Author Topic: "It Never Rains in California..."  (Read 13249 times)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"It Never Rains in California..."
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
Whoever wrote that song oughta be here in SoCal right now.  It has rained pretty constantly since Monday night, and sometimes it came down really hard.  Not what usually passes for hard rain here, but real gully-washing, frog-strangling hard.  In fact, I just heard something that one almost NEVER hears here -- thunder.  They've also issued a high wind warning, anticipating gusts of up to 60 mph.

I'm no stranger to weather like this, having grown up along the central Gulf Coast.  Actually, compared to that, this weather ain't half bad and I'm not complaining about IT.  I'm just getting really tired of being cooped up here at Casa Nighteyes.  Most SoCal residents don't know how to drive in the rain, so going out onto the streets and freeways is taking a pretty big gamble.  Thanks to TiVo and Netflix I've watched six movies from start to finish (Full Metal Jacket, Terminator 2, Runaway, Band of the Hand, The Rocketeer and Men In Black).  I'm anticipating a cowboy movie marathon today.

The forecast calls for more rain tomorrow and Friday, followed by a pleasant sunny weekend.  Got my fingers crossed.

[Turning off rant, kicking soap box into the corner.]

-- Daniel (Cabin Fever) Nighteyes

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "It Never Rains in California..."
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
Rocketeer and MIB are two of my favorite movies.

Sat on the patio out of the weather and watched my neighbor working in his yard.  He's building an ark.....and nobody's laughing at him.

I reserved a dozen berths just in case.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
4-T-Rod, I think you might like Band of the Hand, or at least the first half of it.  Its a Paul Michael Glaser film from 1986, with a lot of no-name-at-the-time actors in it (Lawrence Fishburne and Stephen Lang, to name two).  The theme song ("Its Hell Time Man") was composed and performed by none other than Bob Dylan.

The sound track also includes "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister, which went on to reach #1 on the American Top 40.

In other words, I think its a sleeper -- at least, a good part of it is.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:10:33 PM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
If it gets real clear this weekend with all the snow we've had the sierras should look spectacular! :) :)The man up stairs is like an artist workin behind a cutain,he swoops open the curtain and says' "let's see ya do this" :o :) :) :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »
Here's a better look at the opening scenes and credits of Band of the Hand, complete with Bob Dylan theme song.  It gives you a good idea of SOME of the characters, but what happens from here through the halfway point is something ya gotta see for yourself.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXX-JJbYjHQ&feature=quicklist

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »
Here's a better look at the opening scenes and credits of Band of the Hand, complete with Bob Dylan theme song.  It gives you a good idea of SOME of the characters, but what happens from here through the halfway point is something ya gotta see for yourself.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXX-JJbYjHQ&feature=quicklist

Can't understand a word he's singing.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Can't understand a word he's singing.

So you could understand the words in his earlier songs? ;)

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »
Whoever wrote that song oughta be here in SoCal right now.  It has rained pretty constantly since Monday night, and sometimes it came down really hard.  Not what usually passes for hard rain here, but real gully-washing, frog-strangling hard.  In fact, I just heard something that one almost NEVER hears here -- thunder.  They've also issued a high wind warning, anticipating gusts of up to 60 mph.

I'm no stranger to weather like this, having grown up along the central Gulf Coast.  Actually, compared to that, this weather ain't half bad and I'm not complaining about IT.  I'm just getting really tired of being cooped up here at Casa Nighteyes.  Most SoCal residents don't know how to drive in the rain, so going out onto the streets and freeways is taking a pretty big gamble.  Thanks to TiVo and Netflix I've watched six movies from start to finish (Full Metal Jacket, Terminator 2, Runaway, Band of the Hand, The Rocketeer and Men In Black).  I'm anticipating a cowboy movie marathon today.

The forecast calls for more rain tomorrow and Friday, followed by a pleasant sunny weekend.  Got my fingers crossed.

[Turning off rant, kicking soap box into the corner.]

-- Daniel (Cabin Fever) Nighteyes

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »

It's raining like CRAZY here in Northridge, California, it even went past the cats and dogs level  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ::) :o
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
I seen the weather channel this morning, and they said you all was gettin hit hard with storms. Heard there was some flooding in areas. You all doin OK??

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
glubble lubble gubble,one,,wuggle glubble flubble,two,swaloglubble flabble thr :-X
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »
So you could understand the words in his earlier songs? ;)

Dunno.  I never listened to him.

Heard trout have been spotted at Lytle Creek wearing SCUBA gear.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
A coment from work earlier today:

"If it ain't closed, It's R2 Chain control from here ;D"

If you did not have GOOD Mud and snow tires and 4x4, then you had to put iron on, except going north on 5, then just park it 8).

TOO many idjuts loosing it in the white-out conditions to leave the freeway open.

Modoc who is now home from the Caltrans office
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
Heard trout have been spotted at Lytle Creek wearing SCUBA gear.

Yesterday morning my Scrub Jays were all wearing galoshes and carrying umbrellas.  It was too windy to fly...

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »
I just saw three smelt rowing an inflatable :o :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
I just fitted a snorkel to my chimminey! ::)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
I always felt that storing my kayak on top of my car was kinda silly ... but with the present weather and Sacramento being 14 feet above sea level (with 20 feet of levees that just might contain all this runoff), it is beginning to make alot more sense ... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

We got hammered again today, with more coming in, it did stop long enough for me to take the trash out, it hasn't been that bad for us, we're staying in, the cats have been playing until they tire them selves out and then the long naps, Kider our orange tabby, will come sit on my mouse until I give her a treat, she always manages to do this a bad time, she gets things so messed up on the PC, that I some times have to regroup and start over. Any one know when the next Ventura Gun Show is? ???

Stay dry and warm pards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
I just saw a kayak go by with a car under it :-\ some feller in it hollerin NORTH BY GOD NORTH!!!!!!! >:( >:( :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Went to lunch with a widow of an old friend and then to the grocery for hamburger.  Rained like a herd of triple peckered horses peeing on a flat rock the whole time. Passed a chollo going 15 mph and he decided he was Mario Andretti and tried to keep me from moving back over, so I ran him off the road rather than kiss a power and light truck head on.  He followed me for a couple of miles until I turned into the Police Dept parking lot.

All in all, not a great day, but then again.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com