Author Topic: Pocket Breaktops  (Read 65747 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pocket Breaktops
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »
I wish someone would start making clones of the little breaktops that were so popular in the late 1800s early 1900s. I often carried a little breaktop in my pocket when I rode horses. A little .38 S&W would be a handy gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Pocket Breaktops
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
I agree. I would even like one if they lengthened the cylinder just enough for a 38 colt or special. But, I do like my 38 S&W too.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »
Shotgun, there are so many break tops still around for 60 or 80 bucks including the .38 S&W safety hammerless's I doubt if they could compete... some are sweet little guns, mostly from bedside tables, but the cartridges are still weak.  I use them for SASS pocket pistol stuff - get 'em now!  ::)

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:48:11 PM »

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »
The cheapest "nice" one I have seen at the last years worth of gun shows has been 150+. There was a nice Hopkins with the original box for 200, but I just couldnt see paying that much for a box...

DM (who is still looking for another cheap Merwin .38) ::)
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »
There is a member of our club who specializes in buying and selling the old S&W Top Break Pocket Pistols

He says to plan on between $500& $600 t0 buy a tight one with most of its bluing or nickel still extant ... even taking out what I guess his 'commision' to be, I think I would still be looking at $300 to $450 for a similar weapon (of course not counting the time that would be lost going to gun shows & such .... and yes I  know that gun show time is never 'lost time' .... *S*).
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »
I suspect your're having to deal with the much-higher-than-they're-worth California gun pricing system.

You should be able to find 'good' top-break S&Ws for a lot less - say the $225-$275 range, or so.

They were made in profusion - as were many other quality weapons - and they're still residing in drawers.

They're easy to clean - parts abound - and because they weren't shot often (if at all) they're still tight and accurate.

By the way - polishing a nickel-plated one with 0000 steel wool and 'Simichrome' or 'Wenol' polishing compound 'will' brighten up the somewhat 'tired' appearance that older plating can get - yet it won't flake the plated surface, and thoroughly cleaning one is very straightforward, and well within your capabilities, so don't be afraid to try - just go slowly.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
St George ...

Thanks for the good thoughts ....

And you are verty right about the cost of things in California ... I  could take the equity in my house (about 50%) and buy outright a house  in many states ... but I have come to like things like sidewalks and streetlamps ... which are often not present when someone buys a house in another state.

Then again, as guns go, this person is in a position at a gunsmith's shop, and in a spot where he can pick and choose, and I would expect to get a very good gun out of the sale ... or I could buy one on my own, and spend an equal amount to the 'cheap' cost in gunsmithing fees for something that I did not know to look for ... so I guess it all evens out.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »

I have come to like things like sidewalks and streetlamps ... which are often not present when someone buys a house in another state.

Oh, I dunno, WW, you might be surprised. Why, lord a-mighty, some of us in the "rest" of the country even have electricity and running water!

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
Yeah Dave. Heck, we is gettin our cowpath paved just this next week!
DM ;)
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »

Good heavens, Dalton, what will they think of next?!

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Hump, I have 3 times more neighbors and the blacktop is within 1 mile of my house. Not what I wanted when I moved out here.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
Touche ....

But I have grown accustomed to my house ... and with a bum knee it helps that everything is within a block of my house ... and it certainly helps the fixed budget that I can walk or ride a bicycle to almost anywhere I need to go to ... and since I have about 50% equity paid off,  it will remain my home for the rest of my life ... they will probably find my body here when that time comes ....

My parents used to live in a very upscale neighborhood in South Carolina ... except that if it had rained in the last day, one could count on muddy sides of the street if one ever (heavens above!) walked anywhere  ... and at night, if there was no moon to guide the way one had best have a flashlite ...

So I guess I am a little spoiled ...

But enough about houses and real estate ... I really enjoyed St George's thoughts on top breaks and hope to replace my pocket pistol with one in the future ... maybe a christmas present to my self? *S*

And my knowledge is from shooting one and a little history ... I really like the fact that people are writing about their experiences with them .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »

Good heavens, Dalton, what will they think of next?!

