Author Topic: Newbie-help!  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie-help!
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:36:50 PM »
Got a pair of 1858s on the way.
What's the best capper?
Where are plans for a revolver loading stand and or a cylinder loading stand?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie-help!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:03:09 PM »
Here's a repeat of one of my prior messages on the subject of cappers:

I've got 5 cappers of various makes & designs and even the Ted Cash capper wasn't that great til I modified it. Now 4 of 5 will fit the Remingtons. Here's what I did:
On the cheapo cappers from McGees that go for about $4 (single spring) I ground off the lip of the spring to where it just held the cap flush with the spring and no overhang beyond the cap. I also ground back the corner of thebrass housing on the opposite side to shorten it and put a taper in it so that the brass only just supported the cap but didn't stick out beyond it. For the Ted Cash capper, I just ground off the lips of the springs as before so the capper could be inserted deeper and it works fine. The TC capper is a weaker design and the brass backer bends easily so I actually prefer the generic cappers that have a 90 degree brass support of the cap and will not bend during a fit of anxiety while capping on the clock. The cheap cappers hold the cap like on a piece of angle iron where the TC is like on flat band iron. I've even considered epoxing a small nail or something to strengthen the TC's tip but figured I'll just take it easy with it. You need a grinder or a stone and some extra time to fix the cappers for Remingtons.
For the Colts just about any in-line capper will do. But the "Remington modification" makes them faster.
As for the teardrop cappers, I keep dropping caps out of them and losing caps in the gravel at the range. When they work, they work well for Colts only.
I keep an in-line capper and a nipple pick on a cord through my vest button hole for on the clock "reloads".
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:07:08 AM »
Hiya, Nozzlerag!

Same as Hellgate fer use of the "Straight-line" and "Tear-Drop" or AKA "Snail Capper" fitting and adjustments.  Bit of advice - if'n you're new to capping on the clock - don't wait to get to the range for first time capping.  It takes a little bit of practice to get use to it.  Also, keep handy a "Push Stick" to firmly seat the caps on the nipples...don't use the hammer of the pistol or your thumbnails to do this...might great a rude surprise!  Do some practicing at home with empty unloaded chambers capping, firing caps only, and de-capping/clearing your pistols and get the feel for it.

Link for Wood Loading Stand @ Fallcreek Sutlery:  http://fcsutler.com/fccwrevolvers.asp 

Link for a Cylinder Loader Stand @ Thunder Ridge Muzzleloadinf:  http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/revolvers.htm#stand  and a link for some Treso nipples fer your Remingtons at the same site:  http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/parts_nipples.htm#t-nip

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:20:06 PM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:14:23 AM »
Ordered an inline capper from Midway and it seem to work quite well. Seems to like the #10s better than the #11s.
My order from Thunder Ridge (nipples and cylinder loader) has not arrived yet.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »
Bought the cylinder loader from Thunder Ridge. Seems to work just fine.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
Bought an in-line Knight capper.  It was the only thing hangin' on the pegboard in the shop that looked like it would work.  It was designed for #11s but it does fine with #10s.

Been putting pressure on it ta seat the caps 'n the l'il lip at the point of the thing is startin' ta bend.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com