Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 108027 times)

1stSgt Fritz King

Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2006, 07:16:44 PM »
Fritz ran to Buddy, and pulled the '66 from the coatstraps.   He turned back towards his companions.  Fighting with thier backs to the gun, were a Marshal, an Indian, and his fiance. 

To anyone else, this would be a strange sight.

Fritz noticed his Trapdoor still swung from its sling.  He threw the '66 to 'Sleep, who caught it one-handed.  Fritz dropped to a knee and reloaded.  That's when he saw the cassion. 

"Cover me!" he yelled, sprinting over.  He grabbed another cannister round and headed back.   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2006, 08:29:09 PM »
Fritz was covered before he said anything. It was obvious Scarlet and Grey Eagle had fought side by side before, probably more than once from the way they worked together and the quickness he adapted to working with the three of them.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »
There was no time.

If Fritz tried to reload the howitzer, he'd be an easy target.  If the posse laid down their guns to help move the piece, they'd be dead.

There was only one option. 

He looked at Grey Eagle and nodded, knowing somehow he'd understand.  Using all his strength, he threw the cannister towards the Albino and his surviving outlaws.  Grey Eagle followed its arc with the '66.

Fritz dove to the ground, knocking Scarlet and 'Sleep over.  Grey Eagle pulled the trigger, detonating the black powder charge at it's base.  Without a gun barrel to channel the charge, the cannister exploded, sending shrapnel in all directions.  Fritz covered Scarlet with his body.  He winced as a ball creased his shoulder.  Lead pelted the ground like raindrops.

Scarlet yelled over the din, "hanging around with you might be hazardous to my health!"

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 01:50:30 PM »

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2006, 07:02:31 PM »
Catching the Yellowboy that Fritz threw just as his was emptied Tensleep began to pick targets. Men fell and the scream of horses being spurred and spattered by lead fragments was heard as smoke started to cloud the field. Tensleep dropped behind a log and shoved cartridges into the rifle.

The marshal popped up over the log and once again looked for targets under the smoke.

"Damn ol' son, you sure keep things exciting." Tensleep was grinning.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
Even though the chill of death seemed to cover the ground there was no silence this time. The screams and the pounding of retreating hoof beats from horsemen that had barely escaped the blast could be heard.

Scarlet jumped hearing the distant sound of what she knew was the Comanche war cry.
Looking towards Grey Eagle she saw him smiling, pleased with him self, even though his arm and face were bleeding.

Scarlet had felt him wince and knew he’d been hit.

“That hit you took, is it something I’ll be able to tend to or am I gonna have to ride like hell for Ella?” She whispered to Fritz.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2006, 11:52:59 PM »
"Hurts like hell," Fritz replied, "but you'd better check it."  He smiled at his fiance.  "Besides, Ella will get mad at me for being broken again!"

Scarlet gave that grin he loved so much.  "Shall I tend it now, or do you want to find out what Grey Eagle has in store for our Albino friend?"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »
She had asked but she decided not to wait for an answer. As long as she could hear the outlaws being otherwise occupied she would take advantage of the moment.

Scarlet made her way to the horses and retrieved the medical kit she carried along with the flask stopping to look at Grey Eagle on her way back.

He had suffered scratches from shrapnel. She splashed some of the clear liquid from the flask onto a rag and handed it to him. Grey Eagle sniffed at the rag then narrowed his eyes at her. “You trying to kill me with panther piss?”

Scarlet chuckled. “You’re tougher than that, and it’s panthers breath. Don’t let Johnny hear ya referrin’ to his whisky as piss. That there is some of his finest corn liquor. ”

Grey Eagle snorted than began to wipe the scratches on his face. The burning sensations caused him to grit his teeth.

“You ok Marshal?” Scarlet asked as she walked by.

“Just a scratch.” He replied.

She tilted her head and looked at the dark spot of blood on his pants leg. “I’ll be back to look at that.”

Scarlet next to Fritz. “Take off your shirt Sugar.” She said softly.

He grinned wickedly at her, his eyes sparkling. The playful side of him showing through for a moment, the side of him many people didn’t see that she loved so much.

Scarlet remembered when Becca had first met him. She made the comment he was sweet, polite and handsome but after hearing about how wild Scarlet’s first husband could be and knowing that Scarlet had hated the stuffy side of Scott Hart. She had to wonder what Scarlet saw in a man so disciplined. Scarlet had simply smiled and told her to give him a chance and get to know him. The disciplined side, as Becca had put it, eases when he gets to know a person.

