Author Topic: IAB Sharps  (Read 130517 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: IAB Sharps
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
I check out the chamber on every firearm I own.  Don't plan on any surprises.  Any used gun is chamber cast before I fire it if I am not 100% sure about who has owned it before me. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »
 :) Well now that's sort of the rub iisn't it? Brand new rifle just off the production floor, Italian gobermutt proof house marked, and the thing is almost not even the cartridge its stamped for. :o

From what I've been told by a fella that has an exceptional reputation for building match winning bpcrs from scratch, and repairing /andor race readying others, the long chamber isn't all that uncommon on any of the Italian brands. :o
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
Well I know my Pedersoli is dead on to specs.  If it wasn't it would have went back.  Have seen other than Italian guns, not jsut BPCR way off on specs, but I won't bother naming brands, but they'd be ones with real good reps, made right here in this country, some before the magic 1964 date. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 02:32:08 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
Yup and there's a reason there was more bonadidy gunsmiths (as compared to the gunparts changers we find now days :-\) that had thriving business's prior to that magic day in 64 ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »
I know of a well known US  maker sending out a revolver marked 44 mag, barrel was right, cylinder was 45 Colt, cases split for the guy.

Much more serious that a chamber a bit long I would say, one reason I check everything before I fire it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »
That don't sound like anybody attended the QC management training day? ??? ::)

The long chamber on this Taylors really sort of works out in the end anyway. I was thinking to open it up to either the 90 or maybe 110, so as its dang near a 90 the way it sits , I'll just trim back some 90 cases , and go ahead and use it as a 45-2.3  ;D Mostly it'll just be a hunting and sometimes really long range gun, I have my C Sharps now to do the heavy lifting in competition shooting.

Offline Mizura Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »
A friend has an IAB sharps rifle chambered in 45x2.25" Van Choate.  The barrel O.D. measurement at the chamber is smaller than at the muzzle. The barrel was threaded and screwed into the receiver backwards. He only shoots BP in it so I guess he'll be ok with it. I gave him some 457132 Postell bullets to try. Haven't heard from him though  :-\ .

Kid

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
A friend has an IAB sharps rifle chambered in 45x2.25" Van Choate.  The barrel O.D. measurement at the chamber is smaller than at the muzzle. The barrel was threaded and screwed into the receiver backwards. He only shoots BP in it so I guess he'll be ok with it. I gave him some 457132 Postell bullets to try. Haven't heard from him though  :-\ .

Kid

I have a good friend that had the same thing on Sharps made in Montana.  Not only was the outside taper backwards it was ordered with a "gain twist" which means the twist actually got slower the further the bullet traveled down the bore. :o  Obviously the gun didn't shoot well.  The maker was very embarrassed ;).

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
Thats why every new gun or custom gun needs checked well. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
Howdy Fella's,
 I am now the proud owner of 2 IAB Sharps Rifles, I have my 1874 TriStar that I bought here a few months ago, which I am getting it to dail in, and now the proud owner of a sweet 1866 IAB Imported by EMF. Both are 28' oct barrels. And I am very proud to own them. today, and most likely the rest of my life I am no Quigley Down Under. But I can tell you this, from 32 years of shooting long range varmint hunting and Big Game hunting. If you got a good barrel, and when you squezze the trigger and it goes boom and you follow threw on your shot, you can make any rifle shoot good! I have learned a lot in a short period of time loading black powder. If you want to shoot precise groups, you have to match that rifle to a load it likes! This is true with smokeless, except, there are less variables!!On smokeless you mate a bullet to a powder to a charge, with in 3-4 changes and you got it! NOT true on the Black Powder!!!It is a time cosumeing process! But, if you would of gave me these same 2 rifles, in my peak of shooting, I would bet, I could kit that life size Buffalo at 1000yards 50% of the time if not better than that percent!!
 I would also bet you, that you could give me the finest made , tuned, ect., Sharps in the world today, and i would be lucky to hit it 1 out of 10. Back in 1978 I was selling new Cars, Chevy's and Buick, and i allways was #1, butt I was never home untill 10 PM and I would have to take sleeping pill to sleep! I sold several Corvettes, One of the Corvettes I sold was the biggest peice of junk Chevy every made!!
  One last true story. In 1985 I bought a brand new Custom Vincenzo Bernarddeelli spa, I had the local Gun Shop order it and had it sent directly to the custom shop! I paid a TON. but it is a tac driver! I had allways been a 1911 man and still am, but the 9mm's were the thing, about 6 months later i got a chance to buy a single stack mag carry 9mm, It was a very old, most likely it was some of the first  Hellwans made in Egypt on the Berreta Model 52 tooling and jigs that Berreta sold to Egypt! I think it was put toghter out of left over surplus parts, there were no machine marks ect, it was well made, except it has a 20lbs trigger pull, I torn it all down like I have every 1911, worked everything over to glass, narrowed the slide rails and rehoned and lapped, got it to 2 3/4lbs trigger pull, and it would shoot circles around that custom gun! And I had a grand total of $175.00 in it. It now belongs to my son!
So the moral of the story, is if you have a good barrel, it dooesn't matter what name is on it!!
 And in no way was I or intened to brag, all I wanted to do was to tell the truth, facts are facts. I will never own a Factory made Shiloh or C.Sharps, not because I don't like them, but i can take the extra cash and own 4 more cheap reprodution 1800's rifles.
And have a lot of fun!
later Greg
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »
I won't get started  ::) on my 2 Shiloh (1 Berdan Military Rifle & 1 Richmond Carbine) ....both bought new, both had Issues Shiloh would not admit or repair.

