Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 107864 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2006, 09:14:51 PM »
Scarlet didn’t share Fritz’s apparent excitement at the sight of the patrol. She had been tired and worn, but that vanished with the sound of the trumpet that seemed to send an electric charge through every nerve in her body.

She kept mentally telling herself these were Fritz’s friends but she’d seen how they’d treated him. Scarlet had the impression that Ella thought very low of any medical attention that might be had at the fort. The thought of riding into Colonel Troutman’s playing field in the middle of the night made her blood run cold. She trusted the man about as far as she could throw him.

Scarlet had stepped near Tensleep, rested the palm of her right hand on the butt of her cross draw while she crossed her left arm over the top. She currently had no intention of drawing on any of them but it was a defensive position.

Lucky raised his head and moved closer to her, his eyes wide watching the men and horses. Her uneasiness made him uneasy and she knew it.

She glanced down at Tensleep. There was nothing the army medical should do for him, course they might try to sew up the hole in his leg. She knew Becca would have fits if Scarlet let that heathen doctor look at him. Funny how she used some of the same phrases Troutman used when referring to the Indians.

If it wasn’t for Fritz there would be no question in Scarlet’s mind what she’d do. She figured the odds out here were better for Tensleep and her than they were inside the fort. She wished she’d know what Tensleep’s feelings on the subject might be. If he’d be okay with going to the fort she’d let them go. How many times had Fritz trusted her with things he didn’t know or was uneasy with? Watching the troupers work she felt defeat in a battle she was probably the only one aware was going on.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »
Fritz hadn't missed the movement.  Her hand resting on the butt of her Colt.  He doubted that the troopers had missed it either.  He moved between Scarlet and them.

"Corporal Willis, my intention is to see this gun safely back to the fort.  Once there, I'd like to borrow a buckboard to transport Marshal Ross back to the Southern Star."

Willis looked to Fritz, then to the fiery blonde behind him.  He nodded.

"I think we can make that happen, First Sergeant."

Fritz looked to Scarlet.

"Will that work for you?"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2006, 12:47:05 AM »
Scarlet glanced down, took a deep breath then looked into Fritz’s eyes.

She trusted everyone she chose to ride with, especially him. What made her good at her job was knowing when to ride side by side and knowing when to take the lead or fall in line.

She knew Fritz was aware of the tension between Colonel Troutman and her. The mutual feelings between Scarlet and Fields would have been noticed by a blind deaf man. He also knew the Colonel better than she did. How the Colonel would conduct himself in different situations. This is where he had the experience she did not. She’d ridden into worse camps and knew how to behave. It was time to step back and let Fritz take the lead.

Scarlet relaxed a bit, her palm slid forward so her forearm now rested on the butt of her pistol. 

Her voice was soft and sincere when she spoke. “I trust you to make the decision that is best for all of us. If you think spending the night at the fort is better than traveling through the darkness that will work for me too. You can trust I will mind my manners.”
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 07:50:34 AM »

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
They rode in column of twos towards the open gate.  The sentries stood to either side, allowing the patrol to pass.  It was late, but even so, Colonel Troutman stood at the rail gun carriage creaked to a stop.

"My God," Troutman said, "you did it."

Fritz dismounted, handing Scarlet his reins.  He and Corporal Willis mrached forward and saluted.  This time, the salute was returned.

"Sir," Fritz said, "we've got a wounded man.  Marshal Ross took one in the leg defending the howitzer."

Troutman looked grim.  "How bad is he?"

"Scarlet treated his wound.  He should be good enough to travel."  Fritz looked about.  "Have you got a buckboard to spare?"

"You should spend the night here," Troutman added, "and move out in the morning."

Fritz knew deep down he was right.  He looked to Scarlet, who shifted a bit in her saddle.

"Very well sir.  Could you point us in the direction of the barracks?"

Troutman laughed.  "I won't hear of it.  You and your fiance will have my quarters tonight."

"Sir I..."

"I insist."  Troutman shook his hand.  "Thank you Fritz."