A bankrupt state. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
Del:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WW:
Heck, pard, no offense taken. Just funnin' you a bit.

You gotta admit, though, there's a subtle attitude among some left-coasters that those of us in the "flyover" states are all shanty-dwelling, knuckle-dragging, backwoodsmen with no modern conveniences, education, sophistication or semblance of civilization. I know you know better, but I just can't resist the chance to poke a bit of fun at the pseudo-elite "coasties" when I get the chance.

FWIW, our closest town has a population of almost 20,000...and sidewalks...and streetlights. (Just for the record). ;)

BTW, I agree that the pocket pistol field is fascinating and extremely broad. Just wish I could afford all the ones I'd like to have.
Later, pard.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »
Dave,

None taken, to be sure ... *S*

My little sister was a citizen of Japan and the US until her 21st Birthday, my youngest brother lost his French and American citizenship when he refused to join the French Army ...

In between I have lived near Seattle/Tachoma  (McChord AFB), Mount Holly NJ (McGuire AFB), Portsmoth NH (Pease AFB), Greenville SC (Donaldson AFB now closed and civilian), Ft Walton Beach (Egilin AFB) Fl, Belleville, IL (scott AFB IL; graduated from Western Military Academy Alton IL), Osan and Kunsan AFBs, Republic of Korea, Zaragoza AFB, Zaragoza Spain, King Khalid Military City, Saudi Arabia, and God knows how many TDY assignments ...

Oh yea, and seven years in the Reserves at Travis AFB Fairfield CA.

When I reached McClellan AFB (Sacramento CA) in '75, I looked at the location and said to myself, self, you are 45 minutes from the nearest ski slope but in a town that rarely sees snow, an hour from some of the best theater, opera and food in the world (not to mention a major sailing center), two hours from the painted desert, and a little over an hour to Late Tahoe.

And I said to myself, "Self, i think I will stay ...."*S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:43 AM »
But back to pocket Pistols ...

I see  some of the 'lemon squeezers' listed as .38 ... I am guessing that is not .38 special ...
Is the .38 for the lsqueezers an easier to find thatn .32 S&W short?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 12:12:47 AM »
Wadd,
Most are 38 S&W SHORT. There is also a long, and dimensionally, they are a fatter case than 38 Specials. There could also be some rimfire 38s out there too amongst the treasures.

I just looked through my little pile of pocket pistols, and I actually have almost 10 of them now, and didnt realize it. Most of them are nonfunctional now, as I use them for holster making, but I do have a little Bulldog in 38, and a longer barreled Hopkins that I have the intentions of fixing up one day.
You might look at the little Hopkins and Allen pistols. I have a little 32 Hammerless that is a great little gun. They are pretty reasonable, even for a nice one.
The other thing to find, if you have the money, is a Merwin Hulbert .38. That is my main pocket pistol for SASS, and its very smooth. I just had to have the springs rebuilt in it tho. Cant wait to shoot it and see how it is now.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
I wish someone would start making clones of the little breaktops that were so popular in the late 1800s early 1900s. I often carried a little breaktop in my pocket when I rode horses. A little .38 S&W would be a handy gun.

This shop does restorations.  They sell some beautiful guns, but take a swig of Maalox before you look at the prices:

http://web.me.com/mobguns/Mobguns/Heavy_Metal_-_Rods_&_Heaters/Heavy_Metal_-_Rods_&_Heaters.html
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
This shop does restorations.  They sell some beautiful guns, but take a swig of Maalox before you look at the prices:
http://web.me.com/mobguns/Mobguns/Heavy_Metal_-_Rods_&_Heaters/Heavy_Metal_-_Rods_&_Heaters.html

AMEN!

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
Gulp!

And I thought what I was willing to pay was exhorbitant ... LOL

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com