Author Topic: lining  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
lining
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:37:53 PM »

Howdy all.  Was curious as to how one goes about attaching lining to the leather? I'm wanting to make some new holsters and spur straps, and I want to line them, but don't know how to go about. Can ya'll help?   Thanks

"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: lining
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »
I glue mine to the inside of the holster with Barge cement then wrap it around (wetted) and let it dry some. I sew the seam after the holster has taken the curved shape and then wet mold the whole thing. You should have a few different methods here as others read this.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »
Howdy Dawg,

My first holster since the 8th grade [mid 1950's] I lined.  Did it the first week of this past December.  Went to Tandy and got something called "Leather Weld" which is water soluble and goes on like "Elmer's".  I wanted that pretty white rim on the top of the holster, so I stitched the buckskin lining, smooth side to smooth side at the top and then worked it over the edge.  Should have pre-stretched the area of the trigger depression, but will on the next one.   Then I applied the Leather Weld with my finger and smoothed it out and pressed the lining down and made sure that there were no bubbles and let it dry for a couple of hours.  Marked and punched the holes around the 3 sides.  Sewed the bottom and then up the sides.  Should have left some lining to glue over the end. Will on the next one.  Should mention that I sewed the belt strap on before I added the lining.  For the first one in 50 years, it looks pretty good.  I have not wet moulded it yet.  It is for my Belgian 38 S&W British Bulldog and won't be used for main match shooting.  It was a good learning project.  The end of my watch band came apart and I glued it with the Leather Weld and it is holding and quite flexible.  Good stuff! :D

Good luck on your project!!

Dr. Bob
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:05:29 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »
As the Marshall says, there are many ways to do this and lots of fokes doing it different ways.  Now fer a horror story thet will makemany recoil in horror, I do not go to the extra step of rolling in a liner.  I use a 2/3oz calf skin liner and glue it in flat on the bench.  Ive used lots of glues and all have worked well, though I have had a few holsters made by others come in that were seperating fer lack of good glue coverage.  Hidecrafters has a new video out by a pard named Jim Simmons that uses as slick a method as I've seen for rolling them in though.

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:09:09 AM »
so sewing the edges is a smart idea? thats when one wishes they had a sewing machine thats a lot of hand sewing!!! would one use the saddle stitch or is that really needed just to sew the lining edges? I have the  Barge brand glue will give it a shot on some scrap first so ifin i screw it up i wont want to cry!!
Thanks all

"dawg"
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
You do not have to sew the lining in.  I also use cow hide for the lining.  I wet form the outer leather with a bend in it.  Then I put glue on both pieces and lay the lining on the outer leather rough sides together.  I start smoothing the lining to the outer leather where the bend is working out toward each edge.  When I sew the holster together I sew the top edge of the holster pocket as well as the seam.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline vandermd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »
Is it Necessary to line gun holsters at all?  What are the lining material options?  also for my other leather glueing needs ive only used leather craft cement, is this stuff ok, does it stand up with time?

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »
I usually prefer lining my personal holsters but it is definitely not necessary.  Lining with full grain leather adds a bit more rigidity/stiffness and I prefer that.  I've used most of them at one time or another and all have worked resonably well when directions are followed, particularly as relates to bonding and curing times.  A favorite of mine is the use of ruff-out leather, it gives many of the advantages of lining without the extra expense.  It is a very rustic look that some of us oldtimers seem to like.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »
Howdy Dawg,

My first holster since the 8th grade [mid 1950's] I lined.  Did it the first week of this past December.  Went to Tandy and got something called "Leather Weld" which is water soluble and goes on like "Elmer's".  I wanted that pretty white rim on the top of the holster, so I stitched the buckskin lining, smooth side to smooth side at the top and then worked it over the edge.  Should have pre-stretched the area of the trigger depression, but will on the next one.   Then I applied the Leather Weld with my finger and smoothed it out and pressed the lining down and made sure that there were no bubbles and let it dry for a couple of hours.  Marked and punched the holes around the 3 sides.  Sewed the bottom and then up the sides.  Should have left some lining to glue over the end. Will on the next one.  Should mention that I sewed the belt strap on before I added the lining.  For the first one in 50 years, it looks pretty good.  I have not wet moulded it yet.  It is for my Belgian 38 S&W British Bulldog and won't be used for main match shooting.  It was a good learning project.  The end of my watch band came apart and I glued it with the Leather Weld and it is holding and quite flexible.  Good stuff! :D

Good luck on your project!!

Dr. Bob
I'm visually centered. 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 09:04:58 PM »
Howdy Griff,

I'm technologically challenged!  NO digital camera!  Don't know how to get the picture from the camera in to a post here in CAS City.  Other than that, I'd more than happy to oblige! :o :D ;D  Been looking at cameras.  Want one to be able to sell on eBay and don't know what magnification would be adequate for small items close up.  I'll ask and then I need a class on Windows XP and I might be able.  Sure hope so!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »
Howdy Griff,

I'm technologically challenged!  NO digital camera!  Don't know how to get the picture from the camera in to a post here in CAS City.  Other than that, I'd more than happy to oblige! :o :D ;D  Been looking at cameras.  Want one to be able to sell on eBay and don't know what magnification would be adequate for small items close up.  I'll ask and then I need a class on Windows XP and I might be able.  Sure hope so!!

Doc,

I use the pentax s60 digital camera. found it at amazon.com for $109.00
I like this camera because i can take pictures of my leather and woodturning projects without having to fiddle with the d@# menu all the time.
this camera is a kiss(keep it simple stupid) style for me.

as far as lining goes i prefer it. to me it just makes the holster look finished.  you don't need to line the holster, it will work fine unlined.
I have found out the lining helps stiffen up the holster and keep its shape better. I have been using 2 lined holsters for 3 years now. have not had to put tennis balls into holsters to help retain their shape.
tennis balls belong in tennis not in my holsters.
I use 1 to 2 oz veg tanned cowhide to line holsters and gunbelts. just use bargs cement on both pieces, let dry to a tacky feel. then put them together. i fold the holster where it would normaly fold and then roll the linning into the holster.
after everything is sewen up i will submerge the holster in luke warm water for about 20 secs then stuff gun(well oiled, i dont put gun into a plastic bag either.) into holster to shape. after holster is dry and the gun fits it the way i want it, i spray the sealer on it. let dry overnite.

remember one very important thing that i have found out the hard way. the lining leather will decrease the inside dimensions of the holster.
meaning you need to take into acount the extra piece of leather when making your pattern.
I lined 2 holsters and they were too tight for my ruger vaqueros. The holsters fit my ruger single six so it wasnt a total loss.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »
 ;D ;D, Dr. Bob, good  answer! ;D   I know the feeling.  I use a Fuji FinePix, but have to use a doubler from my slr to get closeups.   

I may have to try lined on my new holster project.  Since it'll be my 1st, it can only get better!  I hope!!
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com