Author Topic: Ruger "New Model" Blackhawk  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger "New Model" Blackhawk
« on: November 11, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
I have just ordered a Ruger "New Model" Blackhawk in .45 caliber (Long Colt) from my dealer.
 Can anyone give me any specifics pro and con on this Ruger?---like is the frame still the same and can handle "heavy" (hunting loads). I am buying this particular model because of the ajustable rear sight.
  I'm not much good beyond 15 yards with my OM Vaqueros and a twenty-five yards and beyond------- pishaw! ::) :-[
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger "New Model" Blackhawk
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »
Frames and grips are smaller, as are the cylinders. These and the NRV's are resrticted to the SAAMI level loads for .45Colts. Hotter loads usually marked for Ruger only are NOT recommended for these guns...............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
Thank you Mr. Buck I hadn't comtemplated going beyond the SAAMI recomendations but this is good to know.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:42 AM »

Offline Roy Mason

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »
Unless they are the 50th Anniversary Blackhawks in .357 they are the same old size and strength they have been since 1973.  Ruger has introduced the New Model Vaqureo with fixed sights which is smaller, but they don't make them in .45 Colt.
A fast gun and a sharp wit.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:21:57 PM »
No,
this is the "New Model Blackhawk" BN455 .45 Colt Caliber blued  OAL 11 3/8 Twist 1:16 RH weight 37 1/2 oz Front sight ramped rear sight adjustable SRP  $482.00 Are you positive about your post? Mr. Buck seems sure that they are built on the NV frame.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Joe Lafives

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
It would have to be a New New Model Blackhawk which doesn't exist.  The old model blackhawk (known as a "3 screw" - or even older - a "flattop" ) did not have the transfer bar system.  When Ruger went to the transfer bar system in 73. they started called them New Model blackhawks.   The New Model Vaquero is sized like the old model Blackhawks.  Blackhawks are generally great pistols - both old and new model with advantages to both.  Old models are a bit handier, the new model is a bit heavier and probably the safest revolver made.
SASS 5481L

"Chewing gum online,  I hope you brought enough for everybody."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
One must also remember Ruger don't tell ya you can shoot loads over SAAMI specs in any of their guns. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »
Wasn't plannin to Mr. Delmonico
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »
The so called "heavy huntin' loads" listed for Ruger only are over SAMMI spec's. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »
  I consider any load above "Cowboy loads"  as "heavy." According to Hodgeton's 2006 reloading manual pg 132; 45 Colt
(Ruger, Freedom Arms &TC only) 250 Gr. bullet Hornaday XTP, I can start at 8.0 grs of titegroup and work up to 9.5
creating between 21,100 CUP and 29,100 CUP I don't load my "Cowboy" cartriges to the Max allowed so there is no chance that I will load my hunting loads to the max. I am hunting with a .45 LC caliber OM Vaquero built on the Blackhawk frame not the smaller NV frame.
 But This is about the "New Model Black Hawk" If I find that the NMBH I have on order is made with the NV frame I will tailor my reloads accordingly.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »
Well i hate to break it to you, but those loads you list are far above SAAMI specs.  So if you ain't plannin' on shooting loads above SAAMI specs yer in trouble already.  Do you even know what SAAMI means?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »
Yes! Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute and their recomendations Note recomendation NOT Carved in stone law.
 In a [ small framed .45 LC] the max  load listed (in the same Hodgdon manual  the max load for .45 LC is 6.2) I load my "cowboy loads" 5.8 Titegroup well below the high end limit. I have been loading 6.0, 6.1  hunting loads Titegroup in my OM Vaquero still below the highend limit of Hodgdon romended loads for "cowbow shooting" I said that Hodgon 's listed loads for  Ruger etc., etc. started a 8.0 and ended at 9.5 I didn't say that I had worked up to those loads.
 THOSE ARE rather heavy. But Hodgdon says in print, that those loads are safe in my OM Vaquero.
 Are you saying that Hodgdon is mistaken? in their data which they have tested and retested and----
Or are you saying that they knowingly put out fase data?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 06:50:08 PM »
"New Model Blackhawk"
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Single%20Action&famlst=13

is the same gun that Ruger has built since 1973

The 50th Anniversary Blackhawk is the one built on the same size frame as the "New Vaquero."

