Author Topic: New to CAS, interested in it, no guidance though.  (Read 5113 times)

Offline tweeter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to CAS, interested in it, no guidance though.
« on: June 28, 2004, 08:18:13 PM »
I have been guided by voices in my head (not my wallet) to pursue cowboy action shooting, my wife would just as soon not hear of it.

Obviously, I need a pair of single-actions, a lever-gun and a shotgun.

I am probably going to get a pair of Vaqueros and a Uberti Yelloyboy, but I got no clue as to what kinda scattergun to get.

By the way, iffen anyone's got an idea as to where I can get into a CAS shoot in Washington, lemme know... 'kay?

Oh, and... Thanks for havin me, it's nice to be here.
In God we trust, for everything else, there are jumpmasters.

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
Re: New to CAS, interested in it, no guidance though.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 08:24:58 PM »
Howdy Tweeter and Welcome to CAS City

I like my SxS with mule ear hammers but other prefer a '97 pump. Just a matter of choice unless you wanta shoot Classic category, then you'll need the mule ears. ;D

Here is what SASS (www.sassnet.com) has listed for Washington State:
Mica Peak Marshals 1st Sat & 3rd Sat Old Lead Spreader 509-926-3665 Spokane Valley, WA

Renton United Cowboy Action Shooters 1st Sat & 1st Sun Jess Ducky 425-271-9286 Renton, WA

North East Washington Regulators 1st Wknd B. B. Wolfe 509-722-4110 Colville, WA

Black Rock Bunch 2nd Sat Pataha 509-452-1181 Yakima, WA

Smokey Point Desperados 2nd Sun Mudflat Mike 425-335-5176 Marysville, WA

Apple Valley Marshals 3rd Sat Silent Sam 509-884-3875 East Wenatchee, WA

Ghost Riders-Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club 3rd Sun Kwicksdraw Cuervo 425-222-6058 Snoqualmie, WA

Evergreen Cowboys 4th Sat Montana Slim 360-754-4328 Littlerock, WA

Custer Renegades 4th Sun Fleetwood 360-318-9758 Custer, WA

Webfoot Buckaroos 4th Sun Alzada Slim 360-308-8384 Poulsbo, WA

Young Guns 4th Sun Akokey 360-373-4605 Bremerton, WA

Lewis River Rangers 4th Sun Medicine Bill 360-694-1913 Vancouver, WA

Rattlesnake Gulch Rangers Last Sat Crisco 509-628-0889 Benton City, WA

Beazley Gulch Rangers Last Sun Caliche Jack 509-785-4503 Quincy, WA

Old West Cowboys & Guns Shooting Society As Sched Bear Britches 800-735-1348 Mill Creek, WA

~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 08:54:49 PM »
Howdy pard,

Sound like a fair combination of irons ya got yer sights set on gittin there!

Re the scatter gun: You won't go wrong with a simple SxS scatter gun. The hammer guns are ok too and needed if you want to shoot in SASSs Classic Cowboy catagory, but fer the most part the plain SxS will do anything ya need. The hammered pump guns are nice too, but again they limit ya in certain catagories. Best bet would be to contact some of those clubs mentioned above and arrange to attend a match or three to see what ya think about each type. You'll prolly find plenty of pards who are more than willing to let you try thier scattergunz. That'll give ya much better idear than lissinin to us expound on the virtues of what we've chosen fer ourselves.  ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:31:20 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:32:37 AM »
The cost of starting out can be a bit overwhelming. There are a couple of websites to bid on guns.   Auction Arms and GunBroker. You should be able to find some guns for a good price. The SXS shotgun is a little easier to load and reload than the pump shotgun. :) ;) 8) :o ??? ::)
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 08:39:24 AM »
You should also check out Gunsamerica.com.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 06:40:49 PM »
As others have already said, a simple hammerless SxS (like the rugged little Stoeger) will work great to get you started.  After you have some time and matches under your belt, you can look around at the other options.  I chose the Stoeger at first and other than a little polshing up, it worked great right out of the box.  I also opted to go with a Chinese 97 copy and I like it alot.  It is now my main match scattergun (for no other reason than I'm a touch faster with it than the SxS).  I've also got a deposit in with Coyote Cap.....he's a wiz at slicking up most of the Chinese shotguns.....for one of the reproduction 1887 lever-action shotguns.  They look very cool!! :)

Anyway, find something you like and can hit with and use it until the barrels peel apart.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 09:39:18 PM »
Howdy,

Welcome to CAS City and the game!
Getting lots of good advice so far.  Just remember that you can probably borrow a shotgun without any problem for a good while.. so don't get in a rush.  The shotgun is the cheapest to buy usually, but don't be tempted.

Good luck with the rest of it.  Go visit those good folks in the Northwest.  They will sure take care of you.
Adios,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com