Author Topic: cas target information  (Read 5669 times)

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
  • Papa Hoss & Cowgirl Allie
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
cas target information
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »
where is the least expensive place to purchase some cas type steel targets for practicing on your home range, I have the land to set up my own range for practice, but not the skills necessary to weld up my own.
any ideas on this topic, what have some of you found or been able to improvise?

Once again I thank you

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: cas target information
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
Where are you located?  Shipping will be a big part of the expense if you have to have them shipped.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:09:03 PM »
Where are you located?  Shipping will be a big part of the expense if you have to have them shipped.

I live in central Illinois. I know the shipping costs are a big partof the$$$$$ but everytime I look at a target price and think maybe this is the one the price quote usually doen't include the base which is again 1/3 1/2 more extra.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:55 AM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »
I've welded up several for myself,
now I know up there in Illinois,  there's bound to be a shop or FFA class up to the local school, if you could draw up some plans & get some steel, I bet they could build them for you.  they might even be able to get the steel at a lower cost, I'd go up and talk to the Vo-Ag teacher and just see what he says. lot of times they are looking for projects.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
Arntzen Targets is in Rockford, IL. http://www.arntzentargets.com/products.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »
The base can be as simple as a pole with something on the end that will cut into the ground as you pound on it with a sledge hammer.  For home use that would be very practical too since you wouldn't have to move them around a lot.  Then on the top end you can either drill a hole in it and run a bolt through the target and the pole, cut a length of braided rubber hose to go between the target and the pole, and tighten a nut up on it OR you weld a nub on the top and just put the target down on that.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
Arntzen Targets is in Rockford, IL. http://www.arntzentargets.com/products.htm

Slim

Slim, thanks for the get back I have seen the website, and I am quite familiar with the town of Rockford I spent about 20+ years of my youth growing up there, I've always said Rockford Illinois is where the men are men and so are the women, you got to be pretty durned tough to live there.
I do like many of the targets on the arntzen's site and I guess I will just have to bite one of those 45"s and pay the price. Good thing my wife thinks I need a hobby.
 ::)

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:37:12 PM »
I've welded up several for myself,
now I know up there in Illinois,  there's bound to be a shop or FFA class up to the local school, if you could draw up some plans & get some steel, I bet they could build them for you.  they might even be able to get the steel at a lower cost, I'd go up and talk to the Vo-Ag teacher and just see what he says. lot of times they are looking for projects.

Thanks for the idea, I teach at a community college in our area, maybe I can convince the welding teacher this would be a worthwile project for someone, I knew I threw in with a smart bunch, cause I'm always back here riding drag.  :o uh I said RIDIN DRAG NOT dressing------

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »
The base can be as simple as a pole with something on the end that will cut into the ground as you pound on it with a sledge hammer.  For home use that would be very practical too since you wouldn't have to move them around a lot.  Then on the top end you can either drill a hole in it and run a bolt through the target and the pole, cut a length of braided rubber hose to go between the target and the pole, and tighten a nut up on it OR you weld a nub on the top and just put the target down on that.

Thank you also Ms Cammy.There are lots ways to tackle a problem, all one needs to do is know the right doors to knock on and you people are always quick to help someone out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com