Author Topic: This is gonna be interesting  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This is gonna be interesting
« on: October 24, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »
When I had Spur convert the first two Marlins  to Cowboy .45 Special, complete with "the ultimate .45 Short Stroke", I figured they needed something special to identify em, so this is what I did.

The emblems of course made from cartridge case heads, with the numbers "1" and "2" respectively, engraved by hand in the center pieces..

Somebody suggested that we make the emblems available for the next few conversions, commemorating the "initiation" of the Cowboy .45 Special in the short stroked Marlins.

So, I made up #s 3 through 10, to send off to Spur, so each of the first ten rifles can be so appointed.

Gonna be interesting to see where they end up.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: This is gonna be interesting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »
Great lookin' guns AJ.  I like it when a pard puts his touch on his personal persuader.  Now, whut should I put on my Browning 92s???

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
Thanks DD.

I'm thinkin on the finish on the Marlins.They both have some pretty nice wood, IMO, but I abhor the current "plasticote" or whatever it is they use.  Might be they get chemical stripped (so's the checkering don't get screwed up) and done with oil.  Might make a good winter project (like I need one :)  )

On yer '92s, I dunno.  A personal touch is, well, personal.  Kinda like chosing a date fer another feller.  Hard to do.  :)
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:18 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:11:15 AM »
Howdy AJ,

My bride had a furniture refinishing shop for a number of years.  We stripped and finished a good number of firearm stocks.  The stuff on the Marlin stocks is likely similar to the stuff Remington uses.  If so, it's polyurethane or some derivative of it.  Most stock finishers use a polymerized type of finish that is difficult to strip.  You will want a good Methylene Chloride based stripper.  Use protective gear and have LOTS of ventelation.  Once you "crack" the finish it will strip off easily.  We used a huge vat and submerged items in it.  That takes a lot of stripper.

After the finish is broken you need to get it clean fast.  The stuff likes to "dry" right back on unless you do.  We used a special pressure washer with a pressure reduction gizmo that reduced the shreding of the wood.  Following the stripping and rinsing you may want to use a good wood bleach to restore the new look to the wood.  After the stock is dry, sand it only enough to remove any obvious fuzz.  Make sure and get it down to 8% or lower moisture before you begin refinishing.  Then, apply the stain of your choice and build the oil layers and sand between applications.  When you get done, the stock will have a smooth soft satin glow that says "touch me".

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com