Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774535 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #2220 on: May 31, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »
Pony, You are absolutely right - they are very quiet until they're PAST you!  And if you're the bad guy, it's too late and you'll likely NEVER hear them!  Our M1 tanks were the same way, surprisingly.  It's amazing that something SOOO big & heavy (nearly 70 tons and moving in excess of 40 mph) can fool you.  If you hear ANYTHING at all, it's probably the eerie squeaking/screeching of the tracks moving at high speed and it can sound like it's ALL AROUND you!  I've experienced it MANY times while on field problems when we had to dismount to simulate grunts.  (Infantry)  During many of those instances when Infantry guys have been with us on the same FTX (Field Training Exercise) they have remarked to us how fast we came up and over-ran them and how eerily quiet we were, especially at night.  They thought we had surrounded them.

Suffice to say, I'm sure glad they're on OUR side!!!  The A-10s, as WELL as  our Grunts!  Those Grunts can "sneak & peek" quietly very well, too!  A-10s really impress us Tankers!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2221 on: June 01, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
SHB should know, he  had lots of experience in the First Gulf War.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2222 on: June 01, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
Fortunately, I was on the CORRECT side with the A-10s!  They played Hell with the loser Iraqis!  Regular troops, Republican Guard ... no matter.   They were all targets and those A-10s made the best of it!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #2223 on: Today at 08:09:22 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2223 on: June 02, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Yepper!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2224 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »
Fortunately, I was on the CORRECT side with the A-10s!  They played Hell with the loser Iraqis!  Regular troops, Republican Guard ... no matter.   They were all targets and those A-10s made the best of it!

That A-10 Warthog is my personal favorite with that tank kill'n 30mm 7 bbl Gatling Cannon....too bad the gun's a General Electric product.... :-\  :-\  :-\

Have you folks seen this?
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2225 on: June 02, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »
Was here the other week:

Deliver'n this:

Seen this:

I know they're try'n but I hope the A-10 does not become a center piece of a flower bed.... :'(

;)

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2226 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
That's what you call piggy back, USAF style!  They should be able to fit at least 2 , nose to tail in that C5A.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2227 on: June 02, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
someday an A-10 will be planted next to a Flag pole. Till then I hope they have the life span of the B-52
Mathew 5.9

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2228 on: June 02, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
someday an A-10 will be planted next to a Flag pole. Till then I hope they have the life span of the B-52

Hear Hear!

8)  8)  8)  8)

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2229 on: June 02, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
Hear Hear!

8)  8)  8)  8)

btw that man hole is going to have a hard right turn
Mathew 5.9

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2230 on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
btw that man hole is going to have a hard right turn

RIGHT!   :o.....lol...I know what you mean...I just deliver that RCP stuff [reinforce concrete pipe] do not get to see much of it get buried...Hopefully it's at the top of the grade with a grated cover for the 100 year flood to breath!  It would be one heck of a plug at grade bottom....Pretty sure that there will be a bunch of blacktop for that 4' dia pipe to catch run-off.....first they're pulling a bunch of asbestos contaminated soil from that lot on the Air Force base....another cool thing to watch....45 foot side-dumps with condoms, people in "suits & full face respirators".... :D  :D

Got me wondering what was going on in that section of Buckley AFB as it's been an empty field (buffer zone) between the Base and John Q. Public for decades to have large patches of asbestos contamination.... ???

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2231 on: June 02, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
That A-10 Warthog is my personal favorite with that tank kill'n 30mm 7 bbl Gatling Cannon....too bad the gun's a General Electric product.... :-\  :-\  

Yeti, perhaps you can think of it this way:  Dr. Gatling, a Dentist from Indianapolis invented it.  GE just copies his design somewhat modernized.  Maybe Dillon Aero could work their magic on it like the did the Mini-Gun, also a GE product, if I'm not mistaken.  Works real good, now!

Altho' I haven't heard about problems with the 30mm GAU like I did the Mini-G.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2232 on: June 03, 2013, 01:15:40 AM »
We got the CH-21B in the Hangar this weekend. It had not been in a hangar in almost 50 years.  The restoration will begin shortly.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2233 on: June 03, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
.....first they're pulling a bunch of asbestos contaminated soil from that lot on the Air Force base....another cool thing to watch....45 foot side-dumps with condoms, people in "suits & full face respirators".... :D  :D

Got me wondering what was going on in that section of Buckley AFB as it's been an empty field (buffer zone) between the Base and John Q. Public for decades to have large patches of asbestos contamination.... ???

Since I was in the Air Force and spent much time on the Tarmacs I really don't want to know.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #2234 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
Brake dust and pieces of the brake material??
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2235 on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
I was around our garage and radiator shop till I was in college. I am guessing that  I will develop symptoms related to exposure to asbestos.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2236 on: June 04, 2013, 06:45:40 AM »
I figger I'm past 61, nearly 62 so I ain't gonna worry much about it.  I'll prob'ly kick the bucket long before that asbestos brake dust, asbestos tank heater insulation, and other asbestos-related crap develops into meso-whutthe-heckia.  I got enough issues right now that them sawbones couldn't tell iffn sumthin' new comes around.
 ;)

'Course, I'd rather NOT have them issues in the 1st place!

I haven't yet had a chance to fly in ever'thin' I wanted to!  If some AT-6 or an SNJ (Navy AT-6) comes to town to take rides an' I can shoehorn my fat arse into one of the seats, I'm gonna be sorely tempted!  (Or it could be a twin-control biplane like a Stearman, or maybe a Mosquito ... well, you know.)  I'm goin' UP!

I gave up on a ride in a twin-seat P-51 back about 17 or 18 YEARS ago when we were at one of the Kissimmee airports and they had "10-20 min." (guaranteed!) rides fer ONLY $1500!  A bit rich for my blood.  Or bloody pocketbook, as the case may be.

;D

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2237 on: June 04, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
I gave up on a ride in a twin-seat P-51 back about 17 or 18 YEARS ago when we were at one of the Kissimmee airports and they had "10-20 min." (guaranteed!) rides fer ONLY $1500!  A bit rich for my blood.  Or bloody pocketbook, as the case may be.

62 come the end of September mywonself. Certain items of walkin' scenery convinces me I was born too soon.

Thinkin' the price keeps the riff-raff out. Soon, the federals will decide that isn't fair 'n subsidize the experience for the needy. Similar to free electronics. We ain't the 'needy.'

For the askin' price of a thirty minute ride I can find 'n buy an old Smith, slick it up 'n ring a lot of steel with it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2238 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
Right, Arcey!

But I'd remember the ride long after (or until) the Smith gets traded, sold, or I pass.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2239 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:48 PM »
Hell, my memory'd probably rust before the gun does. Wish ya better luck.

I’m pretty sure I remember how to get a Cessna in the air. I know I can put it down. I have no idea what kinda shape it or me’ll be in after that. I remember gravity works from other activities.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com