Author Topic: 44 colt?  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
44 colt?
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »
I have a Cimmaron Richards  type 2 ordered (yes I joined the multitude waiting for this gun to come in from Uberti).  I  ordered it in 44 colt which I believe is basically historically accurate.  Where do you all suggest I get the ammo from online?
Is 44 colt the same as 44 special or 44-40?  Once I get the ammo I am just sure the gun will follow soon after (wishful thinking!)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: 44 colt?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »
DED;  I believe you can purchase new, properly headstamped cases and ammo.  The .44 Colt CASE is basically in the same family, size wise, as .44 Russian,(.97"), .44 Spl. (1.16"), or .44 Rem Mag. (1.29"), but each has a different length.   .44 Colt is 1.10" in length.

.44 Colt cannot be made from .44-40, nor vice-versa.

In addition, the rim of the Colt round is narrower at .483.  Historically the rims were minimized to fit in Colt and Remington cylinders of limited size when the original conversion work was done.

I'll let others advise you on what fits on what.  Review these threads, as this is a FAQ.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:05:01 AM »
Here is a pic comparing .44 Colt (r+l) to .44 Special (center). The Special got the greater diameter.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:06:07 PM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:08:10 AM »
Comparison of case length of straigth walled .44 cartridges used in cowboy pistols and rifles for pistol caliber: from left .44 Russian (reworked from .44 Mag), .44 Colt (reload with Black Hills case), .44 Special, .44 Magnum
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:46:38 AM »
Thank you to all of you that responded.  This information helps to clarify for me the differences in width and lengths of the different calibers.  This web site is a great place to get accurate information.  Much appreciated.  Now I just have to wait until Uberti decides to ship guns to Cimarron.   I anticipate at least a 2 month wait.  I am sure my ammo will be in the mail long before my gun is.    Deadeye.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
Great pics, Bootsie.  Nothing like eyeball comparisons! 

Where do you live in Germany? (I'm not sure where Hofheim is.) Kennen Sie Fulda?  I spent nearly 8 good years there thanks to Uncle Sugar.

Auf Wiedersehen!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:47:36 AM »
Hi SHB: Hofheim is 10 miles West of Frankfurt or 10 miles East of Wiesbaden or 8 miles North of Frankfurt International Airport. Pretty conveniant to dash away to my cowgirl and cowboy friends in Texas. Fulda is towards the Northeast on the Western side of the former Iron Curtain from Frankfurt/Hofheim. Have been there once or twice. Did you enjoy the beer?
Auf Wiedersehen Bootsie

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »
Bootsie,

YES!  And much of the food, too.  (TOO much of it sometimes!  ::) )  Fulda was only about an hour away from the Frankfurt Airport, so we weren't too far apart.  Were you there from early '83 to late '90?  Take a trip some time to the Kreuzberg, and go to the Monestary; which is nearer to Wildflecken - the bier and scenery are worth the trip!

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread !!

Auf Wiedersehen Jeff
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:43:35 PM »
Hi all,
If you have an OT in .44 spec you can shoot .44 Colt in it, trying to do the reverse doesn't work as the .44 Spec is longer and won't fit in the cylinder (at least not on my OT's), there is also the problem of the .44 Spec having a larger rim size which can also cause problems.

Offline The M&M Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 05:31:15 AM »
Deadeye, I pestered Mike of Ammo Direct to make up 44Colt ammo for us several years ago. He did. Look them up at Ammodirect.com  Good ammo, good people, good prices. M&M
"You know,there are only two things more beautiful than a good gun...A Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere. You ever had a good Swiss watch?" Red River

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you are the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the info regarding ammodirect.   I compared prices with sportsmansguide selling ultramax ammo and ammodirect is clearly less expensive.  I will try a few boxes and see how it compares with ultramax.   If anyone else has experience with ammodirect, I would appreciate hearing about it.  Thank you.  Deadeye

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com