She smirked knowing he was about to come back with some type of comment. “Oh I doubt you’re gonna like this much.” She said before he had a chance.

Scarlet checked the wound. What ever had hit him had left a grove across his shoulder, but it had not hit the bone and had not stuck. “You’re lucky. I’m not going to have to find Ella and I’m not going to have to dig anything out, but this is gonna hurt.” She pressed the alcohol soaked rag to his wound. She removed the rag and blew softly on his shoulder trying to relieve the burn she knew it caused.

Grey Eagle looked at him. “She tries to kill us both.”

Scarlet was watching Tensleep, he wasn’t looking so good in her opinion.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »
Standing Fritz's Yellowboy against the log Tensleep picked up his own. Shucking shells from his belt he began to reload the rifle. Reaching behind him to his belt suddenly his leg buckled and the buttplate of the rifle hit the ground supporting him for a moment before he slid down to lay across the log.

"AW HELL" he moaned as he passed out.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »
Ella had been operating like a clockwork figure for most of the past two days, running on training and instint, tending wounds with her hands without much conscious thought. 

The bath helped her start to feel human again.  The herbed mist rising from the tub was soothing her spirit while the hot water eased muscles she had overworked without realization.   Before the relaxation put her to sleep, she dried off and dressed in a light wash dress, then headed for bed. 

She thought she was too tired for dreams or nightmares to disturb her sleep before suppertime.

Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »
"Take care of him," Fritz said.  "I'm good."

Scarlet went to work on 'Sleep's pantleg with her knife.  Fritz tore the sleeves off his shirt, tearing them into strips.  He took one for himself, and passed the rest to Scarlet.

"Is he okay?"

"He's lost some blood...hopefully not too much."

Fritz tied off the bandage on his shoulder, and slipped his sack coat back on.  The cavalry Colt was still empty.  He transferred the short-barreled Colt to the holster, and put the big pistol in his saddlebag.

He asked "Is there anything I can do?"

"Nope...give me room to work."

Fritz picked up his '66, handing it to Grey Eagle.

"Watch over her," he said.

Grey Eagle took the carbine.  "I will.  Bring honor to your name."

Fritz chambered a round in the Springfield, and mounted Buddy.

"Be careful," Scarlet said.

"I will."  Fritz wheeled and follwed the Albino. 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »
Scarlet glanced up from what she was doing at Grey Eagle.

He’d known this woman for most of his life; he knew she could hide what she was thinking from just about anybody or she could convey her exact thoughts in just a look. 
The look of disapproval she was giving him now was unmistakable.

“You afraid the ghost will take his life?” Grey Eagle asked.

“No.” Scarlet said looking back at Tensleep’s leg. She slipped her hand around to the back of his thigh and began to feel for an exit wound.

“He good warrior.”  Grey Eagle stated.

Scarlet could feel the exit hole with her finger. Relieved she stood and retrieved her saddle bags and canteen. She looked at Grey Eagle as she set them down next to Tensleep.

“Do your warriors know him? They know me on site as mine know you. But what will your warriors see in the setting sun while they are already in the heat of battle with nobody there to tell them different?”

Grey Eagle held the rifle towards her. Scarlet shook her head no. “I can use the Marshal’s or one of the others.”

Grey Eagle motioned her to take it again. Scarlet took the rifle the second time and set it next to her saddlebags.

“I take this.” He picked up the rifle he’d been using before along with ammunition from another man. Scarlet knew he intended to keep it. Then he picked up the reins of one of the stray horses that had come to a stop next to Lucky and Buck, mounted up and disappeared into the shadows. Scarlet half smiled, she knew he’d keep that too. 

Scarlet was glad ‘Sleep had passed out. It made her job easier not having to worry about causing him more pain as she flushed the wound with water. The bullet had missed the bone and major arteries and veins as far as she could tell and had stopped bleeding. She hoped it had bleed enough to get out anything that would cause infection as the alcohol she carried only caused things to bleed more. Scarlet then took a small jar from her saddlebags that held a wet mixture of crushed roots and herbs. She losely packed the wound with the mixture then wrapped the bandages around it.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »
Rose walked through the medical wing. She’d never thought she’d see all the beds full, and cots too, when they built it. She was used to hearing men grumble about one thing or another but she stopped short when she heard one say “Bring me my gun so I can kill those two Indians.”

“You must be Andrews.” Rose said.

“Yes ma’am.” He replied.

“Let me tell you something Andrews.” Rose’s voice was even as she stated a fact. “You are a guest on the Southern Starr. As a guest I expect nothing but impeccable manners from you.”

