Author Topic: 1858 Remingtons  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Texas Ten-X

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 Remingtons
« on: July 20, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
I want to pick up a couple remingtons C&B but I would also like to get some cartridge cylinders as well.  I have a Cabellas close but some say their quality as not as good as others.  Another note is I DO NOT work on my guns other than cleaning so I will be sending them off if anything needs to be done.

SO what say you?  What brand should I get and why?

Thanks

Texas Ten-X
Keller, TX

Offline Joe4d

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1858 Remingtons
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:54:10 PM »
Uberti's seem to have the best reputation as well as an available Drop in cartridge cylinder that works perfectly in 95% of guns but that 5% will get you, there are also loading gate conversions out there but will require work on the weapon, I would contact Taylors, his prices on Uberti's are pretty close to everyone elses plus If you mention it he'll probably insure the drop in cylinder works correctly before shipping. I think he is also selling a conversion Remington with an ejector rod and loading gate cylinder that can also swap back to cap and ball.

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:17:22 AM »
The quality of Pietta (Cabela's) pistols have come a LONG way in the last few years. As good, if not better, than any Uberti.   

I would not hesitate a single second about buying a Pietta from Cabela's;  If you were so unlucky as to get a dud, Cabela's customer service will take care of it.

I have a 5 1/2" Remington 1858 from Cabela's that is an absolute honey of a pistol!  Especially with the R&D conversion cylinder that I bought for it.

JMO- Your mileage may vary,
John

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:06:28 AM »

Offline Texas Ten-X

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:35 AM »
If I wanted to send them off for clean up and tuning who should I send them to?

Texas

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:22:29 AM »
Steve Young (Nate Kiowa Jones) at Steve's guns should be able to make them what you want. He's done a few guns for me. Great work and reasonable prices.

Work:   409-984-5473
E-Mail:   gunz@mail.org

Address:   4525 Alamosa St.
   Pt. Arthur, TX  77642

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »
I just bought a pair of the Cabela's guns and am pleased to this point.

Offline Cincinnati Slim

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:51:33 PM »
Howdy,

I'll second that motion! Got a 5 1/2 inch barrel blue 1858 from Cabella's.
Nice finish, pretty wood on the grips, locks-up tight and shoots great. :D
I dropped a gated Kirst Kartridge Konverter in and it fit perfectly. Hardest part was cutting the groove in the recoil shield for the loading gate. Went throught TWELVE 5/8 inch Dremel sanding drums and it took about three hours of work ! Turned out great however. ;D

Customer service is very good with Cabela's. If it ain't right they'll send ya another one !

Cheers

Cincinnati Slim

Offline J.J. Ferrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:32:31 AM »
+1 for Cabelas and Pietta.
I so far have ordered and recieved 3 C&B revolvers from Cabelas. The first one (a Pietta 1860) had to go back as the cylinder chambers didnt line up correctly with the bore. They had another one, hand checked, on my doorstep within a week. Excellent service.
The other two are both 1858's by Pietta. I have absolutely no problem with these; fine guns, fit and finish excellent!. I just also got a pair of Kirst Konverters for them (so that I can pretend to be a 'Pale Rider'... grin...) These just dropped in fine and shoot great.
"There are two types of people in this world:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
Greetings!
Would recommend looking at the Uberti made ones with the forged steel frame from Taylors!  (You can also get R&D conversion cylinders from them as well). 

Offline waffenmacht

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:19:07 AM »
I just bought my first black powder weapon from Cabela's, just north of Ft Worth.  I bought an 1858 Remington, pietta, steel frame, and it is a great piece.  I've fired about 100 rds from it so far with no problems.  Fit and finish is very good, and its as accurate as any of my modern semi-autos.  Cabela's is a "one stop shop" for these weapons, as they have holsters, powder, primers, ball, flasks, and pretty much anything else you want.  I was impressed with the customer service I got at the gun counter, everyone was very friendly and patient with my questions.  Good luck beating thier prices.
-Bruce

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
Texas Ten-X,

I llike the Uberti's a little better than the Piettas.  That being said Cabellas has excellent customer service, so if there is a problem you can get it exchanged.  R&D has conversion cylinders for both the Pietta and the Uberti.  And they are basically drop in cylinders.  I had to do just a little bit of filing on both rebvolvers.  It was literally five minutes of work on each revolver.  And then you to can play "Pale Rider".  At today's match there was a reload for a revolver on one of the stages.  It actually went very smoothly for me with my conversion cylinders.  By the way I have two Uberti made '58 Remingtons with the R&D conversion cylinders.  They are my regular main match pistols.  I love them.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline R.U. Snickering

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 01:03:08 PM »
Howdy,
 Just wanted to give you my 2 cents... I have owned a brace of Pietta's NMAs and have nothing but good luck with them. They shoot straight and go off without so much as a kiccup. You can't go wrong with these pistols. I only shoot Cap and Ball, so I can not comment on how well the adjust to the conversion cylinders.
Good shooting..
R.U. Snickering
Yankee by birth, Texan by choice....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com