just prove too pretty to shoot!

Even though they all look alike I'm sure I'll have to post a pic when I get my hands on it tomorrow.

Best,
Lash Batson

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: My New USFA SAA is on the way!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
Lash,
Way to go!  Nice choice on the pistol.  4 & 3/4" has always been my favorite, followed by the 7 & 1/2".  I, for one, look forward to the pictures.  Does yours have the crescent or bullseye ejector?
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Lash Batson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
Lash,
Way to go!  Nice choice on the pistol.  4 & 3/4" has always been my favorite, followed by the 7 & 1/2".  I, for one, look forward to the pictures.  Does yours have the crescent or bullseye ejector?
CJF

Capt. Firzgerald—

Someone with a more thorough knowledge of the USFA product line please correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you opt for the Black Powder frame you get the older style bullseye ejector, which would be more correct for a pre - 1892 SAA.

Best,
Lash Batson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:59:55 PM »

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »
Nice sixgun, you will be happy.  On standard orders the Black Powder frame does come with a "Bull's Eye" type ejector handle.  However, on custom orders that could be different.  I personally like the BP frame because it shows the Case Colors more.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
Lash,   You will love your case color SAA from USFA.  I am sure you will find that even though it is a beautiful piece of firearm, that you will shoot it as it was meant to be.  I personally will not buy anything that I dont plan to shoot.  We would love to see a picture of your "baby" .   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:48:24 AM »

Just wanted to add a picture of one of my 7-1/2" SAA w/blackpowder frame.

I ordered two at one time, both with BP frames, and one came with bullseye and the other with crescent. A quick note to USFA and another bullseye ejector was in my hands within days free of charge. Can't beat the service. 
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
Two months, eh?  Congratulations!  We must have ordered at just about the same time - I ordered a Pre-War on Jan. 5th, but with blue screws, a fitted .45 acp cylinder, and fancy walnut grips.  I was told it wouldn't be here until April, May, or later.  I called the factory and they said that the extras I ordered push the delivery out and I'm not confident it will be here by May.

Looking forward to the pictures!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »
Lash,
I've seen 'em both ways.  Both the crescent and bullseye ejectors are period correct for black powder frames.  I forget the exact year that Colt made the ejector change but it was well before they did away with the BP frames.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:15 PM »
 Even though we associate the Screw in style frame as the Black Powder frame and the Transverse Latch style as Smokeless, that is not accurate.  The Transverse Latch was introduced in 1892, but the Screw in Frame was not completely phased out until 1896.  Smokeless frames were advertised in 1897, but not proofed for smokeless with the "VP" mark until 1904.  Generally 1900 is used as the cutoff between BP & Smokeless, but it is not recommended to bet your life on that. 

The round "bull's eye" ejector head was changed to the oval, or "crescent moon" head at around serial number 52,000, in 1879, during the Intermediate Black Powder period, which was between serial numbers 22,000 - 130,000, or between 1876 - 1890.

So, both styles of heads are period correct for the Screw in style frame, or Black Powder frame as we call it, but the Transverse Latch style frame would be period correct only with a crescent style ejector head.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »
Thanks, Doc!  Somewhere around here, in this mess, I have a book that lists all of the changes and the approximate dates of same but I'll be darned if I can find it at the moment.
CJF

Offline Lash Batson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
Even though we associate the Screw in style frame as the Black Powder frame and the Transverse Latch style as Smokeless, that is not accurate.  The Transverse Latch was introduced in 1892, but the Screw in Frame was not completely phased out until 1896.  Smokeless frames were advertised in 1897, but not proofed for smokeless with the "VP" mark until 1904.  Generally 1900 is used as the cutoff between BP & Smokeless, but it is not recommended to bet your life on that. 

The round "bull's eye" ejector head was changed to the oval, or "crescent moon" head at around serial number 52,000, in 1879, during the Intermediate Black Powder period, which was between serial numbers 22,000 - 130,000, or between 1876 - 1890.

So, both styles of heads are period correct for the Screw in style frame, or Black Powder frame as we call it, but the Transverse Latch style frame would be period correct only with a crescent style ejector head.

Doc, et al,

thanks for the information, thats great stuff. Love the history of these 'old' guns.

My new baby arrived today and I managed to take a long lunch to run up get it. She is beautiful. Not to put too much emotion into an inanimate object, but its incredible the power of slowly pulling back that hammer and hearing all those wonderful clicks. Every John Wayne movie comes flooding back. The Sons of Katie Elder with the Duke sitting under the bridge blasting away two fisted at the bad guys. Fantastic.

I'll post a pic tonight after I get home.

— Lash Batson

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »
Oh, and ... Lash Batson is a Great Handle.

Offline Lash Batson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:44 PM »
Okay Pards,

Here she is, fit and finish is perfect, very smooth trigger pull. A real beauty.

— Lash Batson

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
Whew!  What a beauty.  I wish the photo could blow up larger, it looks like a quality picture.

Offline Lash Batson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »
Whew!  What a beauty.  I wish the photo could blow up larger, it looks like a quality picture.

Howdy North,

Lets see if this is any better. This is about as big as I could make it and still be under the 100K limit, see what you think.

And thanks for the kind words about my handle!

— Lash Batson

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »
Excellent!  That's one of the better pictures of a new USFA, unless there are some gems in the archives I haven't dug up yet.

Offline John E. Ringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
The Transverse Latch was introduced in 1892, but the Screw in Frame was not completely phased out until 1896. 

This is correct. The frame with the screw to hold the base pin was manufactured up 'til '96. Between '92 and '96, both frames were made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com