Then he did something unusual.  He walked out to Scarlet, and took off his hat.  "Miss Longknife?"

"What is it, Colonel?" she replied.

"Thank you as well.  We'll see to the Marshal.  Please avail yourself of anything you need."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »
His amiable demeanor surprised Scarlet. She knew how to be polite and respectful, if there was a time and a place this would be it.

“Thank you Colonel Troutman.” She replied in a friendly tone he’d only ever heard from her once since meeting her.

Scarlet dismounted, she had been around the stable area enough over the years to know where everything was if they hadn’t changed it.

“If it is not a problem I would appreciate if the horses could go in the small corral at the end of the stable. It is out of the way and they will not be a bother to anybody there, unless it is in use.”

“The corral is empty; your animals will not be bothered.” He replied.

Scarlet slightly dipped her head in a gesture of gratitude.

“With the Colonel’s permission I would like to check on the Marshal after he is settled. I don’t believe he will require any attention from your doctor but I would be more than happy to answer any questions he might have.”

Colonel Troutman was taken back slightly. The woman who stood before him had proper manners fitting of a soldier’s wife, and knew how to use them. He had expected her to say something more to the effect of tell your doctor not to touch him.

Sam Troutman wondered what she would say if he denied permission, but this polite conversation was much more pleasant than they were both used to. Besides that he knew she would check on the Marshal, his permission or not.

“I will pass along your message to the doctor.”   

“Thank you, now if you would excuse me I would like to put the horses away.”

The Colonel stood to the side and gestured with his hand for her to pass. She smiled appreciatively and led the three horses towards the corral.

Colonel Troutman had been more accommodating than he needed to be. Scarlet hoped there were no ulterior motives as she lead the horses towards the corral.

The Colonel watched her for a moment, looking from her to the black horse that walked behind her. She was still well armed, no doubt the same brazened creature he’d collided with time and time again.

A few of his men spoke highly of her. He’d even heard them talk about how bewitching she was if you were lucky enough to catch one of her dance performances at the saloon; he had yet to make one of those parties. A few of his men didn’t speak so well of her, her father just in a prettier wrapper; that was the woman he knew. Then there were the things Captain Fields said.

Colonel Troutman stepped next to Fritz. “She is an interesting woman your fiancé.”

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
"She certainly is that," Fritz replied.  He watched her go.  She turned her head and smiled.  He knew she would.  "She's the only thing in my life that's more important than the Army."

Troutman was taken aback again.  "You don't say?"

It was late, dark, and familiar.  "Sam, I don't intend on being a soldier forever.  Soldiering's a game for the young, and there are days I don't feel that young anymore.  But she makes me feel young.  I'm more alive when I'm with her."

"I had no idea.  You're certainly a lucky man."

"When I was down Mexico way, I was dead inside.  They'd tortured me to the point where I didn't care anymore.  She got me out.  Scarlet saved me...kept me from retreating to that dark place we all harbor."

"There a bottle in my desk," Sam said.  "You help yourself to it."

Fritz saluted.  "Thank you sir.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to see to my lady.  And my horse."   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
After they saw to the horses Scarlet and Fritz made their way to the infirmary.

Walking towards where Tensleep was she saw a man bent over him looking at his wound a bit to close for her comfort. Scarlet paused and took a deep breath.

Fritz slipped his hand over hers and squeezed gently. “He’s only looking.”

Scarlet looked at him then smiled; Fritz seemed to have that effect on her. She composed herself and approached the doctor.

Hearing her footsteps the man looked up.

“Does it look okay? No infection startin’ in is there?” Scarlet asked.

“Doesn’t appear to be.” The man pushed his glasses back up with his index finger. “You the one who treated him?”

“Yes.”

“You the same one treated the others before they came back?”

“No, the posse is fortunate enough to have a very good healer.” Scarlet replied.

“He did an extraordinary job for field work.” The man said looking closer at Tensleep’s leg.

