Author Topic: CALIBER OF SAA WEAPONS  (Read 10105 times)

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • I'm a 5th generation rancher by birth.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CALIBER OF SAA WEAPONS
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »
I'm new at this sport, but I though the .357 was a 20th century round am I wrong? I thought the reason for sa shooting was to revitilize the old west and to my knowledge there were no stainless steel weapons, .357 cal weapons. sure .40, 44s&w 44-40 45c 38-20 32-40 etc am I missing something here? I don't mean to stir anything up but I'm very courious why is stainless steel allowed and why is .357 allowed if being true to the time frame is so important. meaning anything prior to 1890's?

Thanks,
Mustanger
I'm a 53 year old male (married for 32 yeqrs, wife will kill me if I dont' mention her) who has live the cowboy style since birth. I work for the State of Arizona as a veterans Rep. I raise horses, fish and hunt on horse back life time member of the NRA prior to my current employment I was in law enforcement. I served with the Marines and am a Viet Nam veteran. My family has a farm/ranch in south west corner of missouri that my great grand father homesteaded my grand father and father were born on the farm upstairs in the same bed room which still has the same bluebird wall paper on the walls thank god for the depression or I might have been born there too. lol I love shooting a love i aquired from my father who was californias #2 rated silhouette competitive shooter with many adwards.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: CALIBER OF SAA WEAPONS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
If you want to shoot the old, original calibers - in the guns meant for them - you need to look at the NCOWS Forum here on this website.

Of all organizations in C&WAS - the National Congress of Old West Shootists is far more authenticity-driven, both in weaponry and in pre-1900 dress.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
"different stokes for different folks..."

SASS offers the broad spectrum to so many avid Cowboy shooters from Old west to Matinee oat-er and just about everything in between.
That's why it is the biggest organization.

They allow 357 as many like the lighter tap of a 38 (or even 32 Mag.)
Stainless is allowed because many like the easy care & cleaning , while it minics Nickle.

There are many enigma's one can find lacking in the "true to the old west " within the hobby.
Some SASS "legal" firearms were never part of the era.

As stated, NCOWS does offer a more guided road to follow authenticity wise , but sadly it's not everywhere , and not for everybody.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:34:06 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »
What caliber is this?

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »
I hope I didn't offend anyone that was not my point. I truly was trying to understand the different variations of the pistols and calibers that are allowed. Personally this gives me an excuse to by more guns ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Thank you for the information.
I'm a 53 year old male (married for 32 yeqrs, wife will kill me if I dont' mention her) who has live the cowboy style since birth. I work for the State of Arizona as a veterans Rep. I raise horses, fish and hunt on horse back life time member of the NRA prior to my current employment I was in law enforcement. I served with the Marines and am a Viet Nam veteran. My family has a farm/ranch in south west corner of missouri that my great grand father homesteaded my grand father and father were born on the farm upstairs in the same bed room which still has the same bluebird wall paper on the walls thank god for the depression or I might have been born there too. lol I love shooting a love i aquired from my father who was californias #2 rated silhouette competitive shooter with many adwards.

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:00:06 AM »
ARCEY, I'm not sure with all the smoke blocking my view................. but a guess would be cap and ball .36 navy or .44 smith and wesson? hand gun looks like a ruger stainless steel?? ???

mustanger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
No offence taken at all  ;D

We can thank SASS and it's some 60,000 members, for the variety of calibers legal to CAS.
Some old calibers brought back for obsolescence or obscurity.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 01:00:56 PM »
Naw, naw, naw…..  No offense taken a’tall.

It’s a blue Uberti Cattleman in 357 Magnum.

E’erybody has a slightly different perspective on the game.  The way I look at it is does it look like an old gun when it’s bein’ used?  Hell, if folks don’t know what it is by seein’ what I’m puttin’ in it at the table – they sure as hell don’t know when I’m shootin’ it.  It looks right then and in the holster.  From that image ya can’t tell if it’s a 44-40, 45 or 38.

Heh, heh…  Had a persnickety ole fella tell me it weren’t period correct once.  Asked him whut kindah powder ‘e was usin’ in his 45 Colts.  “Red Dot”.  ‘N I ain’t period correct?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »
Basicly, CAS is as period correct as you want it to be.  Me, I shoot period Military weapons, in period military calibers, Black powder loaded, wearing period military clothes.  'Cause I like it that way.  Next feller in line might be in Jeans, chambray shirt, straw hat, with Stainless steel rugers in .357, smokeless.  I pick up his brass, he picks up mine, we slap each other on the back, laugh at our mistakes.  We're both having fun.  The basics are the same, we're both using single action revolvers, lever action pistol caliber rifles, and the proper shotguns.  Everything else is simply details

The details are up to you.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 07:24:42 AM »
Yeah.........

'n in my case, the Black Powder stuff................

IS ALL YER FAULT, DRYDOCK!!!!!

Heheheheheheheheeeeeee...........

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »
See, now there's a man won't take no responsibility fer his own actions . . . ::)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »
See, now there's a man won't take no responsibility fer his own actions . . .

Why would I wanna take responsibility when I can blame it on you?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
Sorta makes sense . . . scary, ain't it . . .   ::)

Offline Joe4d

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 09:48:33 AM »
Well it's not excactly perfect reenacting,  imagine somewhere long ago some guys thought this sport up and decided they needed a rule book, well they want the sport to grow and get alot of people involved if your rules are too restrictive no one will show up, I would venture to guess that the .357 is the most common revolver out there probably the most Single actions as well specially if you lump .38 special in there as well, Out lawing .357's  and your sport would be dead in the water before it even launched, as the sport grew interest in older calibers grew and manufacturers responded and now many calibers are available, And from a gaming perscpective I dont see how a .357 can offer a competitve advantage over a 38 long colt or 32 S&W, so dont guess it really matters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com