Author Topic: Wood For Dutch Ovens  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Wood For Dutch Ovens
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
Ok, we got off on wood in another thread, lets do a thread on wood that you find best for cooking. 

There are many kinds I have never used because they don't grow around here.  My favorite is Osage Orage, but it takes some other wood to help keep it burning it is so hard.  This is where Red Cedar can be usefull.  I have used Red Cedar for dutch oven cooking, but although the best of the local conifers, it takes a lot and makes it hard on the cook.

I've used a little Sugar Maple, but although it is good, I see little of it.  Green Ash is a common tree around here and is fine wood, as well as Red Oak and Burr Oak.  I see a little black Locust sometimes, although good, I haven't used enough to really say much about it.

The tree kinds of elm are very nice, American, Siberian (Chinese) and some Red Elm.  It breaks up into nice coals.  Mulberry is a good local one as well as Hackberry.  The one that surprised me is Black Walnut, although it burns hot and slow, when it burns it does not form much coals but rather burns into mostly a fine ash.

As you can tell out here I'm limited by species, the well known Cottonwood is to soft and is not even as good as Red Cedar.  I'm sure the orchard type fruit woods are good, but I see very little of them.

So what works in your area?
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Wood For Dutch Ovens
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:44:50 PM »
I'll have ta 'sperment with black locust since we have a good supply 'round here. I have plenty of elm, also, since my elms are dying.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »
Del, what size wood do you use, just regular logs or do you prefer a shorter log or further split logs.  around here we have oaks, ash,  hickory, walnuts,  also persimmons,  wild cherry and  a lot of pine & cedar.

how long do you let your wood burn before starting to use the ash and chunks?
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:30 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »
I use wood that is about the same as what you would use in a cookstove by choice, I don't split much, what is larger gets burned when I don't need coals fast.  As soon as it's embers it's ready to use, those are nothing but homeade charcoal.

Often when I get somewhere I have to use what wood they have got me, I burn too much of it to haul it and I adapt to what is one hand.

I am planning toe spend most of the day Monday and Tuesday cooking for just me and taking pictures.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 09:48:06 AM »
I used elm yesterday to cook with since that is mostly what I have cut and dry. It worked very well. I was going to try black locust, but I couldn't find any that was dry when I looked for it.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com