“I’ll be sure to tell Ella you admired HER work. His wound it’s not bleeding is it?” Scarlet leaned over and looked closer.

“No.” The doctor replied then looked at her again. “It’s true then. What they say about you?”

Scarlet half smiled. “Depends on who you’re listening to and what they are saying.”

“I’ve only ever seen wounds treated like this on Indians. They say you….” He was trying to think about how to say it without offending the woman.

“I’ve learned how to treat wounds from a number of different people. My father learned a lot from the Sioux that he taught to me and I learned a thing or to from the Comanche.”

“This should be stitched.” The doctor said.

“That would be a matter of opinion doctor.” Scarlet said somewhat uncomfortable with the man’s thoughts.

He raised an eyebrow in question.

“What’s your success rate with stitching a wound like that?” Scarlet asked.

“Anything broken?” He asked.

Scarlet shook her head no.

“I’d say good then.”

“Good, but you’ve had some problems?”

“We’ve had to amputate a few with this kind of wound, not many.” The doctor said.

“I’ve only ever seen one Indian with an amputated leg from a wound like this. He was treated by a white doctor.”

The doctor didn’t know what to say at this point.

“Indians believe the salve draws out poisons and keeps the tissue moist. It promotes healing from the inside out. By leaving the wound open you can see if there is any infection inside. You stitch it up, by the time you realize it’s infected it’s most likely to late. Marshal Ross deserves a better than good chance.” Scarlet stated as a matter of fact.

“Alright then.” The doctor said placing a fresh bandage on it.

“If he starts to fuss please come and get me.” Scarlet said then turned to leave.

“Miss.”

Scarlet looked over her shoulder.

“Would you tell me more about this kind of medicine sometime?”

Scarlet smiled. “Ella can most likely teach you more if you’re really interested but I will tell you what I know.”

The doctor smiled back at her.

They were almost to the door when she heard the familiar annoying voice.

“Ms. Corbin.” Andrew Fields wondered just how long he would take to get under Fritz’s skin. It wasn’t that he had anything against Fritz, except the fact he was with Scarlet, and he just couldn’t help himself but try and irritate her every chance he got.

Scarlet knew she should have ignored him and kept going but she stopped.

“What is it?”

He tried to sound innocent but he meant to make her mad, after all what could she do to him here. “Tell me what is it about old..er men you find attractive?”

Scarlet’s eyes narrowed. She really would have liked to have gone over and kicked the bed out from under him. Instead she turned and walked to his bedside with the sweetest smile on her face. She reached down and gently touched her fingers to his cheek and responded in a voice that held pity for him.

“Ah Darlin’ it’s not the age that makes a difference. It’s just…well.” A distressed look crossed her face. “men like my late husband and Fritz know how to conduct themselves on and off the battlefield. And well….until today I thought you at least knew how to conduct yourself on the battlefield.” She looked at him laying there and a more pity filled looked crossed her face. “I’ve been told you really don’t know how to off of it either. You poor dear.”

A few of the men snickered. Fields’ face turned bright red. Scarlet batted her eyelashes, suppressed the wicked grin that threatened her lips and turned taking Fritz by the hand as they went out the door.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Fritz pulled his boots off.  The Colonel's quarters were small, but warm and well appointed.  The bed was brass, and large enough for two.  She knew what he was thinking.

"Why is he letting us stay here together?  After all," Scarlet purred coyly, "we aren't married yet."

He worked his way out of his shirt.  He'd have to soak it soon, to get most of the blood out.  "I'm sure he realizes we've been together before.  Neither of us are virgins."

She swatted his good shoulder.

"Besides, Sam Troutman's been on campaign.  He's shared his bed a time or two."

Scarlet slipped her pistol under her pillow.  "You think I was too hard on Fields."  It wasn't a question.

"No," Fritz replied.  "But he's already on shaky ground.  He was wounded before his command.  I showed him up, inadvertantly.  It's natural that he be jealous."

Scarlet's shirt slipped off her shoulders, revealing bare skin.  "Has he reason to be jealous?"

