Author Topic: John David Dillon ...was He or Not a Montana Vigilante in the 3-7-77 Bunch?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just finished reading a book written by a fella in MD, Hard Trails and Tale Trails which is stated to be fictional but was told by the author... it was about his grandfather, one JD Dillon.  Did some extensive Internet searching including Montana Vigilantes ... NADA

Names and places in the Virginia City area all are in the book which is centered around the Dillion Family-JD, sister Martha and brother Morgan.

Anyone heard the name John David Dillon, aka JD Dillion associated with the 3-7-77 Vigilante Bunch around 1864-1865?
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
John boy, just finished readin' "The Bloody Bozeman" by Dorothy M. Johnson to review for a future "The Shootist".  She has quite a bit on the Vigilante's of the era in Montana.  The Only Dillion she mentions is a William Dillon (with out the i) killed by Cheyennes on July 24 1866 near Fort Phi Kearny.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline ladylaw45

• Active citizen
  • I LOVE my shot gun
  • Liked:
John Boy
I shoot with the authur of the book and I just got a copy from him yesterday at the MD North East Regional.  JD is quite the character and his Grand daddy was too.  This book is loosely based on his exploits because if he based the book on the actual factual history, the still living relatives would have a field day with lawsuits.  JD is working on a 2nd book-and I can't wait for it.
The JD in the book was deputized at one point so maybe that can help you in your search.  If you like I can try to get his e-mail at the next shoot I see him at if you want to talk with him-nice guy.

Ladylaw
SASS# 32395  BOLD#553  NRA Instructor ROII

Advertising

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Ladylaw:  I met and talked extensively with the author, JD Dillon at Purgatory in the Pines.  He showed me his grandfathers M1873 (in great shape because he was a fanatic about keeping his firearms clean) and his spurs (NCO calvary that are silver plated iron with original straps).  JD also informed me that his grandfather kept a daily diary and this was the basis for the book.  This is what I would like to read!

re: The Book ... a great read
re: Why no references to him as being part of the 3-7-77 Bunch (mostly comprised of Masons), I don't have the foggiest.  Thought that there would be at least a mention of his name in history.
re: The book 2 ...Some Folks Just Need Killin ... won't miss reading it.

Thanks for the reply and the next time you see JD, give him my regards and thanks for a neat book

Delmonico:  Thanks pardner.  This one JD Dillon died a ripe old age in the 1920's per his grandson, the author.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com