Author Topic: The Four-Day Weekend...  (Read 4200 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Four-Day Weekend...
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was assigned as the Surgeon to the Canadian First Field Artillery Brigade.

He had served during the Boer War, and was no stranger to hardship and carnage, but the fighting in the Ypres Salient was so horrendous, that it caused him to write this as a sort of release, after he'd just buried a friend.

It was penned at the Dressing Station on the banks of the Canal de l'Yser.

Dissatisfied with it, McCrae tossed the poem away, but a fellow officer retrieved it and sent it to
newspapers in England.

'The Spectator', in London, rejected it, but 'Punch' published it on 8 December 1915.

He died while on active service on the 28 day of January, 1918.

Before his death, he wrote:

'In Flander's fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row.
That mark our place; and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amidst the guns below.

We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved;
and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe!
To you from failing hands, we throw the torch.
Be yours to lift it high.
If ye break faith with those who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies blow
In Flanders fields.

After the Great War, this poem was read at Armistice Day gatherings, celebrating the end of the 'War to End All Wars', on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Like Decoration Day - it was a time for reflection and for cleaning the gravestones of loved ones.

Then - some bright soul decided that - since folks were generally all off work - that they could also use their time to buy things - and they could buy even 'more' things and go places to spend money if they combined a couple of days set aside by a grateful Nation to honor their war dead, and re-named them to call them 'Veteran's Day' - and thus - the four-day weekend was born.

Go - buy stuff, and enjoy yourself - but in between trips to the mall - swing by the cemetary and take just a couple of minutes to tell someone 'Thanks'.

They'll appreciate the gesture.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The Four-Day Weekend...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »
"Flander's  Fields" is recited at every Rememberence Day Service in Canada on November 11th and in the schools the week leading up to the 11th.  Unfortunately, most people, when reciting it, do not use the punctuation, therefore, failing to give it the depth it deserves.

We will not break faith with those who died.

Just as an aside, do Americans wear the poppy on their lapels as we do here.  The reason I ask, is that when watching the Detroit Red Wings at home to the Edmonton Oilers the other night, I didn't see anyone in the stands with a poppy.  Yet, the Red Wings coach was wearing one. Possibly because he is Canadian.

Just wondering.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:55:07 AM »
Its time to pull this topic back up again!

The struggle for a better and safer world continues for many countries, not just the US and the Commomwealth.

WE will not break faith with those who died.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:41 PM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:10:08 PM »
Just as an aside, do Americans wear the poppy on their lapels as we do here.  The reason I ask, is that when watching the Detroit Red Wings at home to the Edmonton Oilers the other night, I didn't see anyone in the stands with a poppy.  Yet, the Red Wings coach was wearing one. Possibly because he is Canadian.

I can't speak for elsewhere in the US, but I used to see the VFW or other veteran's organizations distribute them about this time of year, however I've not seen any for quite a while.  Makes me wonder if somehow they have become "politically incorrect". 

I used to wear one I picked up for Remembrance Day in the UK back around 1997, but it finally fell completely apart a few weeks ago.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:19 AM »
I'm sorry to say that the only time I've seen this wonderful custom is when I visited my wife's family in Scotland.  Never here at home.  :(
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »
I remember seeing people passing out the poppies up until about 10 years ago.  Haven't seen it since.

I usually got several and passed them out.  Haven't been able to replace the one I got in the UK and now I don't have one to wear anymore.

Now it appears that most have forgotten what the day actually means and see it as only another shopping sales weekend.  I see much the same for Memorial Day.   Rather a sad commentary on our society. 

Interestingly enough, there was a letter in the op-ed section of the paper today written by a soldier who recently returned from Iraq and is now at Georgetown University.  He said that he sees little evidence that Americans realize they are in a war.  They continue their normal daily lives as if there is no war and people are being killed (except when it suits a political agenda to raise the issue). 