on the otherhand , If I ever find another Garrett Sharps (Palmetto Arms) I'm on it  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »
Howdy Magor2,
 Where was these  Garrett Sharps (Palmetto Arms) made? I would like to know more?
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline IE300

• COWBOY HEART
  • Very Active Citizen
  • IT AIN'T A BIG .50 - IT'S JUST A LITTLE 45-70
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Im ready to join! Got my first single shot less than a year ago. It was a mixed parts 50-70 trapdoor that was pretty much of a mutt, but solid as the year 1866. Since it was so ugly when I got it, it only cost me $325. and since it was such a mutt, there was no destroying history when I cleaned it up a little. Didn't know what shootin' was till I pulled the trigger on that Big Bore. Brought a friend to the range with me to try it out, and after he saw me put 5 rounds through it he said, "No thanks." Guess he don't like recoil. Anyway, I sold it for more than I paid for it and bought an H&R Officer's Model for $400. Stripped the wood and rubbed it with BLO which looked a heck of a lot better than that shiny plastic coat they had on the stock. Somebody had messed up the blue on the barrel beyond help, so I stripped off the rest of the blue and polished it and left it in the white. I might eventually give it an old time Springfield Armory rust blue, but for now I kind of like it in the white. Everybody that reads about it says it's historically incorrect and not as the originals were finished. Their right, but everybody that sees it says it looks great. I get the same 2 reactions about having put a real nice dyed horse hair sling on it. Not correct says the naysayers; looks real nice and practicle to boot says the cowboys. Some people try to make me feel stupid by saying, "Well, it's your rifle. Guess you can do what you want with it." To them I says, "Thanks for your permission." Now if it was an original Officer's Model, I think I would respect history and leave it original. But since H&R made it in the 1970's knowing I would someday own it, I think the H&R boys would give me their blessing and tell me to enjoy it. And yeah. I drilled into the lockshaft so I was able to seet the set screw deeper to prevent it from rotating and flying open when I shoot it. I may be dumb enough to make changes I like that aren't original, but I aint stupid enough to ignore a potential safty problem. Especially when the fix is so simple to make it safe. You would have thought H&R would have thought about that when they engineered the gun. They could have still saved their money by doing their 2 piece lock, and still made it safe with about another .50 cents worth of machining.
Anyway, with availablity of ammo and components always a concern, it seemed like the 45-70 was going to be easier to feed than the 50-70. Which brings me to the topic at hand. Having a pretty nice trapdoor rifle did nothing to answer my need to have a Sharps. I had always wanted one, and seeing the new True Grit renewed my desire. But unless I win the lottery, around $500. will probably be my upper limit for spending when I get the urge, no, the need, for a new rifle. Anyway, I recently joined a local collectors club which happened to have a small show a couple of weeks ago. And at the show I saw what I needed. It was a Sharps rifle with a heavy 28" octogon barrel and a really nice set of tang sights, in 45-70. It said Armi S. Marco on the barrel, and it really looked pretty nice. Not new, but close. They guy said he wanted $675. for it. I didn't have the money, but I wanted the gun. At home I did inventory of some things I had planned on selling and figured by getting off my butt and selling my unwanted rifles, I could swing it. At the next club meeting I tracked the guy down and he remembered me. We talked about the sharps, and he said $675., or $550. without the tang sight. Since my eventual plan was to put a leatherwood Malcolm scope on it, giving up the tang sight for a $125. discount seemed the way to go. Met him the next day and the rifle is mine. Took off the wood and rubbed it with boiled linseed oil, and to me it looks about 1000 times better. I'm sure the original Sharps rifles weren't finished with that shiny plastic coating the Italians use to make all the wood on their guns look bad. Touched up the screwheads with a little cold blue and it looks downright elegant. I've stripped it down to look at the insides. There are some rough spots, but all of the bearing surfaces are pretty smooth, and the action is as smooth as anything I've handled. The trigger had a slight first stage, than broke pretty clean at I would guess was about 4 or 5 pounds. I've certainly felt lots of triggers a lot worse than that. The metal to metal and wood to metal fit was certainly on par with anything I would expect to find in that price range. Anybody taken a close look at American made guns lately? To the people who are going to compare the fit and finish of this rifle to a hand made Sharps from one of the American companies, I can only say you need to open your eyes and be fair. From what I've seen, dollar for dollar, a lot of the Italian guns give you a lot more value than the American guns comming off the line. For example, although I think the Pietta revolvers arent top of the line as far as fit and finish go, I would certianly say that the Uberti single actions give the genuine Colt a pretty good run for the money. And even the Pietta's are pretty good when you take their price into consideration. So yeah, a Shiloh Sharps for $2500. is nicer than an IAB Sharps for $700. And a Corvette is nicer than a PT Cruiser. But not everybody can afford a Corvette, and my PT Cruiser starts up and gets me where I want to go. It starts when I turn the key, is reasonably comfortably, and best of all, I could afford to own it. Just like I can afford to own an IAB Sharps rifle. And from what I am reading, there are more than a few people who can place lead just as well with the IAB as they can with the Shiloh. So do I own a Shiloh Sharps? No. Do I own a Sharps rifle that I can hold and enjoy? You bet I do. And when I do get to the range, I bet it shoots as well as a Shiloh Sharps would shoot in my hands. Now le me get back to watching True Grit while I hold my long range rifle and pretend to be a Texas Ranger. And see if you can put a price on that.
HEART & SOUL IN THE OLD WEST

