Author Topic: Norinco 97  (Read 5542 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Norinco 97
« on: October 14, 2004, 08:37:09 PM »
As a new shotgun sport shooter (and maybe CAS soon) I have been looking for an CAS appropriate shotgun.  I decided to start Trap shooting to get familiar with a shotgun.  I have experience with rifles and pistols but had none with shotgun.  I originally decided to purchase a Stoeger SxS, but after shooting the pump action I bought to try with Trap, I find that I like the pump action.  That pretty much limits the CAS choices to Winchester 97's.  As one who is new to shotguns I'm a little reluctant to start with a Winchester 97.  I find the Norinco 97 copy much more appealing at this time.  Now I find out that our government had imposed a two year import ban on all Norinco products including the 97 and all parts.  It looks like there are still some available but now I am questioning the wisdom of purchasing something for which parts will not be available.  Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have you heard anything further about the import ban.

Thanks in advance,  John

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Norinco 97
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 09:10:41 PM »
JR, They changed importers and are available through IAC. Our own Coyote Cap went over seas and straightened the glitches in them at the factory. The fourth gen.  ones are pretty good now. They are available with 20 or 26" barrels. Another version is being brought in by TTN and is even better than the IAC's. Run about $100 more, but do come with choke tubes....Buck 8) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 12:10:08 AM »
Howdy,

Nothing wrong with a 97 for CAS.  Lot's of folks have good luck with them.  A couple of points for ya..
Trap has little in common with CAS shotgunning.  If you want to shoot clays, have fun and enjoy, but don't expect much in the way of cross-over, except for shucking the pump.  Also, the way you shoulder a shotgun for wingshooting is very different than for shooting the CAS target on the ground.

I have never held a new Chinese 97 that was not rough and sticky.  They almost always need some tuning to get workable and that eats up any price difference between the original and the replica.

Have fun with your new scattergun. Adios,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:57 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com