Fritz touched her shoulders; an electric charge passed between them.

"You bet he does.  Come lay down."     

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2006, 07:49:27 PM »
Scarlet was up before dawn. She had quietly slipped out of bed, into her clothes and out the door to go feed the horses.  By the time she had thrown them hay and gone over them for the second time looking for any scrapes she’d missed last night there was a bustle of activity in the fort.

Scarlet climbed up on the fence and watched the men. A small patrol had ridden out all in an organized line. Others were practicing drills. There didn’t seem to be the chaos here you could find at the Starr if you went looking or felt like starting.

Johnny ran a tight crew to be sure, but they were more like a large family. There was no negotiating going on to see if some one could get out of something they really didn’t want to do today at the Fort. Something that Scarlet had not given a second thought to until one of the first times Fritz saw the men at the Starr doing it. She half smiled remembering him asking “are they kidding. Shouldn’t they just do as they were told?”  She’d told him it didn’t happen often. The look he had on his face at the time told her he thought it shouldn’t happen at all.

While everyone always seemed to have something to do at the Starr it was different than being here.

Fritz awoke when she’d gotten up. He was pretty sure he knew where she might be going but she’d been gone much longer than he’d expected, even if she might have stopped to check on Tensleep. He’d had time to dress and check his gear then wonder what was keeping her. He’d start with the corral.

He smiled when he saw her sitting on the railing, his smile fading as he got closer. He could see it in her eyes there was something bothering her.

She glanced down at him as he approached then her eyes went back to the activities around them. She didn’t wait for him to say anything she just began to speak.

“I’m happy riding with Tensleep. He’s a good Marshal and he’s a good boss, we’ve similar views.  I was happy, in a sense, when I was ridding with Jimmy, Dad and Bo, happy as I could be at the time anyway.”

Fritz knew she was talking about bounty hunting.

“I missed that person when I worked for Hart. He changed me in subtle ways at first, things I almost didn’t notice or I thought he had a good reason for. I woke up one morning not liking him for it and it got worse from there.

I told you once I would not change yet slowly I’ve changed you. You’re even living in a different world so to speak. I told you once you should do what’s best for you Fritz.” She looked down at him. “I still want what’s best for you I don’t ever want you waking up on that ranch thinking you have to endure another day in a place you’re really not happy with a person who has changed you to someone you don’t want to be.”

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
He'd woke with revelrie, well before Scarlet.  He heard the trumpter's call, and started to move.  Then Fritz realized he didn't have to wake up.  He cuddled closer to Scarlet, and drifted off again.

When he woke the second time, she was gone.  Fritz didn't have his shaving kit, so he made himself as presentable as possible before stepping out.  Even now, in the dim morning light, the fort was bustling with activity.  He knew he'd miss it when his time was up.  And that time was quickly approaching.  But he'd discovered a new life, one that was worth living.

He saw her sitting on the corral's rail fence.  Fritz smiled as the first rays of sunlight danced across her face.  Then he noticed the pain in her eyes.

He let her speak her piece, then paused.  He wanted to find the right words.  Fritz searched his vest pocket for a smoke.  His last cigar had been smashed beyond recognition.

"Damn."

He saw her eyes...were there tears there?  Or just a trick of the light.

"Darlin," Fritz began, "you know me better than anyone, but you still doubt yourself."

He climbed up on the fence next to his love.  "You've shown me that there's so much more to life than Army Blue.  I've given most of my adult life to the service of my country.  I've forgotten what it was like to have passion in my life.  To love something more than and ideal."

She took his hands.

"I want you to be happy, sugar.  That's all that matters to me."

Fritz kissed her cheek.

"Then marry me Scarlet.  Make me that happiest man on earth."   

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2006, 07:52:10 AM »
Ella had woken to the dinner bell calling the hands.  She dressed and washed her face before going down to the kitchen.  "Have Becca and the boys gotten dinner yet?" she asked Rose. 

