Author Topic: four misc. Q's  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
four misc. Q's
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:58:26 AM »
1. What was the pistol worn on  Raquel Welch’s delightful derriere in Hanne Caulder??

2. Just how “period” were (was?) the Broomhandle Mauser pistol and the bolt action rifle/ ‘scope In Joe Kidd? I seem to remember reading that the invention of the latter wepon actually predated the marketing of lever actions. Even if this is correct I doubt that they would have found their way to the western US.  Although I know ‘scopes were period correct, I wonder how readily available they were.

3. Does anyone remember a short TV western series set at about 1900 called "Nichols" with Jim Garner?

4. Re: the era between the end of the Civil War and the turn the 20th Century; has there ever been so many books or movies done about such a short time period?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: four misc. Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »
1977 one season only.
James Garner played a somewhat shady character with a line he could sell to anyone. In that way it was similar to the role he played in Maverick. Nichols was better written and funnier than Maverick, but just didn't catch on. I would love to see some reruns sometime!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Free Hand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:08:09 PM »
Same here. I liked the way they used motor vehicles; Jim rode a very early moter cycle (a Harley?). BTW I'm thinking that the man who played Jim Rockford's pal Angel was his sidekick in this one too; is this right?
"If you can't be part of the solution, at least don't be part of the problem"
"America is too great for small ideas"
"Trust in The Lord, but keep yer powder dry"
"America bless God"
 "There ain't no sucha thing as a free lunch!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:57:57 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 07:58:12 PM »
Nichols ran from Sept, 1971 to Aug,1972. James Garner was the Sheriff of Nichols, Arizona in 1914.  Stuart Margolin was Mitchell his Deputy. James Garner produced the show by his production company called Cherokee Productions.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »
Nichols had one of the best lines in Westerns. In one episode, Garner and a young man get trapped in a cellar by baddies. Rooting around for something to fight with, Garner finds what looks like about a 4-guage shotgun with shells the size of the cardboard tube inside a roll of toilet paper. The young guy says: "I don't believe in guns." Garner replies: "That's fine, son, but if you're going to believe in guns, this is the kind to believe in."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com