Author Topic: "Take-Apart" Spencer !!!  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: "Take-Apart" Spencer !!!
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 12:47:00 PM »
I heard back from Chiappa re: the loose barrel and barrel band on my carbine.

They told me that they use a green Loc Tite he called "Vibratite", so they know they have a problem. They are looking into the issue at their end.
They also suggested that I bend my barrel band and/or shim it to make it fit!

I told them that was unacceptable on a new rifle and I expected a new barrel band.

Unbelievable ....  ::)

Did they say that they would send you a new barrel band or, are you stuck with bending or shimming the original one?
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
I have twice now asked for a new barrel band. I told them that someone in their "artisanal shop" who supposedly checks for fit was having a bad day.

The barrel rotation problem is probably unique to the carbines. On the three band rifles, the stock and bands would hold the barrel in place.

This is why they asked me if I had a carbine or a rifle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 02:17:34 PM »
The loose barrel is an issues that Chiappa needs to have corrected before it left the factory.

The loose barrel band was an issue even on the originals, both on the rifles and the carbines that were equipped with a sling swivel on the bands. (the rifles were of course on the middle barrel band)
This is due to the weight of the firearm being carried on the sling, compressing the forearm wood.
Not much can be done about this issue, except a shim of some sort. I would suggest black electricians tape on the bottom of the barrel band to start with. This will add some protection from the wood compression. Next, if there is still a problem is to try a bit of tape between the barrel and forearm "at" the barrel band placement point.
The bands between the rifle and carbine are not interchangeable!
I hope this info helps?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 03:28:00 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm not expecting a replacement band from Chiappa so I'll try the electrical tape fix.

A strip of electrical tape cut to width did the trick ....  ;D  The band is now a snug fit, requiring a gentle tap to settle it in place.

No more annoying rattle when handling the gun!
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
Today Chiappa advised me to contact their Canadian warranty repair centre for a replacement barrel band.

This outfit has the worst customer reviews imaginable. I told this to Chiappa and recommended switching dealers. They are taking this under advisement.

Offline Jbar4Ranch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 07:24:07 PM »
My Chiappa .56-.50 Spencer barrel came loose at a match. I made a conscious effort to hold clockwise pressure on it for the remaining stages. When I got home, I took it off, degreased both sets of threads, applied blue Loctite, and screwed it back in as tight as I could with hand pressure. I let the Loctite set up good for about a month, and started shooting it again. That was probably at least eight years ago, and it's held fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com