I have to agree with him.  I work in DOD, and several of us have been to Iraq or Afghanistan (and we're all government civilians, not soldiers), so we're pretty conscious of what is going on, but when I talk to others outside of work, its as if the war was happening on another planet.  It appears few Americans actually know anyone who has gone to Iraq or Afghanistan, let alone have been there - the war just isn't real for most of Americans dispite the news each night.  We're too embroiled in our daily pursuits to care. 

My apologies for preaching - this is rather a sensitive subject with me and those I work with.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
US Scout;  Too late for this year, but I'm sure The Royal Canadian Legion could be persuaded to assist in sourcing poppies for future years?!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
The VFW passes out Poppies on Memorial day.  Today we'll set flags in the local cemetarys, and Monday we'll do presentations at the local High School.  Your local VFW will have lots of Poppies for anyone who asks.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
Well;  Its evening of the 11th.  As long as these wars continue, we should remember every day.

At the Cenotaph  this morning we were asked to wear something RED on Friday to remind ourselves and others that our forces overseas are prepared to shed their blood for our freedoms.

I marched in the parade with the Legion, yes, I am a member, wearing my Blue peacekeepers beret.  I also wore my blazer with the artillery crest on the pocket and my tie was the red/blue lighnting stripe of the artillery.  Also parading were the RCMP in Scarlet, fire department, cadets, and boy scouts.  Masons and Knights of Columbus also marched

It brought tears to the eye to see old men limping along proudly in step, and remembering their drill and marching skills after all these years.  A speech was made by a father who recently lost a son in Kandahar province.  Wreaths were laid by the family, as his mother is now a "Silver Cross Mother".  Wreaths were also laid on the Cenotaph by politicians of all levels.  In Fact, our Mayor wore his Legion outfit.

Two young Air Cadets played "The Last Post" and did very well.  The most credit should go to the three young Cadets and a Mountie who stood guard on the Cenotaph at "Rest on Your Arms Reversed" throughout the ceremony without moving a muscle.

PS 14 Nov 07;  Tuesdays paper had two full pages of photos and write-ups.  There I was, in the background behind some Cadets.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: The Four-Day Weekend...Poppies
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 01:29:43 AM »
Howdy,

We always have VFW Buddy Poppies on hand at the National WWI Museum.  I will be organizing at least 1 tour during the NCOWS convention in February.  I will be happy to bring some over to the Convention for any who desires one.

At the Museum Sunday, there was no admission charge and 3,852 people came.  Over 1,200 in the first half hour, after the ceremony outside.  A record setting day.  Directed the French military representative to see the portion of the mural that was painted in Paris 1914- 1918.  Was in my original uniform and had my picture taken quite a bit.  One Japanese couple [our allies in WWI] requested one with me.  When we were done the man, dressed in a nice suit, offered me his hand and we bowed as we shook hands.  Then he stepped back and gave my a very smart salute, which I happily returned.  I was very move by this exchange.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 12:17:36 PM »
Below is the type of poppy sold each year in Canada by the Royal Canadian Legion - in numbers in the order of 15 million annually (total population of Canada is less than 35 million) ....

Link to a 'factoid' page from the Veterans Affairs Canada website - http://198.103.134.2/remembers/sub.cfm?source=teach_resources/poppy

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
My son paraded in England with the 3d Bn Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.  He says the UK poppies turn to mush in a light drizzle.  I know the Canadian ones, tho they seem like paper, can last through a lot.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 11:47:16 PM »
The 'original' poppies - sold and worn after the Great War and on - were made of red tissue paper.

I have a number of them in my WWI collections - some have a small 'flag' indicating which American Legion Post sold them.

Later poppies are made of a hard, pressed paper not unlike a good paper plate - and they'll last a lot longer.

Years back - these were actively sold downtown by vets - but with the widespread construction of shopping malls - they're not often seen.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
Actually, for at least a few years now, the Canadian poppies are made of a rather durable plastic of some sort, with crosshatched reinforcing visible on the back, but a flocked surface on the "visible" side ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com