Author Topic: Broken shell extractor for .45 Colt?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Broken shell extractor for .45 Colt?
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:51:11 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a broken shell extractor for .45 Colt?   ???

Brownell's used to have such an animal, but has discontinued it ...  :-[

Alternatively, does anyone know if the one they still carry for .44-40 might work for .45 Colt?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Big Dipstick

• Dipstick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Broken shell extractor for .45 Colt?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »
Brownells does have a lead like product called Cero-Safe, you melt it down and pour it in the chamber after you have put a patched jag into the muzzle stopping b-4 the chamber.

The stuff works great and can be used over & over, it melts at a very low temp and can even be lelted with boiling water.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »
Brownells does have a lead like product called Cero-Safe, you melt it down and pour it in the chamber after you have put a patched jag into the muzzle stopping b-4 the chamber.

The stuff works great and can be used over & over, it melts at a very low temp and can even be lelted with boiling water.

That method has been used successfully to clear the stubborn separated cases I've had in the past - but a broken shell extractor works in seconds, right there in the field/on the firing line where the problem occurs - letting you get back into action immediately - a very important consideration in timed competitions.  Even the "tight borebrush on a rod" method (which may work ... or may not, particularly if you've only noticed the problem after trying to chamber another round) effectively puts you out of action for that particular stage, since it requires moving to an unloading table  or other safety area to perform the procedure ...
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:10 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »
Jack;  I'd forgotten about it.  The old target shooters talked about using a TIGHT borebrush to push the broken case out.  Apparently works, except if the fragment is seized.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »
Sir Charles:

Yes, have also used that method, but with little success - The problem is that, with a lever-action rifle being fired rapidly in the "heat" of a scenario, one generally doesn't notice the case separation until you've tried to ram another loaded cartridge into the chamber - which definitely does tend to jam the shell fragment in quite firmly!  :-\

At any rate, as mentioned just above - even if a tight borebrush will push out the broken case, that method is of little use to save the situation when the problem occurs in the middle of a shooting stage ....  :P

That is why I am so interested in getting a broken shell extractor for .45 Colt - a nifty little gizmo which can be carried in a vest or shirt pocket and, if the need arises, can be quickly inserted partway into the chamber, whereupon you just cycle the action to extract the cartridge remnant.  Having now seen one in operation (as stated in the other thread I started - in the Coffee Cup, I think) I couldn't believe how well it worked, or how I've done without this long ....   :o

Which brings me back to the original problem - the only place I could find online who even list a .45 Colt version is Brownells, but they have discontinued it!  :'(

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
Jack;  In the Army, I saw one of our "Tiffies" make one on a lathe.  Make a dummiy with the shape of the case but a bit longer.  Relieve the front somewhat, to form a hook, just forward of where the mouth would be.  The front, ahead of the hook should be bevelled.  Saw & file a slot down the result and "splay" the mouth out a bit.  load it, close the action, and it should slip over the front of the fragment.  Working the action should do the trick.  Unfortunately I can't quite recall the exact shape, so you might have to X-spearmint.

Good luck!

BTW "Tiffy" is the nickname used in the Artillery for a armament "Artificer"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com