Author Topic: What about pellets???  (Read 3219 times)

Offline broncwalker

• Dog Creek Gunfighter
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What about pellets???
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
Ive seen these pistol pellets here and there, and I waas wonderin if they were any account? What do yall think?
I never surrendered, but they took my horse an made him surrender.

Offline Cincinnati Slim

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What about pellets???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:13:49 PM »
Howdy,

They are really easy to load but are very sensitive to load compression.

Ya gotta crunch 'em down just right with the rammer to see consistent results.

Pyrodex clean-up is just as cruddy as regular black powder. Smell is much worse! :P

Really sets my alergies off a runnin' :o

I've had better results w/granulated triple-seven. Cleaner, better velocity and less stink.

Just my opinion...

Cincinnati Slim

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:20:49 AM »
Sometimes hard to get burning, and any oil/water, no matter how little will kill them.  But if you can get past the expense they make loading much quicker.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:46:02 AM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
Use them in the cartridge conversions and the 1875's in .44 and .45.  Work great.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:34 AM »
Use them in the cartridge conversions and the 1875's in .44 and .45.  Work great.

What type of bullets, primer and crimp do you use when loading with the pistol pellets?  I was trying to figure out how to go about using them with a regular lead ball and brass case, ever try that?
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »
What type of bullets, primer and crimp do you use when loading with the pistol pellets?  I was trying to figure out how to go about using them with a regular lead ball and brass case, ever try that?

Using The pellets, I use a 200 grain .44 bullet lubed with a home made BP Lube in the .44-40 with a standard roll crimp and a magnum primer.  Works well in my 1866 Carbine.

In the .45 Colt cartridge I use an RCBS 250 grain RN 2 groove bullet with same lube and primer as above and a taper crimp.

I have used a brass case with the pellet and a round ball.  The round ball was coated in Liquid Alox and seated deep enough to crimp over the curve of the ball with a CCI Large Pistol Magnum primer to touch it off.

In all cases it worked great.  I did use the 30 grain Pyrodex pellet in a .44 Colt case.  I compressed the pellet enough to seat that same 200 grain bullet and crimpped it in place.  When I touched it off in my 5.5 inch barreled 1875 Remington, I thought I had lit off a .44 Magnum.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com