"Not yet.  I was going to take a tray out there as soon as everything is settled in here," answered Rose.

"I'll take the tray out, and eat with them."

Dinner was stew - one pot of food that could handle every appetite from an invalid able to eat only broth to a ranch hand who had been working hard all day.  Ella put cups, bowls and silverware with a small kettle of stew and a pitcher of water on a tray, and carried it out to the foaling shed. 

"Becca," she called from outside the door.  "Open up.  I've got my hands full of dinner for the four of us."

Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
Ella could hear Mr. Dawg sniffing at the door from the other side, then Becca laugh softly.

“I think ya mighta forgot one of us.” She said slightly opening the door and peeking out just to be sure Ella was alone.

Mr. Dawg sat politely while Ella stepped in. “Go on.” Becca said to the big black dog who looked longingly towards the house. 

He let out one big “woof” and then went straight for the kitchen. Of course he never completely made it all the way without getting scraps from the cowboys.

The living quarters in the foaling shed were small but it had a table to eat at, a stove for heat and a bed.

“The table is meant for two but I think we can all squeeze up to it.” Becca said moving a few things out of the way so Ella could put the tray down. “Blue Feather has been resting comfortably. I had one of the men bring in Gypsy and her colt, that has kept Wolf Song occupied for some time.”

Wolf Song flashed a wide grin.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »
"I thought I might get a language lesson over dinner," said Ella, grinning back at Wolf Song.  "Maybe horses are a good topic to start on."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
Wolf Song looked as if he might explode with excitement.

He thought about it for a moment..just how to put it correctly for Ella.

"I am told, I can.." he was trying to remember the correct word" chew you're ear off about them." He fianlly said.

Becca surpressed a grin and looked at Ella.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2006, 12:12:22 PM »
Scarlet smiled softly. Fritz knew her well. He was completely correct saying she doubted herself.

Scarlet would stand toe to toe in hand to hand combat with a man twice her size and never give it a second thought, throw a saddle on a horse that hadn’t been ridden for years and give what she felt was pretty decent advice to those who asked. But affairs of her own heart…..she supposed she was a victim of society’s ideals.

Society taught you you got married and raised a family. She couldn’t give him a family. A few short seconds had changed that for her. The man who had caused the accident had paid with his head. Scarlet would do it again given the chance. Then there had been Scott. He continuously had talked about raising a family. They had left Fritz a hell of a mess to deal with, whether he knew it or not.

They had talked about family, he was aware of the situation. Fritz had slipped once. It had been a natural comment between two people who loved one another about her being a good mother someday. She had never said anything regarding it and he may not even remember saying it. She didn’t hold it against him but it occasionally made her wonder if she really could make him happy.   

Scarlet watched him climb up next to her. Listened to what he had to say before taking his hand and telling him his happiness is what mattered to her.

She closed her eyes and smiled as he kissed her cheek. There was never any doubt in her mind he had her heart.

Scarlet was surprised when she heard him say "Then marry me Scarlet.  Make me that happiest man on earth." She opened her eyes and looked at him thinking of saying the same things they had been over before. But this time she thought before opening her mouth.

Rebecca had asked her not long ago is she had any regrets about Fritz. Scarlet had replied she regretted when he had asked her to marry him she had sounded like some negotiator telling him why it might be a bad idea. She had wished she would have jumped into his arms and accepted.

Scarlet trusted him with her life and her heart it was about time to “cowboy up” as the men would say and prove it.

Scarlet let go of his hand, swung down and stood on the middle rail, positioning herself between his knees. She cupped his cheek and smiled causing him to smile. Scarlet looked into his eyes that sparkled the minute he smiled at her. She leaned in and kissed him passionately, a very inappropriate display of affection in public but she did not care.

Her lips barely brushed his as she spoke. “I will marry you Fritz, and I will do my very best to see to it we are very happy and you never forget what it is like to have passion in your life.” 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2006, 08:41:35 PM »
Sam Troutman stepped outside the barracks to take in the morning air.  He lit his pipe.  A hot cup of coffee steamed in his hand.  He looked across the parade deck, and saw something he thought he'd never see.  Fritz sat on the top rail of the corral.  Scarlet stood between his knees.  She kissed him passionately.  Fritz returned in kind.  He was in uniform...and didn't seem to care.

