Author Topic: We got a lotta smart cowpokes around these parts. (Improved toggle link carrier  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I got an email from a pard name of Wewoka Bill wanting to show off (and give me) his design for a cartridge stop to make the Cowboy .45 Special run in the toggle links.  He made it work in a '60 Henry, but the design will work in the '66/'73 as well, with only a slight, insignificant change.  Then I chatted with another feller, name of Happy Trails, about it, and he was tellin' me about his plan for a skelatonized carrier for the toggle links to make em run better with BP.

We "merged" the two concepts, and Happy Trails agreed to work with me to bring out a drop-in, fully BP compatible, skelatonized '66/73 carrier that will work with the Cowboy .45 Special (OR LONG COLT if ya pop out the cartridge stop).

I expect it will be available in due course, along with the Johnson/Peterson BIG LUBE  bullet, or even the EPP/UG 147 if ya don't mind the big soft round nose), we'll be loading on Sunday and shooting TWO weeks. :)

Gotta admire the cowboy ingenuity these pards bring to the sport.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
AJ,

While not knowing what this mod looks like could it, or something similar, be used to convert a '73 in 44 Special to 44 Russian?

If so, this may open up quite a market.

Thanks.

HHW

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
AJ,

While not knowing what this mod looks like could it, or something similar, be used to convert a '73 in 44 Special to 44 Russian?

If so, this may open up quite a market.

Thanks.

HHW

Yep, it sure could.  I've been burning up the telegraph with the metalsmiths, and it's gonna happen.  Stay tuned.

Advertising

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Just a heads up here but a skeletonized carrier is banned in NCOWS and why is it needed?  ??? I've shot BP in a Henry & '66 for years and never had a fouled carrier block, but then I shoot 44-40's. Also, NCOWS will probably not approve the .45 Special cartridge as it really is not representative of an authentic cartridge from the Old West. As far as SASS & its "gonzo" rules go I don't know as I don't shoot SASS. I'm not trying to pee on the parade here, it's just that I don't want to see an uninformed NCOWS member purchase these to only be told at a shoot that they are not legal.

Offline Linn county ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
ok I have to ask what is a .45 special ?
sass
ncows
soot lord
lassoos # 88
nra life
usmc

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Just a heads up here but a skeletonized carrier is banned in NCOWS and why is it needed?  ??? I've shot BP in a Henry & '66 for years and never had a fouled carrier block, but then I shoot 44-40's. Also, NCOWS will probably not approve the .45 Special cartridge as it really is not representative of an authentic cartridge from the Old West. As far as SASS & its "gonzo" rules go I don't know as I don't shoot SASS. I'm not trying to pee on the parade here, it's just that I don't want to see an uninformed NCOWS member purchase these to only be told at a shoot that they are not legal.

I'm not gonna get into the NCOWS vs SASS debate.  I shoot SASS, and the Cowboy .45 Special is a legal SASS round, and a skelatonized carrier is SASS legal IF when at rest, action closed, the modification is not visible.  SOME BP shooters using straight walled cases would like it, some won't.

We'll likely offer the Cowboy .45 special carrier either way.

As to the Cowboy .45 Special not being representative of an authentic period round, THAT has not been brought to NCOWS yet, to my knowledge.  Since I am not an NCOWS member, I have not done so.

There IS a historical precedent, chambered in British "Webley Green" guns and used in .45 Colt SAA guns also bought by the British for their Foriegn Services (India etc) in the .45 Webley (not .455).  The  .45 Webley was a .452 diameter, 225 grain, 20 grains of BP, made by WRA Co among others from 1876 to the selling of WRA Co in 1931.  It is a cartridge which is exactly like the .45 Colt in every respect but length.  The .45 WEBLEY is approximately .060 SHORTER than my Cowboy .45 Special.

Here's a pic with some historical .45s.  The .45 Webley is underscored with red ***

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
BTT- gotta get this info out there  8)
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well, the carrier for the short rounds is on step closer to the market.  It has been sucessfully prototyped, and is awaiting a little more "production development" and scheduling, then it will be made available.  On the issue of .44 Russians, a slightly different version will be needed, but if the marketplace calls, we will listen.
Here's a peek at the prototype.

here it is installed in a  short stroked '73, with a minimum length round on the carrier.

When they are ready for the street, it will be marketed  through the Cowboy .45 Special web site.  This will be a drop in carrier for Cowboy .45 special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com