Author Topic: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873  (Read 148436 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
Hey Grizzly Adams ,I know you said your a travelin man and all, but when ya get time,sure would like ta know if that new 73 in cal.357 will cycle 38spl.and 38 colt.Ifn you get a chance . Look's like a right nice rifle  there Pard...........Dusty

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
Hey Grizzly Adams ,I know you said your a travelin man and all, but when ya get time,sure would like ta know if that new 73 in cal.357 will cycle 38spl.and 38 colt.Ifn you get a chance . Look's like a right nice rifle  there Pard...........Dusty

The rifle runs both 38 and 357 equally.  I don' t have any 38 colt, but I don' t believe it would work.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Snakebite4767

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:54 AM »
I've had one on order since they first announced them.... but checked yesterday, and not here yet.

How about a photo of the rifle with the lever max open to see how long the throw is?

Snakebite

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:20:09 PM »

Offline Jan Buchwald

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:37 AM »
Very nice. Anyone who know if parts are interchangeable with the old ones

Offline Snakebite4767

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »
The article in this months Cowboy Chronicle seems to indicate that the original blue prints were used except for the 1886 type firing pin, and they mentioned a couple of coil springs. As for whether the existing "Short Stroke" kits will fit... I have little doubt that if they don't (I doubt they will), it will be nothing less than a race by the current kit builders to see who will be the first one out with a kit. Also.. no doubt that the "Cut, Wield and Bend" guys will get a early start beating up the insides. From what I have read, it sounds like it is pretty shoot-able right out of the box. If the throw is within finger reach without having to leave the wrist, it might not need anything other than ammo to get into the race.

Snakebite

ps... I'm glad to see this gun hit the market, and hope it is actually as good as it appears to be so far. The current batch of Uberti 73s are not, IMO, the quality that they use to be.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
I've had one on order since they first announced them.... but checked yesterday, and not here yet.

How about a photo of the rifle with the lever max open to see how long the throw is?

Snakebite

Snakebite, this is the action open and laid over an original 1873.

[/URL]

This is an original in front, the new 1873 in the middle, and an Uberti in the back.  The Uberti is equipped with a C &I 2nd generation short stroke kit.  As you can see, the new Winchester is about the same as the Uberti with the SS KIT.

[/URL]

Another shot of the three from above

[/URL]

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
Howdy
Wonder how long the wait will be for a 44wcf .
Griz
That's a fine looking addition to your 1873 family .

Offline Snakebite4767

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
Thanks GA! This is looking better all the time. Now I'm really hot for mine to arrive. This just might be not need anything. I was able to shoot my 2cd gen short stroke just about as fast as my 5th.... and it was certainly smoother.

I'm gonna call them again tomorrow...  ;D

Snakebite

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
Oh, my! I will or must have one to add to my stable of 1873's .

I hope the 44WCF will be soon. ;)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
Noticed Red Wing no longer has their 73 on the web site.  Is this the nail that put the lid on its coffin????  Could also have been the subcontractor for the parts not getting the programming for the CNC stuff done.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Howdy
Wonder how long the wait will be for a 44wcf .
Griz
That's a fine looking addition to your 1873 family .

My guess will be "a while". 

If you follow's Winchester's sales plan with the Miroku 92, 86, and 95:  They first introduce a "standard model" with a popular caliber.  If sales goes well (and it did for the 92 and 86, and so-so for the 95), then the "special models" start coming out in 500 or 1000 rifle batches every few years.  So far the 92 has had about 8 runs over the past 12 years or so.  The runs have included take-downs, deluxe models, rifles, short rifles, carbines, and a few odd caliblers.

I suspect the same plan with occur for the 73, especially since it is so iconic for Winchester.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
I spoke to the Winchester engineer (Glenn) about the '73's at the NRA convention.  He is responsible for that project for Winchester.  He said the 44-40's would be out in October.  He told me that that is the most requested caliber and will be the next out.

They also had a '73 at the show with fancy wood and color casehardened receiver, lever and buttplate.  They made 750 of them in 38/357 magnum, and he said they would likely make some in 44-40 also. The list price was $1,599 for them.  The advice was to get your order in early if you want one of the casehardened ones.

Oh yeah, he also said they would have a short stroke kit available around October.

I have to say that the guns at the show both had really nice actions and he claimed there was no tuning done to them.  For my personal use, I wouldn't do anything to them.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Blackpowder Burn
Thanks for the heads up on the 44wcf . Sounds like a heck of a Christmas present .

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
The one I handled at Shot Show had a nice smooth action as well.  They are obviously using lighter springs than Uberti.  The only thing I was disappointed with was the markings on the top tang and barrel.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
The one I handled at Shot Show had a nice smooth action as well.  They are obviously using lighter springs than Uberti.  The only thing I was disappointed with was the markings on the top tang and barrel.

Are they better than the Cimarron product?  I have been quite impressed with the Winchester/Browning/Miroku line of Lever guns' fit, finish and function.  But does one simply have to have one of these over a Cimarron?  Are they significantly different/better?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
Are they better than the Cimarron product?  I have been quite impressed with the Winchester/Browning/Miroku line of Lever guns' fit, finish and function.  But does one simply have to have one of these over a Cimarron?  Are they significantly different/better?

No.  Uberti has been making Winchester clones for over 40 years.  They are pretty good at it.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »

Both Uberti and Miroku have had a lot of experience building Winchester clones, and you really can't go wrong with either! ;D  IMHO, based on my experience with both, I would say that the Miroku Winchester 1873 exhibits better quality in terms of build tolerances, and overall fit and finish.  The Miroku/Winchester 1873 exhibits the same high quality as the previous Browning/Winchester/Miroku 1892,1886, 1895 and 71 have exhibited. It goes one better by not having a rebounding hammer or tang safety.

I would agree with Pettifogger, that Uberti builds a fine 1873, but most I have encountered/owned require a bit of work to get them to the level of smoothness this new Winchester exhibits.  Can it be improved?  Sure, and I am certain that someone is working on that as we speak! 

In short, both the  Uberti and the Winchester are excellent rifles.  The price point on both is pretty close.  Does one simply have to have one of these over the Cimarron/Uberti?  Well, no! :)
GAF

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
Thanks you guys!

Man I appreciate the experience and responsiveness here.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
Handled one today at the LGS, I have a Uberti short rifle on layaway there, they just got the new winchester this week, compared it sxs with the uberti, fit and finish are equal, uberti feels heavier, more solid on cycling the action, I prefer the CCH over straight blue, and nota fan of the round barrels, doesn't look right to me unless it is on a carbine model, but either one seems like it would function fine, more ascetic differences than anything, and winny was $20 cheaper than uberti, doesn't matter much on a $1200 rifle though

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
 Grizzly Adams could you tell us if Winchester is using a caliber specific magazine tube on this '73 or did they compromise like the Italians ?

Thanks, Bonesteel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com