The Officer of the Day strode purposefully towards the couple.  Sam called him over.

"What's your plan son?"

The young man saluted.  "Sir, that Sergeant is publically displaying his affection...and to one of those LONGKNIFES to boot!"

Sam shook his head and laughed.  "Leave him alone son.  Can't you see he's in love?"   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »
Scarlet leaned back and smiled at Fritz. She looked forward to the sunrises because of him, the sunsets even more so. That was just one of the things he could see in her smile as she looked into his eyes.

“Penny for your thoughts.” He said softly.

Scarlet slightly blushed and chuckled softly. 

Fritz grinned and raised an eyebrow. “Milady, you blush at your own thoughts?”

“Save your penny Fritz King.” She said placing her hand over his as he made the gesture of searching for a penny. “I will tell you two things.”

They both grinned again.

“First, I love you with all my heart.” She kissed him softly. “Second, you sir, make my horse very jealous.”  Scarlet chuckled.

Fritz looked next to him to see Lucky bumping Scarlet’s shoulder with his nose to get her attention while he eyed Fritz like he was a trespasser.

Scarlet ran her fingers through Lucky’s long forelock and she made a kissing noise as the horse touched the end of his nose to her chin. “I love you too; nobody can take your place.” She said.

A look of satisfaction seemed to reflect in Lucky’s eyes. Fritz could just imagine the animal saying “Ha! I knew it, and now you do too.”  Lucky bobbed his head up and down before he turned and went back to his breakfast.

“I think he has a good idea, finding something to eat before we get moving.” Scarlet said stepping off of the fence. “Then I will need to change Tensleep’s dressing before we get underway.”

Fritz climbed off the fence. “I highly doubt any of those thoughts would cause you to blush.” He teased.

Scarlet’s eyes danced and she flashed him an impish grin. “Perhaps you shall have to ask your wife.” She teased back.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »
They had just settled down to eat dinner when Patches rapped on the door.  "Becca, Scarlet sent that they're all at the fort, mission accomplished, back in the morning." 

With Becca's worry eased, dinner was a cheerful meal, with a lot of laughter as Ella and Wolf Song traded language lessons.  Blue Feather was feeling much better, and he helped teach Ella. 

Too soon, Ella felt duty calling her to return to the infirmary.  She took the tray back to the kitchen on the way. 

She could hear laughter from the infirmary as she approached.  Once inside the building, she could hear Patches and Bill telling stories.  Her face grew warm when she realized they were painting her as a dime-novel heroine. 

She decided to check on Jimmy's friend and John Smith in the small room first.  Both were awake.  Jimmy was feeding broth to John Smith.  The empty bowl next to his friend indicated that he had also eaten. 

"How are you feeling," she asked. 

"Surprised to be alive," he answered. 

"There's still a bullet in your back to be removed, but I can take care of that in the morning. You don't want to move around any more than you need to until it's out, else it might damage your spine.  Do you need anything?"

"Not a thing.  James is taking real good care of me." 

Ella turned her attention to Smith, "How are you feeling?"

"I remember I was starting to tell the Sergeant what I saw, when everything went black," he answered.  "I heard Andrews cussing about redskins, but the man who shot me was all white, unnaturally white."

"The Sergeant will be back in the morning, and he'll want to hear what you saw.  I'll come back later to change your bandages." 

In the other room, Bill was just finishing up the story.  "George hung there for a good five seconds and then peeled off the rock like old wallpaper to tumble head over heels to the shallows below where he lay moaning softly."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »
Combined effort of Scarlet & Tensleep

Scarlet held out a piece of paper as she approached the doctor. “Here’s the list of ingredients that I used.”

“Thank you.” He replied taking the paper.