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
IE300, Howdy!

Sounds like you've lined yerself up for a lot of shootin' fun!  Every time I read about an H&R Trapdoor, I get all wishful.  Back when they were new that was the first Big-Bore rifle I ever wanted.  I held one once, but couldn't afford the $125 pricetag.

Keep yer powder dry !

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »
I know of a well known US  maker sending out a revolver marked 44 mag, barrel was right, cylinder was 45 Colt, cases split for the guy.

Much more serious that a chamber a bit long I would say, one reason I check everything before I fire it.
I got one at a gun show one time that must have come from the same maker.  The gun shot fine brass really swelled out, but did not crack.  Shot to point of aim.  Put it in a yeller and black box and sent it back to em.  Had the gun back with proper ciylinder (last 3 of serial number on front of cylinder) in 5 days.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline IE300

• COWBOY HEART
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: IAB Sharps and a few other guns too!
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »
Yeah, I was real happy to get my hands on that H&R Officers Model. I remember back in the 70's when I first saw them in a gun magazine, I thought "Boy. Wish I could afford one of them!" And I was nothin' like a single shot guy back than, but I just thought it really looked like history. I was only 17 years old, but my parents had just moved from New York to Phoeniz Arizona and I was in Gun Heaven! I remember the first time a police officer asked me why I was wearing a handgun, and I told him I was going to show it to a friend. He said "OK Sir. Have a nice day" New York and the Sullivan Act were 2000 miles away and I was a real cowboy for the first time in my life. Felt like home. The gun was a Ruger Single Six Convertable and I was carrying it in a Hunter holster, and they were both Christmas presents from my parents. I had asked for a Colt .22 SA, but my Dad said the Ruger was a better gun. The year before for Christmas I had wanted a Winchester 9422, and my Dad gave me a Marlin model 39M saying it was a better gun. My Dad was right about both guns, but I guess in the long run the Colt would have been a better investment than the Ruger. Anyway, I digress. I wanted the H&R Trapdoor, but couldn't afford it. So my first big bore (by my standards back than) ended up being a SMLE in pretty nice shape after the cosmonline was gone. Got it for $40. and that included 10 rounds of surplus ammo, from Mandalls Shooters Supply in Scottsdale. From up in the hills I could shoot at something a good half mile away, and it sure looked like I was comming pretty close to hitting it. So it wasn't a Trapdoor or a 45-70, but in the hills of Arizona I had my own personal .303 caliber Creedmore Match going as a 17 year old. Long as I didn't run out of ammo or food and water, I was pretty much in heaven. I doubt I'll ever feel so happy again. When I went up to the same hill with my Marlin 39 and a brick of .22's I could be John Wayne all day long. Than I had to go and grow up. Damn! :'(

