Author Topic: BP Rifle Cartridge Question  (Read 11852 times)

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BP Rifle Cartridge Question
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 05:19:58 PM »
check out my posting in the other thread on this subject in the HS, as I am too lazy to post it twice. ::) :-[ ;D ;D
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 07:08:26 PM »
Ho the fire,

The DD/PRS 400 grain 45/70 rifle bullet was designed to simplify the loading process while maintaining a wet bore.  So far, the data I've been getting indicates that this is the case.  So, I'm finally getting the message from my guns.  "It's the lube, stupid". . .

A good casting with a smooth flat fully filled base is essential.  Then, the huge twin lube groves filled with your favorite BP lube will do the rest.  Your second, and your last shot, should have the same amount of fouling.  It's the Holy Grail of BP long range rifle shooting.  Shoot dirty, shoot accurate and clean up easy.

I'm still looking at, and getting feedback, on the DD/PRS 400 grain RNFP design.  Sometime this winter I will finalize the drawings on the longer, bore riding, tripple grove 500 grain RN design.  She's long, she's heavy and she's lookin' accurate.

May the far Buffalo ring loud, and often.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Doctor Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • "You ever see a scientist draw a gun?"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 06:56:45 AM »
I had never heard of adding additional powder above the wad before this though I had read in a couple of places about problems caused by wads sticking to the base of the bullet.  The cure I learned for this was to cut little discs of waxed paper and stack like this: Powder - dry wad - grease cookie - wax paper disc - bullet.  One way to check on the purpose of the "over-card powder charge" would be to load up a few shells using grits on top of the wad, a few others with cream of wheat, as well as some with the BP on top method then for good measure, put a few more together with a big glob of lube under the bullet and on top of the wad with nothing else (no waxed paper) in between.  If the theory is right, you should have one group (powder of some sort on top of wad) that averages better accuracy than the other (lube on top of wad).  I would try this out with my 45-120 but right now I am about 600 miles away from my CAS gear and I doubt I will get to do any shooting until next spring.

Doctor Bill

PS PRS & DD, In spite of my affinity for shooting 500+ grain bullets from the 45-120 I may give your new bullet a try just to simplify loading.
Remington Revolver Shooter
Warthog
League of the South
Alchemist and brewmeister extraordinaire

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:29:49 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com