Author Topic: Howdy to the camp! I'm not dead!  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Howdy to the camp! I'm not dead!
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »
Howdy pards,

No, I am not dead, not sulking, not mad, JUST TOO DAMN BUSY!!!!!

Since 6-1 I have been going nuts.  Last two weeks of school (TEACHING), about two weeks camped out at my Madera house finish the the rehab of the disaster from the last renter, and getting it ready to sell, and ten days back in Ill and Mo. on family business.  Since 6-9, I have only been home about 5 days.  I'm getting ready to leave again for 11 more days to Madera, a confrence in San Diego, and 5 days at my son's in Temecula.  Shortly after I am leaving for another week in Mo and Ill.

I will have some time on my hands sunday thru monday to catch up and post updates.

Hint, I am probably re;loacting to southern Illinois in the next year or two.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Howdy to the camp! I'm not dead!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »

Welcome Back Tuolumne!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Lowdown Highwall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:59:22 AM »
Tuolumne, What part of southern Illinois are you planning on landing. I live in southern Illinois, and there are several places to shoot cowboy and longrange. Keep in touch, Lowdown Highwall from the flatlands of Illinois
Keep yer eye on the target son.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:19:55 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »
Howdy Pard,

Jerseyville, Jersey County, 20 minutes north of Alton on the Mississippi. (Actually looking at a house on 16 acres outside Fieldon, west of Jerseyville by 10 miles, and north of Otterville.  I have a mess of family in Jereseyville, Godfrey, Edwardsville, St Louis, etc.  Property is 20% to 30 % of Sacramento area, but wages are within $1 an hour for trades like electricians, Bricklayers, and teachers.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Lowdown Highwall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »
Tuolumne, I live a little south of Mount Vernon ,which is about 75 miles  southeast of your tentative location. I work for a electric utility, and I can say the wages are a little less than the west coast....but the cost of living is QUITE a bit less. Lowdown Highwall
Keep yer eye on the target son.....

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:05:25 PM »
T.L.,

How will your move east affect your connection with the California-MA Civil War group you just joined?

Just curious!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:17:09 AM »
Howdy,

I will probably have to muster out of the 2nd Mass and re-enlist in the 7th Illinois Cavalry.  The good news is that they allow not just Sharps, but Spencer's and Henry rifles too. (Their men carried all three, apparently.  I think I would just have to get anothe Spencer once this dang rental sells and I am not so broke I can't pay attention!  Two mortgages and the $25,000 we had to put into it to sell it broke the piggy bank.

I'll have to read Bilby's book again, as I think the 7th IL had Spencer rifles in 1863.  Joe, what about it?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:36:40 AM »
Well now, 7th. Ill. Cavalry you say ?  would that be B co. ?

I was a member of the Mounted unit (C co. ) under Maj. Karl Luthin. I commanded E co. (Florida troopers) aka 2nd Florida Cavalry Inc.
We've done many an event and films together in 30 years.
We still partner up on Movies projects ( he... with his vast amount of props & set dressing , and I as a Production Designer )

The Seventh Ill. Cavalry were issued Sharps & and later Spencers, ( the Cavalry was never issued Henry's ) but troopers might have purchased some.

The 7th. Ill. Infannrty did purchased the Henry.

(The men of this Regiment served from Elgin and vicinity (Company A, Kane County), Mattoon and vicinity (Company B, Coles County), Aurora and vicinity (Company C, DuPage and Kendall Counties), Litchfield[1], Lincoln and Atlanta and vicinity (Companies D, E and H, Alexander, Logan and Montgomery Counties), Springfield and vicinity (Companies G and I, Sangamon and Fayette Counties) and Carlinville and vicinity (Companies F and K, Macoupin County).  The Seventh was the only regiment in the Union Army that purchased its own guns and armed itself with the Henry rifle.)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 09:39:52 AM »
Howdy,

Actually it is C Troop!  The website doesn't identify the officers, etc.  I sent them a "telegram" <G> about the possibility of enlisting.

Do you stay in touch with Maj. Luthin?   Can you email him and see if this is his unit.  Their calander shows them doing things all over central and southern Ill, INCLUDING Jerseyville<g>.  It doesn't get any better than thaqt.

As much as I love the Henry, I think the Spencer is still better for a Cav impression, even if some had purchased Henry rifles privately.

Dang, I wish I had "A Revolution in Arms" with me while I am at this confrence!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
Howdy,

Actually it is C Troop!  The website doesn't identify the officers, etc.  I sent them a "telegram" <G> about the possibility of enlisting.

Do you stay in touch with Maj. Luthin?   Can you email him and see if this is his unit.  Their calander shows them doing things all over central and southern Ill, INCLUDING Jerseyville<g>.  It doesn't get any better than thaqt.

As much as I love the Henry, I think the Spencer is still better for a Cav impression, even if some had purchased Henry rifles privately.

Dang, I wish I had "A Revolution in Arms" with me while I am at this confrence!

Karl (Luthin) and I are close friends, and partners in film work
He no longer commands the unit...stepped down several years ago. (Although he does WW2 German Mounted)

I know many of the fellows in the Mounted unit, from the old days... we did event all over the US.
Since we stepped out they (the 7th.) stay closer to home these days... I don't blame them < some great events , with 300 miles of Ill.

Their officers may adj. on a by event, cycle these days.   ( like the Second Florida Cavalry they are Incorporated, I know because I set it up for them)
So field rank is seperate for Corp. Officers .

I'll make some calls and get you some information.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
Later this evening I'll get you hooked up with Jim Phillips in Jerseyville ... He is a old pard from the Old 7th Ill. days and leads a good Mounted unit.

I did actually find out who runs the current unit crop of about 6 or 7 men  , he is a YAHOO !
I don't recommend him or that group ...

At one time, the 7th Ill. was a unit with nearly 100 members , with maybe 40 active and at any given event put 20-25 or more mounted on the field.
Watch "Gettysburg or Glory" , The blue & the Grey and North & South, the mounted troopers are 7 Th. Ill. & Second Florida Cavalry members.
Now, most have retired from the hobby , or are (like Jim leading other units )

Terry Crowder is the Fed. Cavalry overrall commander & Scott Hughes  (5th. Mo.) has the Confederates , both old friends.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 06:58:33 PM »
Phone links sent  :) via Email

Offline Beauregard Hooligan

• CAS-L Moderator
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Cas City Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 09:03:21 PM »
Hey TL,

I'm sorry for putting this post off topic, but I really need some advice from you concerning a legal problem. Also, the cell phone number I have no longer works,.I really need HELP!!! I promise that it won't be going down to get Angel. <GG>

Deputy Beauregard Hooligan
                               SASS life, NRA life, NMLRA
                               Bent, but not broken....
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/beauhooligan/
SASS Life * NMLRA * NRA Life * Deputy of CAS-L * River City Regulators * Mother Lode Shootist Society * Murietta Posse, WASA #56.
Stockton, Ca.

Offline Steel-eye Steve

• Very Active Citizen
    • 1st Wisconsin Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »
Howdy,

I will probably have to muster out of the 2nd Mass and re-enlist in the 7th Illinois Cavalry.  The good news is that they allow not just Sharps, but Spencer's and Henry rifles too. (Their men carried all three, apparently.  I think I would just have to get anothe Spencer once this dang rental sells and I am not so broke I can't pay attention!  Two mortgages and the $25,000 we had to put into it to sell it broke the piggy bank.

Well, if that's the case we might be fighting together at Princeton sometime.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com