He noted the coldness in her eyes as she looked down at him.

“You ever killed a man Missus?”

“You go home and ask you’re Colonel what he knows of the women who live at the Southern Starr. The rumors I’ve heard are true.” She took two steps then stopped again. “You will not raise a gun to anyone who is a guest here Andrews.”

Rose stopped next to one of the other soldiers who had not said much since they had arrived. Andrews noted a completely different tone when she spoke to him.

“Is there anything I can get for you?” She asked kindly.

“No ma’am. Just happy that other lady knew what she was doing, I have not seen her since she worked on me last night. Would you thank her for me?”

Rose dabbed the man’s forehead with a cool rag. “Her name is Ella, she will be around later. You thank her when you see her.”

“Thank you ma’am.” He replied.

It’s the person inside not the clothes they wear she thought as she continued around the room. Rose could remember treating soldiers that came through, killing some too.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:48 PM »
Fritz rode hard.  He heard the war cries and gunfire.  The fires slackened.  He topped the rise and looked below.  A scene of slaughter met his eyes.

The war party was brutally efficient.  Men were shot from horseback by a variety of weapons, and finished at close quarters.  Hand to hand combat was a Comanche specialty.  Bodies were stripped of anything useful.  Scalp knives ran red.

In the middle of a ring of twelve braves was a single man.  He’d lost his hat, and the shock of white hair blew wildly in the breeze.  He fired two pistols as rapidly as possible.  The warriors were waiting for the kill.

“How do I say it?” Fritz thought.  Hoping his pronunciation was good, he yelled out

“EI-YAH!!!”

The Comanche stopped firing, and stared at the rider coming in.  Some recognized Fritz, and his Comanche name was spoken.  The Albino looked at his savior.

Fritz dismounted, handing Buddy’s reins to the closest man.  Looking to the Albino, he said one word…

“RELOAD.”

The Albino holstered one pistol, and ejected shells from the other.  Fritz noted the rig he wore had two Slim Jims, with butts forward.  At least they both had cross-draws.

“Who are you?”

Fritz popped the flap on his holster.  “I’m an horse soldier.  A First Sergeant.  And now, you’re gonna pay for the soldiers you killed.”

The Albino dropped his Colt into the well-worn rig.  “You think you can take me?”  His voice was steady, but there was doubt in his eyes…or was it fear?

“Only one way to find out,” Fritz replied, twisting his right hand.  His left lay at his beltline.

He saw movement, the Albino’s right hand going for a twist draw.  Fritz pulled the flap with his right hand, drawing the short-barreled Colt with his left.  Three inches of barrel cleared leather quicker than seven inches did.  As soon as he was on target, Fritz pulled the trigger.  The shot caught the Albino in the right shoulder, spinning him violently.  His Colt flew away as he fell, blood spurting from his wound.

Fritz instinctively cocked the hammer as walked forward, ready for a second shot.  None was needed. 

His skin could get no whiter.  The Albino spat through gritted teeth.  “Bastard...you win.  Take me in now.”

Fritz lowered the hammer and holstered his pistol.

“Take you in?” he asked.  “I said you were gonna pay.”  Fritz smiled.  “I leave you to the paymasters.”

He looked to the warriors, pointed towards the supine man, and turned away.

The screams were incredible.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2006, 09:58:53 PM »
Co-written by Scarlet Angel and Tensleep 

As Scarlet tended him he grabbed her hand. "Oh Becca......"

If he had not been her friend she would have stuffed her finger in the wound.

"It's Scarlet Tensleep. Let me go." She said looking at him a little surprised.

"No Becca, no... I need you with me." His moans told her he was really out of it.

"Ah crap." She mumbled while pushed hard against his chest trying to pull away.

"Ross it's Scarlet. Let me go." She said louder.

"Becca, my Becca..." He pulled her hard against him. "Becca... don't leave me Becca, I love you!"

Scarlet had to wonder what kinda dreams he was having. None the less it was time to change tactics.

"I won't leave you John." She whispered as she tried to think of her next move.

"Becca, kiss me Becca, please kiss me again before I die."

"You better not die and leave me out here alone John. There's outlaws out there that mean to take me away if we don't defend ourselves." Scarlet said thinking next time she'd make sure to tie whoever she was working on up even if they looked harmless.

"I won't leave you Becca if I can help it." Tensleep groaned. "My Becca, my love." He held her tight to him.

"You better not leave me John, but you have to let me up. You're hurt and I have to keep the outlaws away." Scarlet said thinking somebody owed her big for being nice, she just wasn't sure who.

