Author Topic: 1866 Rifle question, Swivel/sling & Shoulder scabbard  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Samuel Kiteman Cody

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • SASS, Powder Creek Cowboy. and general greenhorn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1866 Rifle question, Swivel/sling & Shoulder scabbard
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »
I am slowly building my persona and attire and have a question on source and approprateness for my 1866 rifle.
I am attempting duplicate my Uberti with my real 1866. Both are long rifles. The 1866 was an 1874 manufacture.  The original has swivels for a Sling. I would like to replicate the same thing for the Uberti. But cannot seem to find a source. The swivels on the 66 are more like the ones I have seen on a '73, but different. So here are my questions.
1. Does anyone have a source for appropriate swivels and a Sling for an 1866?
2. If no to Q1. Would it be considered acceptable to use more available swivels for the '73,' 92, '95? (I would prefer not)

Also, is there a source for a rubberized canvas shoulder scabbard. My 1866 had one. At least that is what it looks like in my granddad's picture when he acquired it in the 30's. I am assuming he threw it away, as it was not with the rifle when it was given to me.

I have seen Major Matt's attention for detail and am in awe. I know it will take years to achieve that. I am just attempting to make both by persona(s), attire, and arms as accurate as possible. Call it personal attitude, I want to show up complete in Garnett, not just a hodge-podge.

Cheers

Sam Cody

Never underestimate the power of Stupidity,
or
a 45-90 Winchester Express

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1866 Rifle question, Swivel/sling & Shoulder scabbard
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »
Look to VTI for possible replacement parts - or contact Uberti via their website.

There was an outfit named 'Buckingham's' that specialized in odd Winchester replacement parts - I saw his ads in the 'Shotgun News'.

In looking at Madis' 'The Winchester Book' - sling swivels aren't all that common - but as you've noticed - they are more or less specific to the Model.

The replica sling is available through S&S Firearms and through Dixie Gun Works - probably made by the same source.

As to the rubberized case - you're pretty much on your own, since they're more associated with the turn of the century than with the frontier era.

The cases that can be 'dated' to the era are made of canvas and canvas and leather, and those can still be easily found.

Think - 'cheap canvas gun case' and you'll see them at the gun shows in varying conditions.

There were better cases - but mostly for shotguns, as they're designed for a take-down weapon.

Assembling your Impression should be easy - given the advice here and in the 'Historical Society Forum'.

Just do some reading and research to figure out what you want to portray before you start spending any money.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:52:06 PM »
I would think that swivels off a Henry would be appropriate, at least for the rear.

What is the date for your impression?  They must have not been very popular since neither the 1895 Montgomery Wards nor the 1897 Sears catalog have them.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:14 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »
S&S Firearms and Dixie Gun Works both carry replacement swivels of varying types that may work. If you could get a couple of good digital photos to include with a request by e-mail it might help them let you know if they have something similar.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »

I have seen Major Matt's attention for detail and am in awe. I know it will take years to achieve that. I am just attempting to make both by persona(s), attire, and arms as accurate as possible.

???

Ah, Okay.... ;)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »
I would think that swivels off a Henry would be appropriate, at least for the rear.

What is the date for your impression?  They must have not been very popular since neither the 1895 Montgomery Wards nor the 1897 Sears catalog have them.

Will Ketchum
I am going after one of the most  interesting time periods in Kansas, 1872-1885. Most of the primary towns and counties are started and incorporated in central and western Kansas, I have two personas,
Persona #1 is a land speculator around Hutchinson,1876 who later becomes a Farmer/Rancher in Eastern New Mexico.  This is the good Persona (also an amalgram of my Great Grandfather and my Gr-Great Grandfather.
Persona #2 is a town clerk who has had to leave Boston in a hurry This was due to having left with a bit too much money from a bank at which he was working. This causes him to be somewhat nervous in certain situations. This is the bad Persona. A person my Gr-Great grandfather mentions in his journals.

Both Personas did not like horses and one used a wheelbarrow to get to Hutch, rather than a horse from the boat at the City of Kansas. Thus the use of a sling for the rifle.

Cheers

Sam Cody
or

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 08:54:22 PM »
Well if your period is 1876 then you could have a swivel from a 73.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:32:48 AM »
IBoth Personas did not like horses and one used a wheelbarrow to get to Hutch, rather than a horse from the boat at the City of Kansas. Thus the use of a sling for the rifle.

Cheers

Sam Cody

Anybody tough enough to push a wheelbarrow from Kansas City to Hutchinson probably didn't need a rifle!

;D ;D

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:32:12 PM »
Here's the best picture I could find of swivels on an 1866 rifle (disregard the enclosed striker), it's from pg 75 of Houze's book on Winchesters:

The same swivels are shown on an 1866 rifle on the cover of the 1870 Winchester catalog. The 1893 catalog also lists these on the parts page with a footnote that they are the same ones used for the 1866, 1873 and 1876. Either the stock swivel with screws or the tip swivel were .40 cents each. If they were ordered on the rifle when new they were $1.50 including the sling.

OK, the picture looks really bad in the post...if you right click and choose "view image" you'll see the real photo.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 11:07:34 PM »
Thanks L. Gunman,

Those look an awful lot like the ones on my original, The only difference is the front were a bit more rounded. I have decided to go with the 1873 Swivels.
\\\\\\\\\

In re: Wheelbarrowing to Hutch from Kansas City, My understanding there were people that did it from Kansas City to Colorado during the Colorado gold rush. I do not have a picture, but as he was Irish, I would bet it looked like a drayman's Cart seen in the country side of Ireland or sorta like the ones at a Railroad station during that time. I will say this he was tough as nails, but all of his son's were known for their gentle nature.

Cheers

Sam Cody
or

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »
Sam,
recently there have been a couple of threads in here talking about the history of Canadian Metis and Mormon handcarts, with pics. Might provide some ideas for what may have worked. Seemed the basic design for handcarts was fairly consistent.

Both Lone Gunman and Rattlesnake Jack posted good information.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com