Author Topic: Olive oil, not just for salad anymore.  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Olive oil, not just for salad anymore.
« on: September 22, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »
The recent thread about replacements for sperm whale oil contained a comment that olive oil is a NON-DRYING oil.  Those who have used some of the modern super oils will note that some tend to disappear after a while, leaving metal vulnerable.  Further, if used as a soaking agent, eventually will dry up and add to the surface gunk instead of loosening it.

I have a little project I've been working on lately, trying to GENTLY debride century old crud from a Rolling block.  Such parts as barrel bands are really funky, yet because they are pretty soft iron, I don't want to get aggressive with them.  The barrel has a nice patina, but I'd like to GENTLY loosen some of the crud leaving a lesser, but still attractive patina behind.  Understand this gun is a shooter, but is also a complete original example, lacking only the original bayonet, so I didn't wanna go nuts on it.

Enter the bottle of olive oil the wife uses to cook with.

I wet down the barrel bands as an experiment, and left them to soak for a couple of days.  Much of the hard crud on the insides had softened, and some actually came off with just a paper towel.  Encouraged, I brushed the pieces with a nylon brush in a dremel, and got a controllable reduction, leaving as much or as little "patina" behind as desired.  On the outside of the barrel, I wet it with olive oil, and simply rubbed it down with a dry paper towel once a day, then reapplied the olive oil.  I can literally take away an even "layer" of crud, yet leave the patina of a lovely antique behind, and have no fear of rust when shooting it.

So, with this info, I was talking with a fellow with a new inline muzzle loader the other day.  He's got one of those $199  specials with the plastic stock and rough exterior with cheezy bluing.  I told him I think I'd yank it out of the stock and give it a good slobber of olive oil, wipe it off with a paper towel, and restock it.  he's fixing to hunt with it, so let's see how it works out.  :)
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Olive oil, not just for salad anymore.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
PLEASE DON'T WASTE GOOD EV OLIVE OIL FOR THIS !!!!!
Use the cheap stuff !!  ;D

Mike

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:04:13 PM »
Oh yeah, I just used cooking grade :)

If I was gonna soak parts by immersion, I'd get the stuff ya can buy by the 5 gallon can, sludge grade :)

Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:38:31 PM »

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
Never tried it on guns, but I do know that olive oil is the best thing by far to both season cast iron cookware with and to maintain the seasoning with. ;D  As for the expensive stuff, I never buy it, it has no flavor. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com