Author Topic: Fill In The Blanks  (Read 45711 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Fill In The Blanks
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2004, 02:39:58 PM »
Didn't old Jim Miller eventually become a "dangling" participle?
::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2004, 04:49:04 PM »

…Before long he came in contact with Chuck Colbert, a widely-known desperado with seven notches on his pistol.  The nature of their disagreement is unknown.  It is enough that both men enjoyed their reputations.  Like little boys playing King-of-the Hill, they decided that only one would stand on top.

Colbert wanted ___?___ to be notch number eight.  Maybe ___?___ wanted Colbert to be notch number one.

The two spent the day racing horses, and that evening went to a hotel for dinner before settling down to the more serious business.  As they ate, Colbert became over-anxious and slowly eased his revolver out of his holster, nonchalantly raised it from under the wooden planks and with a big smile of victory, pulled the trigger.  But he did not lift the gun up far enough.  The bullet struck the table edge and ricocheted across the room instead of going straight.

___?___ being a little more calm and deliberate, shot Colbert squarely between the eyes.  When asked why he didn’t kill the man earlier, ___?___ replied that he did not wish to send Colbert to hell on an empty stomach.   

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2004, 10:41:45 PM »
Clay Allison  said ta be crazy from the kick of a horse or mule when he was a kid.  Died of a broke neck from a runaway team.

The fatal last meal for Colbert had a main dish of fried oysters, the rest of the meal has not been recorded to my knowledge.  But didn't you expect me ta know what was on the menu? ::) ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:49:17 PM »

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2004, 07:12:40 AM »
You think you're so smart, then tell me if they were oysters from the gulf, or Rocky Mountain oysters. ;D  You are right 'bout it bein' Clay Allison.

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2004, 08:32:56 AM »

___?___, a former Confederate soldier, deputy sheriff, and Ranger, was six feet two inches tall.  He had hazel eyes and auburn hair, a broad, pale face, and a granite jaw.  He was said to be utterly fearless and capable of killing without compunction.  The townspeople felt that at last they had a strong man in charge.  Disdaining holsters, ___?___ stuffed his two short-barreled, silver-plated, pearl-handled .45 Colts into leather-lined hip pockets.  Even when he was wearing a frock coat, he seemed to have no difficulty getting the revolvers into action.

(From Joseph G. Rosa’s The Gunfighter Man or Myth)

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2004, 12:32:11 PM »
Might it have been
Sheriff George Washington (Cap) Arrington,
real name  John Cromwell Orrick Jr.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2004, 08:35:22 PM »
Might it have been
Sheriff George Washington (Cap) Arrington,
real name  John Cromwell Orrick Jr.

'Fraid not, Qball.  Need to be thinkin' El Paso.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2004, 09:59:20 PM »
The oysters were canned  from what I've heard and not from the Gulf of Mexico. No canneries there then, remember the South lacked industry before the war, no carpet baggers would have helped build a plant and comete with Northen Idustry.  My guess they came out of Long Island Soud and were canned on Manhattan Island.  Can't prove it, but it would be most likely. 

Now if they were fresh oysters, I'd say yes to the Gulf.   As to the other kind that ain't really oysters, most referance ta them in old accounts call them Prairie Oysters or even clippings.  Have ya ever et Oyster plant or prairie shrimp?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2004, 08:46:51 AM »
Probly not, seein' as how I've led a pretty sheltered life (til I got involved with this bunch).

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2004, 08:49:33 AM »
Still no correct responses to this one.

___?___, a former Confederate soldier, deputy sheriff, and Ranger, was six feet two inches tall.  He had hazel eyes and auburn hair, a broad, pale face, and a granite jaw.  He was said to be utterly fearless and capable of killing without compunction.  The townspeople felt that at last they had a strong man in charge.  Disdaining holsters, ___?___ stuffed his two short-barreled, silver-plated, pearl-handled .45 Colts into leather-lined hip pockets.  Even when he was wearing a frock coat, he seemed to have no difficulty getting the revolvers into action.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2004, 09:02:53 AM »
Oyster Plant is also call Salsify, is similar to a parsnip.  Cooked and mashed it is breaded and fried and tastes somewhat like fried oysters, but lacks the texture. ::)

Prairie Shrimp is another name fer rattlesnake. :o

And I'm thunkin' on the other. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2004, 12:17:50 PM »
Still no correct responses to this one.

Hint:  Think of "Big D".

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2004, 10:10:22 PM »
Dallas Stoudenmire. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 06:36:55 AM »
Dallas Stoudenmire. 

Gee whillikers, Thought I was gonna have to post a photo of the guy.  Once again Del DELivers. ::)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2004, 09:49:08 AM »
Had it in my head all day yesterday, but could not find the last name in any book on the shelf at work, had ta find it when I got home. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2004, 04:13:51 PM »
*applause*applause*applause* ;D
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 04:49:56 PM »

“When Wood Hite first came in he spoke to me, and I told him I did not want him to speak to me, as he had accused me of stealing $100 at the divide in the Blue Cut robbery.  I told him he lied; he said he could prove it (his accusation) by Mrs. Bolton, and I wanted him to prove it.  He then denied ever saying anything of the kind.  I told him he did say it, and we both commenced drawing our pistols.

“We fired about the same time.  He shot me through the right leg between the knee and the hip, and I shot him through the right arm.  He fired four times at me and I five times at him, and then I snapped another barrel at him.  I drew my other pistol when he commenced falling.

“Bob Ford fired one shot at him.  I did not know this until afterward, when he (Bob) exhibited the empty chamber.  The wound that killed Hite was through the head.  It struck him about two inches above the right eye and came out in front of and a little above the left ear.

“Bob claimed that his shot was the fatal one.  Hite lived 15 or 20 minutes, but did not speak.  We carried him upstairs, and that night of Dec 4, Cap and Bob dug a grave in the woods about half a mile from the house and buried him.  My leg was too sore to help.  We did not use a coffin.”

(from The Badman of the West, by George Hendricks)

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2004, 06:19:51 PM »
*applause*applause*applause* ;D

Don't be givin' Del the "clap" now,  he's gotta cook!!!  ::) ::) ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »

“When Wood Hite first came in he spoke to me, and I told him I did not want him to speak to me, as he had accused me of stealing $100 at the divide in the Blue Cut robbery.  I told him he lied; he said he could prove it (his accusation) by Mrs. Bolton, and I wanted him to prove it.  He then denied ever saying anything of the kind.  I told him he did say it, and we both commenced drawing our pistols.

“We fired about the same time.  He shot me through the right leg between the knee and the hip, and I shot him through the right arm.  He fired four times at me and I five times at him, and then I snapped another barrel at him.  I drew my other pistol when he commenced falling.

“Bob Ford fired one shot at him.  I did not know this until afterward, when he (Bob) exhibited the empty chamber.  The wound that killed Hite was through the head.  It struck him about two inches above the right eye and came out in front of and a little above the left ear.

“Bob claimed that his shot was the fatal one.  Hite lived 15 or 20 minutes, but did not speak.  We carried him upstairs, and that night of Dec 4, Cap and Bob dug a grave in the woods about half a mile from the house and buried him.  My leg was too sore to help.  We did not use a coffin.”

(from The Badman of the West, by George Hendricks)

Dick Liddil? 
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »
Capt.  Are ya meanin' Dick Liddel.  Ain't this the same guy that used ta run a saloon in Las Vegas New Mexico with this same Bob Ford fellar? ;D

Durn Russ T. he done clicked faster.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com