Author Topic: Henry Rifle: How is was used in the Civil War  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Henry Rifle: How is was used in the Civil War
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
Here is an essay I have been working on for the past 3 years and will continue as more information comes forth.
http://44henryrifle.webs.com/civilwarusage.htm
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Henry Rifle: How is was used in the Civil War
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
Good work there ...I enjoyed the surf  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:15 AM »
Dang Nice read,... thanks for sharing it!!
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:01:45 PM »

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
Sean,

Excellent read about a very historic firearm! ;D Thank you for the link.

A few of my own observations. With regards to  "It is interesting to note that some of the early advertisements claimed that fact, certain death at 1000 yards.  The fact is that a 216 grain bullet in front of 26-28 grains of black powder would doubtfully even travel close to that distance."  The fact is that it will for sure reach beyond 1,000 yards.  

1.) A 22LR will travel at least 1,700 yards and since the sectional density and velocity is very similar to the .44 Henry,  it will very likely travel the same distance.

2.) I have fired my 44-40 at "Homer" the 1,000 yard buffalo at the Ridgway Rifle Club in Ridgway, PA and the bullets impacted with enough force to see the displacement of earth and to hit the steel hard enough that it was audable at 1,000 yard distance.
Interestingly, the 44-40 at 1,300 f.p.s. only  has a 70 yard advantage over the .44 Henry at 1,125 f.p.s. That's about the distance that the bullet from the 44-40 has slowed to 1,125 f.p.s.  

3.) The Swiss Trials of 1866 with the 44 Henry cartridge in the 1866 Winchester Rifle were conducted as far out as 1,000 paces which would be a bit short of 1,000 yards and targets were printed.

In evidence of the above and A.A.Vanwormer's statement below, I would humbly suggest that consideration be given to remove the "The fact is that a 216 grain bullet in front of 26-28 grains of black powder would doubtfully even travel close to that distance." from the text.    

ACCURACY

"A.A. Vanwormer was impressed with the Henry that he purchased.  He writes this in a letter dated June 3, 1863.  “The New Haven Arms Company:  Gentlemen:  I bought the first one of the Henry Rifles sold here, of my old friends, Albright & Co.  I have fully tested it, having shot over 500 shots.  It is certain death at 800 yards, and probably at 1,000 yards."

"But then there is the Henry test conducted by Lieutenant, W. Mitchell U.S.N. that gives a different story. In a letter dated May 20, 1862 he states; “fifteen shots were fired for accuracy, at a target 18 inches square at 348 feet distance.  Fourteen hit direct.”
I could not on an average put three shots out of five into a circle of two feet in diameter, at 100 yards, and at 200 yards they varied four or five feet, wandering in every direction

"So was the Henry Repeating rifle an accurate, long range weapon?  The test show one thing but the written accounts by men in the field seem to suggest a different story.  Since ammunition has not been made since the 1920’s for the .44 rim fire Henry cartridge and an original Henry is very pricey, it is not likely to find out the answer as to the Henry’s accuracy."

As far as accuracy goes, each rifle is a law unto itself and no doubt, some lemons might have been produced. Also what was the individua'ls capapbility and how well was the rifle(s) maintained?

For documented evidence of the accuracy of the 44 Henry cartridge, witness the Swiss Trials of 1866 where targets were fired at 300, 600, 800, and 1,000 paces under controlled conditions for a historic record of the accuracy of what the .44 Henry cartridge was capable of.

At 300 paces 28 of the 30 shots fired landed in a 1 foot group. Certainly man sized accuracy at that distance. Even at 600 paces a high percentage of the shots would be on a man sized target. Of course getting the right elevation would be important.

Please see http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,36799.0.html

You have my permission to add the information to your excellent write up on the Henry in the Civil War.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
My statement should have read "The fact is that a 216 grain bullet in front of 26-28 grains of black powder would doubtfully even travel close to that distance with any accuracy".  The last 3 words were left off when I transferred the information to the web page.  I am sure that the 216 grain bullet would have traveled past 1000 yards but the chance on hitting a man size target at 1000 yards with a Henry rifle with any degree of regularity would have been non existance for most shooters. The Henry rifle and cartridge were good for less than 200 yards for most users, knowing hits past 200 yards were possible.   the 3 limiting factors for the Henry as a long range weapon would have been: 1.  the cartridge itself, 216 grain bullet and 28 grains of bp; 2. the sights were not long range target sights and  3.  The ability of the shooter in hitting long range targets.