“How’s the Marshal?” She asked.

“You can ask him yourself.” The doctor replied.

Scarlet walked up to where Tensleep lay. “Becca wouldn’t look kindly on me if I lost ya. She’s not going to be impressed I let you get shot up.” She smiled. “How you feeling?”

"I feel like a wagon loaded with gunpowder just ran over me. How do I look?"
Tensleep laid his head back down. "What happened?"

Scarlet put her hand to his forehead, he wasn’t running a fever, his color was much better than when they came in but had not completely come back. “Ya look like someone poked a hole in yer leg after the wagon run ya down. You going to let me look at it or would you prefer the doctor here do it?”

"Are you kiddin' me.... 'course I want you to look at it... who was it patched me up? Was you wasn't it?" Tensleep looked at Scarlet. "Did we finish 'em off?"

“Yeah, that’s my handiwork.” Scarlet said as she unwrapped the wound. “As far as I know. If there are any left alive they are going to be turning themselves into the army I’m sure.” She said placing her palm over the entry and exit points feeling for any heat that might be caused by infection. She watched his eyes for a reaction to her touch. If there was nerve damage he most likely wouldn’t feel light touch on his thigh.

"Ouch! Watch out woman!" Scarlet quickly looked at Tensleep, he was grinning. "Want me to tell 'Becca an' Fritz what yer up to?" He winked at her.

“Enjoy it, it’s about to get worse, and Fritz already knows about us.” She chuckled softly.

“I need some warm clean water, a pan, syringe, towels, and more bandages, all of it clean.” She said to the doctor who went promptly to retrieve what she’d asked for.

Scarlet pulled the jar she’d taken from her saddlebags earlier from her pocket.

She looked back to Tensleep. “It’s gonna hurt some.”

He grimaced when he heard those words because when Scarlet said hurt she meant pain! "Do yer damndest, I reckon I'll live. Jist remember lady, I am yer boss an' payback is liable to be when yer least expectin' it." The grimmace turned to a grin.

“Well then, I’ll either have to be real gentle or just make it worth what’s comin’.” Scarlet grinned at him.

"Gentle would be nice missy, jist get it over with." Tensleep was laying back now.

The doctor returned with all of the things she asked for.

Most of Tensleep’s pant leg was already missing so she didn’t have to worry about that getting in the way.

“Lift yer leg, I’m going to put the pan under it.” Scarlet said.

As soon as Tensleep relaxed his leg Scarlet said “Don’t move.” She poked her small finger in the hole in Tensleep’s leg pushing the paste she’d put in there the night before out the other side as best as she could catching it in her other hand.

Tensleep looked at the doctor. "This tha way you treat yer patients?"

"Uh... no, no, I have never uh, done this sort of treatment." The doctor was wide eyed.

"Reckon you need to spend some time with Ella or ah Shoshone medicine man then, might learn something." Tensleep was now holding his breath.

"Dammit gal, you study with that Shoshone dawg Blue Cloud? He made me kick him one time an' now yer gittin' close."

“Johnny Longknife, cept he uses a stick. Spinning Bear, Comanche, uses his finger if he can. Says you can feel things ain’t supposed to be there.” She said with one last push. 

The doctor stared; he’d never seen anybody do such a thing.

Scarlet began to look closely at the gooey mess in her hand.

She held her hand over to him. “What does it tell ya?”

The doctor looked close. The stuff in the jar was white. This was white with some blood mixed in. “It bled some but not much.”

“What does it smell like?”

The doctor looked at her. She wasn’t kidding, so he sniffed at her hand. “I don’t know.”

Scarlet smiled. “What it doesn’t smell like is rotten flesh, and what I didn’t feel is any puss.”

She stepped over to the sink and washed her hands then came back.

“The worse part is over Sugar.” She said to Tensleep.

"Thank you darlin', yer gettin' almost as good as Ella. I'll be ready to ride in two days now. Gonna push some more o' that salve down that hole now?" The grin was back on the marshal's face. "Sure hope yer gonna feed me after tha torture is over."