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »
Back in the day we used to shoot from the north side of the hills near 51st ave and the 101.  Shooting south with a 3006 had we missed the mountain the bullet would have hit empty desert.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline IE300

• COWBOY HEART
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
When we first moved out to Phoenix we rented a house on 67th Ave. built by John F. Long who built about 20,000 other houses just like it. You could buy 'em for about $12,000. but ours was right across the street from about a million acres of cabbage. You know what a million acres of cabbage smells like growing in the desert at 110 degrees? Let's just say it aint something you get used to very easy. Anyway, my parents only rented that house for a few months before we moved away from the cabbage and closer into Phoenix. I used to go shooting up in the hills West of Phoenix in an area where they built and tested Catapliiar tractors, some of 'em big as buildings. I'd go up in the hills and look down. If the tractors were West of me, I'd shoot toward the East. I could see for miles, and there was never any danger of my bullets going astray. That was pretty nice out there, but my favorite place to shoot was called Pinnicle Peak which was North of Scottsdale. Beautiful place. Again, up on the hills a full view of the area around you so you always knew you were shooting in a safe direction away from anybody who might happen along. Mostly just other shooters and a few dirt bikes and doon buggys. You would hear 'em from a long way off, and just take a break from your shootin' until they passed and it was empty desert again. The Pinnicle Peak General Store wasn't too far, so you could get whatever drinks or snacks you needed. End of the day you pack up and head back. Stop at Rawhyde Village for dinner and a cold beer, and if you timed it right you would finish dinner in time to go out to the street for the gunfight and maybe see a bad guy get hanged. I'd let sombody cut off my little finger to have one of those days again. I know Rawhyde Village is still there, but I hear they built condos out in Pinnicle Peak. I guess thats what passes as progress to some people. The people who sell the condos anyway. :-\

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »
There's a heck of a lot more than condos up there now. But Greasewood Flats is still there. Right in Rietta Pass. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline IE300

• COWBOY HEART
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
Well now I went an' dun sumpthin' never thought I'd do. When I was a kid with my Marlin 39M with the 3x7 Tasco knockin' beer cans in the Arizona desert 100 yards away, I just couldn't believe when I heard some people were puttin' scopes on rifles that cost more than the rifles! I mean, if my $10. Tasco was hittin' cans at 100 yards, why the heck would anybody spend more? I guess I knew that a scope for a centerfire would cost a little more cause' it has to be a little stronger. But the glass costin' more than the gun?  Heck, I'd rather buy another gun and make due with a Tasco.
Well, I guess I've grown up. It aint quite cost more than the gun (an IAB Sharps that I got for $550.) , but I just spent about $467. on a Leatherwood Malcolm scope and accessories. Got the 6x 32" scope with a 3" extension tube to fit my 28.5" barrel, fine adjustment set (just the one that upgrades the adjustable mount that the scope comes with, not the real nice $235. precission adjustable mount (thats another day maybe), and a couple of extra tube locking clamps. Buffalo Arms listing says that the scope package comes with one of the clamps standard, but I saved about $40. buying from somebody else, and this sombody else doesn't say in their description if the scope comes with a locking clamp or not. The reason I got 2 was because I had read that sombody found their install was a lot more secure by putting a clamp on both sides of the rear base instead of only on the front side. And I figure if the seller does include a clamp so I have 3, I'll put 2 on the rear base, and maybe 1 on the front base. Or maybe not, we'll see when I start fooling around with the setup.
Now I've read horror stories about these setups, and also read that some people think they are great. I guess I'll see. I know that some people have done the install themselves and had no problems, but a lot of the sellers state strongly that install should be by a gunsmith. Well I aint a gunsmith, but I've done some hobby machine work and I have a decent drill press. I've done some pretty fine drilling and tapping, and my experience has been that when you take your time and measure twice, cut once, you can do OK. In fact, my policy has always been to measure 63 times, and cut once. I figure I'll read as much as I can before I even start, than get the right stuff from Brownell's, and see if I can pull it off. I'm not adverse to paying a gunsmith some money ($50. - $100.?) to do the job, but here on Long Island gun shops are scarce and gunsmiths don't even seem to exist. I suppose if I found one, he would probably have an 18 month waiting list. I have successfully mounted scopes before, but never anything that required drilling and tapping. As long as I had the right rings and mounts it hasn't been a problem.
Now maybe some of you could make some suggestions, either as far as doing it myself or having somebody else do it for me. I sure hope so, because spending that kind of money on a scope setup is hard, but ruining my gun and scope would be a lot harder. Hope to hear from you all, and many thanks in advance!
Yippi Kiyo Kiyay! (Hope I spelled that right!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com