Sean,

Excellent read about a very historic firearm! ;D Thank you for the link.

A few of my own observations. With regards to  "It is interesting to note that some of the early advertisements claimed that fact, certain death at 1000 yards.  The fact is that a 216 grain bullet in front of 26-28 grains of black powder would doubtfully even travel close to that distance."  The fact is that it will for sure reach beyond 1,000 yards.  

1.) A 22LR will travel at least 1,700 yards and since the sectional density and velocity is very similar to the .44 Henry,  it will very likely travel the same distance.

2.) I have fired my 44-40 at "Homer" the 1,000 yard buffalo at the Ridgway Rifle Club in Ridgway, PA and the bullets impacted with enough force to see the displacement of earth and to hit the steel hard enough that it was audable at 1,000 yard distance.
Interestingly, the 44-40 at 1,300 f.p.s. only  has a 70 yard advantage over the .44 Henry at 1,125 f.p.s. That's about the distance that the bullet from the 44-40 has slowed to 1,125 f.p.s.  

3.) The Swiss Trials of 1866 with the 44 Henry cartridge in the 1866 Winchester Rifle were conducted as far out as 1,000 paces which would be a bit short of 1,000 yards and targets were printed.

In evidence of the above and A.A.Vanwormer's statement below, I would humbly suggest that consideration be given to remove the "The fact is that a 216 grain bullet in front of 26-28 grains of black powder would doubtfully even travel close to that distance." from the text.    

ACCURACY

"A.A. Vanwormer was impressed with the Henry that he purchased.  He writes this in a letter dated June 3, 1863.  “The New Haven Arms Company:  Gentlemen:  I bought the first one of the Henry Rifles sold here, of my old friends, Albright & Co.  I have fully tested it, having shot over 500 shots.  It is certain death at 800 yards, and probably at 1,000 yards."

"But then there is the Henry test conducted by Lieutenant, W. Mitchell U.S.N. that gives a different story. In a letter dated May 20, 1862 he states; “fifteen shots were fired for accuracy, at a target 18 inches square at 348 feet distance.  Fourteen hit direct.”
I could not on an average put three shots out of five into a circle of two feet in diameter, at 100 yards, and at 200 yards they varied four or five feet, wandering in every direction

"So was the Henry Repeating rifle an accurate, long range weapon?  The test show one thing but the written accounts by men in the field seem to suggest a different story.  Since ammunition has not been made since the 1920’s for the .44 rim fire Henry cartridge and an original Henry is very pricey, it is not likely to find out the answer as to the Henry’s accuracy."

As far as accuracy goes, each rifle is a law unto itself and no doubt, some lemons might have been produced. Also what was the individua'ls capapbility and how well was the rifle(s) maintained?

For documented evidence of the accuracy of the 44 Henry cartridge, witness the Swiss Trials of 1866 where targets were fired at 300, 600, 800, and 1,000 paces under controlled conditions for a historic record of the accuracy of what the .44 Henry cartridge was capable of.

At 300 paces 28 of the 30 shots fired landed in a 1 foot group. Certainly man sized accuracy at that distance. Even at 600 paces a high percentage of the shots would be on a man sized target. Of course getting the right elevation would be important.

Please see http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,36799.0.html

You have my permission to add the information to your excellent write up on the Henry in the Civil War.

w44wcf

"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
Great read and didn't even know they actually was used in the Civil War. Thanks found it really educational.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
Sean,
Yes, I would agree that the best range for the Henry would be 200 yards and under.  Hits can certainly be made at longer distances with the best results obtained with good sights and a shooter that is capable of such feats.

I'm sure that near misses at extended distances can make a foe think twice about venturing closer.

As far as short range 44 Henry cartridge accuracy goes, here is a target fired at 75 yards during the 1866 Switzerland trials.

and a 300 pace  target  with the majority of the shots impacting within a one foot area.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Henry4440

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »
Fantastic work, Sean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »
excellent research, sean  as far as the accuracy issue is concerned I'm one of the way below average shooters. I'm still trying to get more then half of my shots in the center ring at 50yds. I have a feeling those shooters at the 1866 swiss trials weren't  your average out of the crowd type of shooters that could go out and knock down 800+ yd shots. I agree with your 200yd assesment as being pretty accurate. I think if you took 50 guys off the street and had them shoot ten shots each from a henry 200yds maybe half would half hit the target with more then half of their shots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com