Author Topic: Help with vest  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help with vest
« on: October 05, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »
I'm making a vest.  The front and back are leather and the lining is a thin lining fabric.  I made a test vest first out of all fabric and that came out pretty good.

The problem with the leather vest is how do I get the seams where the leather and fabric meet to lay flat?  The leather being stiffer than the fabric pulls the fabric up.

On the all fabric vest I was able to iron the seam to make them flat.

Any suggestions?

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Help with vest
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:43:05 AM »
I have no experience with this but will gladly try to help you ruin your project.  What will happen if WE dampen those already sewn seams and either roll or gently tap/press them down (each 'seam half' folded back 180deg as if like creating wings) as tightly as possible with a smooth face hammer?  If this helps then WE can allow it to dry and then lightly apply glue to both contact areas before reapeating the pressing step one more time.  If this works WE can be proud of ourselves but if not, I'm sorry YOU messed up.  I really hope someone who is not from Georgia steps in with real experience such as Nolan Sackett (Botas may have a similar seam).   

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »
Bob, thanks for the suggestion and it may have been the way to go but I have closed all the seams and can not get at the inside now.

I am currently trying a damp cloth over the seam and pressing it with a steam iron.  I have to do one area at a time and let it air dry before doing the next area or the seam will unfold.

I had made a couple of leather patch work pillows out of all leather and was able to use the above method with good results.  The leather and fabric combo is turning out to be more difficult.  Since I'm making this for use in cool (cold) weather CAS shoots I'm not looking for perfection.

My experience so far is that using a damp cloth and steam iron the leather has had no adverse effects.  I've used this method on clothing/unholsery weight leather.

SR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:53:27 PM »

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
Silver Rings, I know most leather suppliers who carry leather tools sell leather creasers. I placed a little order today with Siegel of California and I know thay have them on sale.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »
I did a little research at the local Corral West clothing store.  On their leather vest that are made with a cloth lining like I did, they stitched the seam down.  I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

If I ever get it finished I'll post some pictures.

SR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com