Author Topic: Weight- volume conversion table?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Weight- volume conversion table?
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:16:53 PM »
I went out and got a can pyrodex but dont have a volume measure. Is there any way I can use a regular powder scale to formulate my loads?

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Weight- volume conversion table?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »
Yup! Jist weigh out 30 grains...and it's 30 grains! :D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »
Howdy!

I assume you're loading BP (or Pyrodex or any of the subs) in cartridges, right?

Since the instructions will tell you to load by VOLUME, not weight, try this.  Fill your case with Pyro to where it will give you 1/8" to 1/4" compression when seating the bullet.   Then dump the powder into your scale's pan and measure the weight.  Then, just throw the same powder (measured by the weight of the first charge) amount into each shell.

Did I corn-fuse ya?  I hope not.  As an example, and these figures aren't exact but serve as an idea on how it works; volumetrically, 30 grains of Goex BP will take the same room in the case as 28 grains of Pyrodez.  By weighing the first charge after you have the proper volume to fill  the case, you'll know both the VOLUME and WEIGHT.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:39:43 PM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 10:14:41 PM »
How do I know how much will give me 1/8 - 1/4 compression?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:13:48 AM »
I simply hold a new bullet NEXT to the case.  You can then see how deep the bullet needs to be seated.  Fill the case to 1/8" to 1/4" more than where the bullet base will be.  Some take a pencil or a wooden dowel rod and mark it for the proper fill level.  Also, depending on how much of your bullet will stick into the case, some will tell you to fill the case with powder, jiggle it a bit to settle the powder, then seat the bullet.  This method can work, but you can also put too much powder in and when the bullet is seated, it will bulge the case.  This isn't particularly UNsafe, but it might not be able to chamber in your pistol or rifle.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:08:24 PM »
Thankyou freind, you've been a big help.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 07:34:24 AM »
Heh, heh....

I was so scared of the stuff when I started.  Got me a ruined case.  Sized the thing.  Put a thin cut-off wheel in the Dremel 'n cut a slot in it.  The slot was small 'nuff it didn't lose the powder but big 'nuff I could see where it was.  Dumped the powder in the thing then held a bullet aside it 'til I got the desired 16th to 8th inch compression.  Went so far as to actually measure it.

When I'm fiddlin' with a different bullet today, if there's a question, I use the dowel method of Steel Horse.  Just makin' sure it's gonna be squished a little.  Most times it's obvious, but the dowel/pencil thing works very well.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Lars

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 07:54:42 AM »
All of the versions of Pyrodex (Select, P) that I have weighed all weighed 0,734 as much as a nominal BP. That is, 100 "grains" of Pyrodex from a BP powder measure set for 100 grains actually weighed 73,4 grains.  Get same result for 777 FFG.

Actually, NO BP can be counted on to give the same weight as one might expect from the volume. They all normally weigh a bit more, Swiss normally does, or quite a bit less, as do Pyrodex and 777, or only somewhat less (Pinnacle). Check Cptn. George Baylor's webbsite for a full set of data.

Lars

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 05:36:55 PM »
It's BP.  Why measure.  Fill the criter up and squish a boolet on top.   ;D  I shoot 45s and Goex BP and I fill the cases to about a 1/4 inch from the top and put on a sized boolet.  It works out to about 36 gn by vol.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:38 PM »
It's BP.  Why measure.  Fill the criter up and squish a boolet on top.   ;D  I shoot 45s and Goex BP and I fill the cases to about a 1/4 inch from the top and put on a sized boolet.  It works out to about 36 gn by vol.

LOL!!

Spoken like the true Dirty Rat that ya are.  Bore snakes notwithstandin'................................
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 08:36:13 AM »
Actually, WW, you are measurin' by volume.  In yer case it's all the case kin hold and still seat the boolit.  Trick here is to not squish the boolit too. . .

Merry Christmas Warthog!!! ;D ;D ;D

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com