Author Topic: 1858 Remington hammer problem at full cock  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 Remington hammer problem at full cock
« on: September 23, 2006, 01:13:54 PM »
Sorry guys put this on gunsmith part of site as well, however you fella's always sorted any probs I've had in the past..  Hope doing this is OK sincere apologies if I shouldn't have done this..
Had this problem a few weeks back after  GOOD clean its seemed fine.  In the mean time I orded a new trigger and forked spring thinking replacing the aforementioned might solve.  Anyway problem occured again today and decided to replace trigger, works fine until I put the cylinder back in - can't understand this?  I thought that forked spring might have got weak so tried to change that, however longer part of spring that goes against the trigger is longer than original just about fits, but to no avail.
If the gun locks on full cock etc.. all seems fine why won't it work with the cylinder in?  This has got me stumped.  I think its going to be a gunsmith job as I'm out of ideas.
Can any of you good folks offer an explanation, or advise further????
If I file down spring will I need to heat it to give back strength etc..?

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1858 Remington hammer problem at full cock
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
Just put the original trigger back in and its working fine, however very, very sensitive let off - real hair trigger
Hhhhhhhhhhhhmmm.   Not sure if I can live with this, and suspect I'm going to encounter the same problem with use..

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
Just put the original trigger back in and its working fine, however very, very sensitive let off - real hair trigger
Hhhhhhhhhhhhmmm.   Not sure if I can live with this, and suspect I'm going to encounter the same problem with use..

Take a swipe acrosst that trigger with a fine file. Jist once, no more, and put it back in. Should take care of the hair trigger problem.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:28:23 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 08:55:17 AM »
Howdy, Sundance!

You might also check the small notch(es) on the bottom of the hammer.  The trigger should engage the main one (the sear) on the hammer.  If there is grit in the notch, the trigger won't seat correctly.  The notch could have some grit in it or (hopefully not)   be broken.

You can also carefully grind the longer leg on that new spring, just do it with a file until it is the right length to work.  If you grind it off with a power tool, BE CAREFUL!!  A power tool (grinder, etc.) can get the spring too hot which can make it lose its "temper."
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »
Hhhhhmmm Should have read your thread earlier.  I just used a Dremel on that forked spring - did it slowly though  it did'nt heat up.  Fitted the new trigger and spring and the let off after some light Dremel work on the trigger - it was a mile off being right, and a polish with very fine wet and dry all seems right.  Just hope I haven't messed up the temper of that spring.
Original trigger - tried what you said Cuts, but still too light - thanks for the help fella's.
It's more satisying sorting it yourself than handing it to a gunsmith.. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com