You can shoot "dang near" any load that you can hold in the "New Model" Blackhawks.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »
No, what I'm saying for the last time is that the Ruger only data is above SAAMI specs for 45 Colt, not that it is unsafe in the Ruger pistol.   SAAMI limits is is well below what you quoted Hodgdon pressures as.  SAAMI specs are in the black powder pressure range for 45 Colt sinche it was originally a black powder round.  SAAMI specs can not be higher than what the weakest gun made for a round will handle.   Since the Colt SAA was the first made, the ammo that is under SAAMI specs is what the SAA will handle.

Pehaps you should do more reading and learn to understand what you read, rather than just start asking questions.  Knowledge is a wonderful thing and is best gotten by doing much serious study before asking questions.  You need to have more knowledge before you say things like you did about not loading above SAAMI specs, someone could read some of the things you post and get the wrong idea.  Think carefully before you post something, such is what makes the internet so hard to use when trying to learn.

And for the last time, RUGER ONLY DATA IS ABOVE SAAMI SPECS PERIOD.  IT IS NOT UNSAFE IN A RUGER, THATS WHY IT IS RUGER ONLY DATA

Also when you get this gun you will find out it is built on the larger frame, just like the old Vaquero, just like everyone has told you.  If you don't want honest answers don't ask questions.  
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »
Thanks Ten ZZZZZZZZZZ That is what I wanted to know.

Mr. Delmonico presupposes That I ask "stupid" questions.
 As I learned a long time ago; "the only stupid questions are those not asked."
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 07:45:21 PM »
That saying was invented by someone who wants and excuse for not taking it upon them selves to do any digging.  If you ask a question and you argue with folks they end up not giving a damn. 

You have been told many times that Ruger Only data is above SAAMI specs, yet it does not sink in.  If you don't want an honest answer, don't ask a question.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »
You just don't get it do you?

I asked if the New model black hawk was built on the same frame as the OM V because I wanted to know that it would stand up to heavy loads not that I was planning to shoot "edge of the envlope" loads
I wanted to know that because I want a large field for safty, not experimentation and you do come out of nowhere with your comments I am, was and will be ever aware of SAAMI recomendations. Your answers may be honest but they are edged with sarcasem. If you can't answer politely than do me a favor and don't answer my posts.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Go back and read the third post and then the fact you argued when you were given the right answer.  Then you muddle it on down and make it so someone once again has to clairify things because you say "Heavy Hunting Loads" and then you say you don't excede SAAMI specs.  Any one who understands and reads published information knows the Ruger Only loads EXCEED SAAMI specs, but no you muddle one in your own world adding to the confusion for some person who is just getting started, but heck you don't care if you get what you post right, don't make durn fool statements that need corrected and I won't bother you again.  Post wrong information and I'll be there, now do you understand cause I can't draw pictures worth a damn. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Be-A-triss Bandit

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
Mr.. Cyrille sir,
With all do respect, you did not define "heavy hunting loads" quantitatively.  Commercial "hunting loads" are within SAMMI spec. You did not specify if you were asking about loads which are above SAMMI specification and yet argued with the answers.  The responsible answer is no handgun, regardless of manufacturer, is safe to fire with loads over the manufaturer's stated safe limit.  Ruger states SAMMI spec.  ::)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 05:06:24 PM »
Ok: I didn't explain what I meant by "heavy hunting loads" on my first  post. Sorry about the oversight.
 I meant any hunting load that is within SAAMI specs but higher than "allowable" cowboy competition loads
or SASS/CAS specs.
 I was also courious as to the frame on which the "New Model Black Hawk is built. To tell the truth I picked up my NMBH today and was surprised to find that it is 4.25 oz  less than The OM Vaquero Both revolvers are 5.50" in length.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com