Author Topic: Pietta 1858 Remington Navy  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta 1858 Remington Navy
« on: July 07, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
Well, after my very bad Uberti experience, I'm going to try Pietta. I held a used 1858 Pietta Army at a local shop and was impressed with its fit and finish. I'm interested iin the Navy (.36) model, 'cause I want to install an R&D .38 Special cylinder.

Anybody own this gun? If so, how does it shoot? Does it have a 6.5" barrel?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pietta 1858 Remington Navy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »
Refresh my memory. What was the problem with the uberti Remington?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
The gun was covered with unsightly scratches and the frame was cut crooked behind the triggerguard. Also, the cylinder gap was nonexistent; I could barely get the cylinder back in the gun. It came straight from Taylor's to my dealer, then to me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:25 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:16:12 PM »
That's pretty sad. Ida thunk that Taylors would have had more quality control than that. I sure hope they took the gun back. I'm a bit surprised. I could see getting one like that from Midway or somebody not touting such a high reputatuion.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »
Well, I'm ordering the Pietta Navy today. I'll report back when it arrives.

Everybody tells me that Uberti is better, so maybe I got a lemon.

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 08:15:34 AM »
Sorry ta' hear about the Uberti experience, Pard.  but, I ain't got much ta' say about them either way cause all I shoot are Pietta's.  Both Remington and Navy.  Started with Pietta and have had no reason to do otherwise.

I got a coupla sets of Navy's.  One set in 5.5 brl and another set in 7.5 brl.  Both are .44 cal.

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 09:01:37 AM »
Shot mine, Pietta .36, last Saturday.  The thing came from Cabellas.  At $172.00 it would be difficult to ask for more than it is.  I don't think the fit and finish is half bad.  'Sides, it's a toy and not a collector's piece.  It's gonna get beat up if I play cowboy with it.

It's not rough but the action is heavy.  Gonna put more thru it before I open it up and make it easier to live with.  Damn near takes both thumbs to cock it.  Then again, my cartridge revolvers are kindah light 'n judgin' it against those ain't really fair.

Ain't shot it much, did go three stages with it last Saturday.  Went BOOM every time 'n didn't miss a target.  Round balls and somewhere around twenty grains of Goex.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »
Arcey,
When you eventually disembowel yer new Remmie with the hard hammer pull, take a good look at the mainspring and watch the tip as you cock it and note whether the tip of the spring is rubbing on the underside of the hammer. I've had a couple that did that and were hard to cock. After BARELY shortening (if you take off too much the spring will snap out from under the roller and screw things up) it the hammer pull was much smoother. Just take enough off to eliminate the rubbing. Also see if backing out the tension screw on the front of the grip frame lightens anything up.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
Appreciate it, Hellgate.  I'll take care to look for that when I get into the thing.  I wouldn't have looked for that if you hadn't mentioned it.

It still needs more thru it so I can see where the wear patterns are gonna develope.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com