Author Topic: Round knife  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Buffalo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Round knife
« on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »
I notice a lot of leather work on here that would look allot better with the proper use of a round knife. If the rounded edges of your leather looks like you cut it with a hack saw (kind of jerky) and not a nice rounded curve you need to learn how to use a round knife  properly. I don't know if there are any books out that tell you how or not. I don't mean to come across like a smart a$$ either, I just hate to see all your hard work not look as good as you expected. If any one knows of a book or video out let us know. Otherwise some night I'll try to explain the best I can. With a little practice all your projects will look like they came from the best holster maker around, not like home made.
Buff

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Round knife
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »
The problem I ran into with a rround knife is sharpening the thing. 

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:47:04 PM »
The old Bianchi tapes and the holster one put out by hidecrafters both spend a fair amount of time explaining edge finish using the two different leatherworkers preferred method.  Neither go straight from the cut edge to the final dress coat though.  Might be interesting technique I could use when you have time to show us.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:43:01 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »

I have the same problen, I use the medium and fine grit stones from my Lansky, it's still not what I would like. I have been told by a couple saddlemakers to locate a Barbers strap.  Have to agree with Buffalo about the finished product, in which I am guilty of also
Mathew 5.9

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
I been wanting one of these barber strops, just to sharpen my skinning knife.

http://www.bonika.com/razorstrop.html
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Dogface

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
    • BCVC
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »

There is a guy that makes a set of wheels to fit on  your bench grinder.  One  has some fine grit imbedded and the other is just layers of cardboard pressed firmly together.  To sharpen the knife...any knife....I never use the grit wheel but the other one, with white rouge applied, makes short work of keeping the edge sharp.  I sharpen each time I start a project.  Darn if I can find the source just now.  Some help..I know.  Try gun shows or do a google search.  If I can find a link I'll post it.  This device is THE way to go. 

Just found a link:  www.sharpknives.com/sharpeners_sharpwheels.htm

Dogface
Barbary Coast Vigilance Committee #6
SASS 4729 Life

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:48:10 AM »
Good link, Dogface. I learned to use one of the fine Cratex wheels (He calls them rubberized) when I worked in the leather shop. A quick brush across that on each side and the knife was ready to go again. I'll have to try the pressed paper. That sounds like it could be a good one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 04:26:48 PM »
The paper wheels do work great for sharpening but they are very short on understanding if ANYTHING gets caught against the grain (it will grab everytime).  Take my word for it and take extra care out at the tips of those round knife blades.  The tips are understandably the most important part of the sharpening process for your round knives but DO NOT LET THAT TIP CATCH ON A PAPER WHEEL.  I quit using them after a very close call that actually left a perfect side print of the blade as a blister on my thigh (through heavy bluejeans).  I hate to think what would have happened if the blade had gotten tipped a bit more in flight.  Be forwarned and be careful.     

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »
I quit using them after a very close call that actually left a perfect side print of the blade as a blister on my thigh (through heavy bluejeans).  I hate to think what would have happened if the blade had gotten tipped a bit more in flight.  Be forwarned and be careful.
Good advice, there. Not a concern for me since I don't use a head knife, but there may be a lot of pards here who do.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:17 AM »
   Don't think I'll use one on my Head Knifes, but I think I need one in the "cave" for other knife projects.  Thanks for the link Dogface.
Mathew 5.9

Offline pa.bluesman

• Citizen
    • Brookwood Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »
Pardon me fellas, as I am brand new here, I know it's not my place to be critical ~~~
But safety is no accident ! Putting a round knife on a powered wheel is an invitation for disaster. At least have 911 on the speed dial and your finger on the button before you try and dress your knife that way. I have been pretty successful in getting a keen edge using light pressure and allowing my fingers to help maintain the correct angle against the stone. Years ago I had a barber's strop, but it was stolen along with all my other leatherworking tools. It's easy to make up your own. Just glue a strip of hide, flesh side up, to a conveniently sized piece of wood. Shape a handle at one end if you wish. Now rub white jewelr's compound into the flesh. You can also add a strip to the other side of the board and use jeweler's rouge on that side for an even finer edge
Bob
See my ad in the classifieds for a nice Tippmann Boss Stitcher
Click the link to the ad ~
http://www.cascity.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/57

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com