Author Topic: Pocket Breaktops  (Read 65614 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Pocket Breaktops
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:35 PM »

My S&W Lemon squeezer is in 38 S&W, the 38 is much shorter than the 38 special, and not nearly as powerful, but it wasn't bad for the times, mine was made in 1886, and was owned by an old friend that's no longer with us, he told me his gun was a constant companion through the early 1900's, he was in his late seventy's when he gave it to me, I've never shot it but it is in good condition and surely could be. here is a picture of it, the holster is well over a hundred years old, but wasn't used that much, he usually carried it in a coat or pant pocket while he had it.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »
You gotta admit, though, there's a subtle attitude among some left-coasters that those of us in the "flyover" states are all shanty-dwelling, knuckle-dragging, backwoodsmen with no modern conveniences, education, sophistication or semblance of civilization. I know you know better, but I just can't resist the chance to poke a bit of fun at the pseudo-elite "coasties" when I get the chance.
[/quote]

I totally agree. I've been to both coasts, to CA and NY. The only thing they have that my city doesn't is high crime. I guess they also have stricter gun laws but I won't dig anyone with that. lol

I would love it if they did build a newer model of some of the S&W pocket pistols in modern, less expensive cals. I found a sweet little S&W .32 at Sheels here in Des Moines and it was $350.00. The only problem is it is .32 rim fire and the best price I could find for that round was $5.00 or more a round. A little to expensive for my pocket. It would be nice if you could find a new one made to fire .32 H&R or some other available cal.

Thanks. Rick.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »
Dave,

None taken, to be sure ... *S*

My little sister was a citizen of Japan and the US until her 21st Birthday, my youngest brother lost his French and American citizenship when he refused to join the French Army ...

In between I have lived near Seattle/Tachoma  (McChord AFB), Mount Holly NJ (McGuire AFB), Portsmoth NH (Pease AFB), Greenville SC (Donaldson AFB now closed and civilian), Ft Walton Beach (Egilin AFB) Fl, Belleville, IL (scott AFB IL; graduated from Western Military Academy Alton IL), Osan and Kunsan AFBs, Republic of Korea, Zaragoza AFB, Zaragoza Spain, King Khalid Military City, Saudi Arabia, and God knows how many TDY assignments ...

Oh yea, and seven years in the Reserves at Travis AFB Fairfield CA.

When I reached McClellan AFB (Sacramento CA) in '75, I looked at the location and said to myself, self, you are 45 minutes from the nearest ski slope but in a town that rarely sees snow, an hour from some of the best theater, opera and food in the world (not to mention a major sailing center), two hours from the painted desert, and a little over an hour to Late Tahoe.

And I said to myself, "Self, i think I will stay ...."*S*

I am so happy that you are happy where you are, cause I understand, i am so happy where I am there are ski slopes mountians  plains  Natl. forests and I can walk out my door with my pistol strapped on my belt or under my coat, with no problem at all. I have an entire gun safe full of semi-auto military look alikes and sporting style rifles.
All of that aside, the thing I am having trouble understanding is, why would your brother lose his American citizenship for refusing to join the FRENCH army????
Both of my brothers attended Western MA. I used to love to visit, crawl all over the display cannons and see the Commadant's wonderful gun collection.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:30:20 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
Doc Cuervo,

What a small world ... Western MA had a graduating classs of around a hundred ... I graduated in 1967 ...

And my brother was born on Toul-Rosieres AFB in France ... and since he was born there, had French and American Dual Citiizenshiip and privileges until he was eighteen ... but by turning down their 'kind offer' to join the French Army, he reneged his French citizenship ... and if he had joined up with the French Army, there was a very good chance he would lose his US citizenship .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
Ah hah! I see ;)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
I think the little pocket pistols are neat.  I picked up a nice 1889 S&W Lemon Squeezer with about 90% blue last gun show for under $200.

About 6 months ago Cabella's in Fort Worth had a M&H in 32 S&W new in the box with a  4 or 5 " barrel and a shorter barrel all matching #'s.  Way cool but I could not see 5K even NIB.  The box had a few condition issues.  Somebody finally bought it.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
Heres my little S&W Squeezer 1904  .38 S&W

AND I love this one too! althought it's not quite so small... WEBLEY .450 Metro Police 1884

amd then there is my .450 Belguim Constable

This one goes in the Overcoat
  I got Carried AWAY..and forgot we are talking about break tops........sorry

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 02:30:16 AM »
WV S,

Don't worry!  Great looking pocket pistols!  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
I am so chuffed!

My friend has just bought for me a 1889 S&W Fourth Dimension in .32 S&W ... so I get to use the same ammo as my little Remmie 1863 conversion ... and the ammo is available commmercially, or my friend reloads the cases for me .... looks like my first time to use is will be in October with the Texican Rangers ... another sweet thing to add to my vacation .... and it even came with a custom flapped antique holster ... I have been told not the same age as the pistol, but still it make is alot easier to carry ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
A few of my little "Gentleman's Pistols"
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »
Not so much "top breaks" as side winders! ;D

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
Grizz, your after my own heart..
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
I found a great little S&W pocket pistol in .32 rimfire. My only problem is I don't want to buy it if the prices I see for .32 rimfire are accurate. The best price I found is around $5.00 a bullet.

Anyone know of a more resonable price on this ammo?

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
Gents,

Here be my little darlins:

Regards, John.
Captain John Jarrett

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »
And my holster for the MH
Captain John Jarrett

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
While we're showing off Merwin Hulberts, here's my 7-shot in .32 on the .38 frame.  ;D  Now I need a large frame in .44 Russian to go with it.

Meh, break tops, front sliders, same diff.  :P

I have a couple of Forehand & Wadsworth break tops.  Around here they tend to go for cheap because they are mostly 12(6) class (prohibited) handguns.  You have had to be grandfathered in to own one.  Prior 15-Feb-96 iffen I recall correct like.  At least anything prior 1946 can be classed 12(7) relic and passed on to an immediate blood relative.  You folks don't want to know what happens to the rest of them upon a 12(6) holder's demise if a new home can't be found for said guns in a "reasonable" amount of time.  Wonder how much trouble it would be to buy some of these up for export to the U.S.?    

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
Does any one have a recipe for a .38 S&W suitable for the breaktops?  Everything I see in the loading manuals says for "solid frame only"

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »
Yup!!  A case full of FFFg!  ::)  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
Yep, full case of 2F or 3F and a 125gr 9mm lead bullet works for mine.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
I use 146 grain lead 9mm bullet over .7 cc dipper of APP.  Shoots great in my .38 S & Ws.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com