"You will never ride in two..." The army doctor started.

"Tha hell I won't, you just watch me." Tensleep had fire in his voice.

“I’m gonna flush the rest of it out then yes, fill it back up.” Scarlet said filling the syringe with the warm water. “Ella probably has something that would have killed the pain while she removed the salve."

She flushed the wound then removed the pan she had placed under his leg. She looked at the contents of the pan as well to make sure there was nothing there that shouldn’t be.

"Then yer gonna get me a steak right?"

Scarlet looked at the doctor out of the corner of her eye. “Seems like a small request considering how many Ella had to feed and doctor.”

The doctor called one of the nurses over. She looked wide eyed as she listened to the doctor’s request.

“You couldn’t do that in front of all the other patients wouldn’t be proper. Can he be moved?” She asked.

Scarlet was finishing packing the wound and beginning to bandage it by this time.

“Would be up to the Marshal.” She looked at Tensleep. “Fritz also was able to arrange a buckboard if you want to go home today. That is unless you want to wait til you can ride outta here in a couple days.”

"Lemme eat and then we ride far as I'm concerned. Home at tha Starr is where we need to be." Tensleep looked at the doctor. "Reckon the army will loan me some pants?"

The nurse disappeared and returned with some pants and a clean shirt for Tensleep. “The doctor said you could eat in his office.” She said placing the clothes on the bed next to Tensleep. “Now let me help you.”

“I’ll meet you in the doctor’s office.” Scarlet said.

"I'll be along in a minute er two, I ready to head out."

The doctor followed Scarlet asking her questions about what was on the list she’d given him and amazed to find out everything could be found in the general area.

“I would like to meet the lady Ella you speak of.” He said pushing his glasses up again as he spoke.

“Why don’t you come with the patrol that should be picking up the men that are at the Starr?” Scarlet replied causing the doctor to smile.

“I understand the Southern Starr has a telegraph?” He said

Scarlet half smiled and shook her head yes as she thought the Southern Starr had a lot of stuff people might be surprised to find out.

“We should wire them and ask Miss Ella when the men can be moved and if she would have time to speak with me.” The doctor said.

Scarlet changed direction and headed towards the fort’s telegraph office.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2006, 06:07:11 PM »
The ride back to the Starr was uneventful.  It was a beautiful day.  The sky was a brilliant blue, the sun shone brightly.  Hawks traced lazy circles in the air.  Fritz was thankful he could notice these things.  Perhaps it was the woman beside him that made it so.  He thanked God for her.

This day stood in sharp contrast to those previous.  It was easy to forget the fighting and death that occurred...but you never really forgot, did you?

Lucky and Buddy were side by side in the harness of the borrowed buckboard.  They worked well together.  Tensleep lay in the back, atop saddles, horse blankets, and various pieces of gear.  His eyes were closed, but he probably felt every bump in the road.  His horse was tied to the rear of the wagon. 

“So,” asked Scarlet, “what do you want as a wedding present?”

Fritz really hadn’t thought about it.  “You’re all the present I need,” he replied.

“You sure you won’t get tired of unwrapping it?”

He slid his hand along her thigh.  “Not a chance.”

Fritz suppressed a smile.  She noticed it immediately.  “What are you grinning about?”

“Nothing.  What do you want as a wedding gift?”

It was her turn to smile.  “Whatever you get me, I’m sure I’ll love it.”

He’d hoped there was time to put the finishing touches on the house.  Maybe Rose had done some work to it while they’d been gone.

They arrived at the Starr without incident.  Fritz figured he’d get a tongue lashing from ‘Becca, for almost getting her man killed.  She’d practically jumped into the buckboard, and ‘Sleep’s waiting arms.

“Yeah,” Fritz thought.  “I know what that feels like.”

Scarlet jumped out of the wagon and hugged her mom.  Johnny looked at Fritz and nodded.  He seemed to say, “You done good.  You brought her home.

For once in his life, he felt like he was home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com