Author Topic: Ceramic Media Case Cleaning  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ceramic Media Case Cleaning
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »
I think that I have read somwhere about cleaning cases used with black powder loads with ceramic cleaning media.  Does anyone have any info on this? Is it a wet or dry process?  Can it be used in a vibratory case cleaner or does it have bo be used in a tumbling type case cleaner?

Cleaning the big bore rifle cases that I now shoot with black powder by soaking and washing is not a big chore, but if I get into shooting black powder in my revolvers and lever action guns the amount of cases to be cleaned is going to go up about 10 fold.

Any info or referals will be appreciated.

Thanks.

HHW

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ceramic Media Case Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:31:48 PM »
I haven't used the stuff, but Fox Creek Kid thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Try sending him a PM, I don' think he checks in here very often.

(you can find him here: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=4610.0 and send a PM from that thread)

I'm thinkin' Dick Dastardly knows a lot about the stuff. Mebbe he'll pop in with some good advise
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Online hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 11:54:54 PM »
Long Jim Handcock just throws a handful of spent primers into the media and that shines his brass up just fine. I'd recommend washing/rinsing the primers first to get the primer residue out of them before using them as a polisher. He swears by them. They are free and last forever.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:34:30 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:32:41 AM »
Howdy!

Dick Dasterdly is under the weather and he may not be watching the posts.   I mention him because he is a ceramic media dealer.  Yep, it's a wet solution (as designed, but works well other ways, too).  The initial outlay is pretty steep (around $150 for the complete set-up; NOT including tumbler - don't quote me on the price, tho; it may be less) but the stuff is pretty well permanent and a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.  From all I've heard, it does a FABULOUS job.  There are a number of different sizes and shapes, so talk to Dick or someone else like Fox Creek Kid before you buy and you'll get it right.  Unlike others that CLAIM to clean the primer hole, I've heard that the media actually works!  I don't know if it can be used with a standard vibratory cleaner, but I think it can.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 09:44:42 AM »
HO!  I heard somebody clangin' my triangle!

I'm pokin' this out with one hand, but here's whut I wrote in response to my email this am.

"The ceramic Porcelain tumbling media, made rite here in Sun Prairie, is specifically designed to clean small metal parts and leave a very bright clean finish.  My tumbled brass, almost regardless of prior condition, comes out more shiny than new.  If I take the time to remove the primers first, it also cleans the primer pockets for me.  I maintain an invintory in stock for immediate delivery.

The media is 1/8"x11/23" long angle cut ceramic porcelain rod.  It is near as hard as diamonds.  The media should be given a wet break in tumble, with no brass, of eight hours.  It is then loaded into the tumbler in aproximately the same volume as the brass and then enough tumbling fluid is added to cover the load by about a half an inch.  It is necessary that the tumbler you use will run wet media.

The load, maximum amount determined by your tumbler manufacturer, is tumbled for a minimum of three hours.  The brass and media are then separated, I use a french fry basket, and the brass is rinsed and dried.  I put the damp brass back in the tumbler with some old corncob media for an hour to dry it.  The media is rinsed clean and flushed clear of the dirty tumbling fluid solution and drained and put in an open top container, ready for the next use.  The Ceramic Porcelain media does NOT wear out.  Just be careful not to loose it down the drain.  Your plumber won't have a drain snake made to take on that kind of stuff.  Also, don't get it on the floor cuz it will scratch anything, including marble.

The fact that it cleans ALL brass easily means that I now use it for all my brass tumbling needs, whether smokeyless or Holy Black.  It makes no difference and you can mix 'em in the same batch and you won't be able to tell 'em apart when they are finished tumbling.

I  like to put my main match BP brass in a wide mouth bottle with some dish detergent and water.  Much of the BP residue is disolved before I get home this way.

I'm pokin' this out one handed and it takes forever.  For best effect, read it slo............

Happy trails, enjoy the smoke!"

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the details, Mr. D!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:17:18 PM »
DD,

Thanks for the info and the eMail.  This sounds like the way to go especially for black powder case clean up.  If this project works out I'll be getting back to you with an order.  Thanks again and you type darn good with that one good hand.  Hurry and get healed so you can rat-a-tat-tat on the keyboard again.

HHW

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 07:14:21 PM »
Hey, the cast came off and I'm typin' this two handed. . .  Look any better?

One thing I forgot to add on my info on the Ceramic Porcelain media. . . . A few ivory soap flakes work well as a sofactant and emulsifier for the water in the media batch.  The solution concentrate supplied is optimal, but in an emergency, ivory soap flakes will get the job done.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »
  I tried it in a Midway vib tumbler. Followed all directions, Didn't work well for me, fortunately Cabelas took it back.
                             jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 08:09:34 AM »
Ho Trap,

Cabelas is a great outfit.  They'll take most anything back.

I wrote "It is necessary that the tumbler you use will run wet media."

Lyman makes a vib tumbler, the 650 I think, that will handle Ceramic Porcelain wet media.  I don't think the Midway vib tumbler was designed to use a wet load.  If not, it won't work.

If I were buying a new tumbler it would have to be the 15 pound load Thumbler Tumbler.  They're spendy, but the quality is the very best and their guarantee is iron clad no BS.

I have a RCBS rotary tumbler and it's not worth the high price.  I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and get a Thumbler Tumbler.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 08:56:05 AM »
  DD;
 I'm sure you are probably right ,I used water and it just sort of set there.
                                                                                jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com