Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774661 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #2380 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
Wow, that's quite a group! There's a smaller group from around Kansas City that flies replica WW! planes, but most are 3/4 or 7/8 scale....most of those appear to be full scale with lots of original engines.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2381 on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:10 AM »
Ain’t sure which one it was. Looked in it ‘n the pilot’s seat was a board. Airspeed indicator was a pointer onna scale ‘n hadda paddle on it. T’was hangin’ under the high wing off ta the left. Air pushed the paddle back, that moved the pointer. Asked the docent how it was calibrated ‘n he said, ‘hairdryer.’

If I hadda get in one of ‘em I’d go ta the WWII stuff. The WWI guys had more nerve’n I was born with.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2382 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
WW I aircraft were the infancy of flight. But, the developements during the conflict advanced aviation immensely in  the short(?) duration of time :o ::)

Those planes in the post were interesting to say the least ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #2383 on: Today at 09:53:26 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2383 on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
WW1 pilots were braver than I. You do a lot of wild stuff when you are young.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2384 on: January 29, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
Boy, those New Zealanders sure have good taste about flying and restoring old Birds!  (I realize that most were probably new builds, but ... you know!)  I didn't realize that ANY Fokker D-8s were flying!

Awesome!

As to what my favorite era was, I would have to limit it to the 1903-present time frame!

Yes, those old kite-fliers had nerve of steel, and I don't consider myself any braver than the next guy stuck in my foxhole, but I'd take a flight in one of those planes in a heartbeat!!!!!  And if that was my time to go, I'd thank the Good Lord for it.

"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
  Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
  of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
  You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
  High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
  I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
  My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
  I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
  Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
 And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
  The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
  - Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

This is probably known to all of us regulars on this forum, but if not, it was written by the late John Gillespie Magee, Jr. an American who was raised in China & Britain and who flew Spitfires during the Battle Of Britain era.  He died at age 19 in a mid-air collision before he actually saw combat, but this poem speaks to me personally and to many pilots.  You can read more about him in this Wikipedia page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gillespie_Magee,_Jr.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2385 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
SHB, I am glad to see that you are warm and breathing, My Brother. It sounds like INdy has been snowed in a lot. Did you see my post on the P-61 restoration by the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading Pa.?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2386 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »
Wonder where they found it?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2387 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
Borneo!

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2388 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
Jeffi has been here?

Regret I never took the ride in Virginia at the Flying circus before I left there. in there open cockpit Bi-'s
Mathew 5.9

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #2389 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
The Old Rhinebeck aerodrome has flights available Here's the link...

http://oldrhinebeck.org/ORA/biplane-rides/
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2390 on: January 31, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
The Old Rhinebeck aerodrome has flights available Here's the link...

http://oldrhinebeck.org/ORA/biplane-rides/

Wow nice collection
Mathew 5.9

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2391 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
Litl Rooster, I've had the pleasure of a 2 day visit to Old Rheinbeck and it is awesome.  I'm sure it's even grander than when I was there in the mid 1970s.  Cole Palen (who owned & operated it until his death) was still flying and it is one ofg the greatest thrills of my life.

Litl Jimmy, yes ... I saw your post about the P-61.  They were very advanced aircraft and it's a shame that more don't "live on."  Like all of the WWII craft, they are very expen$ive to restore and operate and the P-61 with double the fuel required ... well, I wish them the best of luck!  It's too bad more folks won't pitch in to save some historical objects (and places) but they'll plunk down Lot$-O-Ca$h to pay some former gang member to play basket ball, or other "stars" who get those multi-gazillion dollar contracts.  There sure are some misplaced priorities these days.

:(
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2392 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
Are you attending the NCOWS convention?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2393 on: February 10, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Are you attending the NCOWS convention?

That's the plan, Pard.  However, Dart & I were going to travel together and then room together at the Convention  .  However, he has had something family related come up and can not go.  I can't drive by myself that distance.  If I can find someone to share the ride, I thing I could swing it, perhaps we could room together ... but the ride part is the deciding factor.

We will see what we will see.

(By the way, Litl' Jimmy, look on the Masonic area for a post I will be writing after I get off here.  It's about the honor I had this past weekend "raising" my Son into the fellowship of Free & Accepted Masons.)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2394 on: February 10, 2014, 07:42:34 PM »
SHB, I had gotten a post from Dave, telling me about it. I know how proud you were. I got a room at the Best Western, just down the road from the Ramada. You are welcome to bunk with me. I have a king size room reserved, but I should be able to change it to two beds. Let me know. We had leftover pot roast for supper.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2395 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
I got a PM from the Vintage Flight Museum. The Cavanaugh Museum of Flight is expanding their facility and need the hangar space occupied by "FIFI" and "Diamond Lil". The B29/B24 Squadron contacted the Vintage Flight Museum to arrange hangar space for the 2 aircraft for a couple of years or more. The folks at VFM agreed to house the 2 aircraft.  The VFM hangar is in fact a B-29 hangar. The B-24 will arrive first, and is due for its Annual.  I am extremely excited as well as the folks at the VFM about the two planes coming to Fort Worth.  When a new location for the CAF HQ is chosen,  new hangars will be constructed for both aircraft, and they will be t the new HQ location.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2396 on: March 02, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
Read an article in today's Rep that there's a B-17 being put together in Urbana,Ohio, which is in the Dayton area. This one is shooting at being flight certified,too :o :) Still in polished aluminum in the pic that was shown, but there's already nose art on it. IIRC, called Champaign Girl. Using scrounged parts,used parts, and in some cases,making new ones from blueprints out of the Smithsonian ::)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2397 on: March 02, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
I read that as well. I subscribe to a B-17 Blog and it was mentioned.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2398 on: March 02, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
Wonder which model they're doing? Hopefully not another G ::)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2399 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
Any model will be fine, just having another B-17 to attend air shows and for people to enjoy the greatest bomber of all time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com