"Take my rifle Becca but stay close... Becca........." Tensleep passed out again.

Scarlet was out of his reach the second he started to relax. She leaned up against a rock and looked at him wondering if he was starting in on a fever that was making him delirious or was he just dreaming. After a moment she picked up her saddlebags and medical kit, put everything back where it belonged and began to listen to the sounds around them.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »
Fritz headed back.  He'd hoped the Comanche had wiped out any remaining stragglers.  But he had to make sure she was okay.  He came down into the valley...

...and saw Scarlet in 'Sleep's embrace.

"Okay," Fritz thought.  "There's gotta be a good reason for this."

'Sleep laid back down, and Scarlet picked up her traps.  She heard Buddy's hoofbeats and turned.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2006, 03:58:23 PM »
As the marshal fell across the log his mind flashed to Rebecca. She had rushed to his side and was kneeling to tend him. As she knelt, he moaned "Oh Becca...."

His first thought was that he was dying before he had married the woman he loved. He reached for her. His mind was inflamed with thoughts of his love. He had to tell her.

After Scarlet had stood she heard him calling. "Rebecca, Rebecca I love you, I love........"

In his mind he heard the hoofbeats and as Fritz dismounted Tensleep tried to rise. "Run Rebecca, RUN!!! Don't let them take you!" and he fell back.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »
Scarlet had thought about replying to Tensleep telling Becca he loved her, it would have put his mind at ease, maybe.

"Becca loves you too John." She said.

Hearing the hoof beats she turned, happy and relieved to see Fritz. The look on his face concerned her, she was about to ask him if everything was alright when Tensleep tried to stand.

Scarlet’s first fear was that he’d try and draw his pistol thinking Fritz was an outlaw but he fell back instead. With that thought she swiftly moved behind him, catching him just before he hit the ground.

“It’s a friend John. It’s alright.” She said wrapping her arms around him and holding his hands tight so he couldn’t draw his pistols. She had thought about jerking the pistols from their holsters but figured that would cause a violent reaction.

Fritz could see by the look on her face as she glanced at him Scarlet was somewhat unnerved by what was going on.

“Are you ok?” She asked him.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
Fritz dismounted, trailing the reins.

"Uh...yeah...How are you?"

"He was feverish," Scarlet replied.  "Sleep must've thought I was Becca."

Fritz picked up 'Sleep's carbine and reloaded it.  He slipped it back into thw scabbard, and led 'Sleep's horse to the gun carriage.

"If you're not still busy there," Fritz said, "I could use a hand harnessing the gun and the cassion."

He kept his head down.  For some reason, his face was flushed.

"Darlin'..." Scarlet began.  "You okay?"

Fritz busied his hands with the tack.  "Yeah...sure I am."

She smiled her wicked grin.  "Why Fritz King...you're JEALOUS!"

He looked back, geniunely shocked.  "No I'm not!  It's just that...well..."

Scarlet put her hand on his face it was warm.

"He was delerious Darlin'...he didn't want to die without telling Becca he loved her."

"He's not dying, is he?"

"No..."

Fritz touched her lips.

"Remind me to NEVER stop telling you." 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2006, 09:46:43 PM »
She smiled lovingly at him, took his hand in hers and kissed him softly.

“My heart belongs only to you.” She whispered before stepping back. “He’s not going to die, but I don’t think moving him to soon is a good idea. If it’s not safe here we’ll have to figure something out.”

Fritz looked out into what was now the darkness. Scarlet knew he was thinking of something she just wasn’t sure what.

“If we need to go we better get busy and get outta here, if we’re gonna stay we should give these horses a break and unsaddle them.” She said.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
Neither idea had much appeal for him.  Fritz didn't like leaving the gun out any longer than necessary.  If they moved tonight, they'd have to travel slowly.  Buddy was pretty worn out.  Adding the weight of the gun and cassion would make matters worse.  They'd have to rig a travois for 'Sleep...a bumpy ride at best...at worst, a bone-jarring journey.

Then he heard it on the winds...

"Recall...?"

"What Honey?"

Fritz put his finger to his lips.  "Listen..."

The trumpet call repeated, louder than before.

"It's a Patrol!"

Eight troopers in column of twos came over the ridge.  At the lead was a young Corporal; to his left and rear was a trumpter.

Fritz waived.  "Corporal Willis!  Over here!"

The patrol obliqued to the left and came to a halt.  Willis saluted. 

"That's not necessary Corporal," Fritz said.  "I'm just a Sergeant...an NCO like you."

"I know First Sergeant," Willis said.  "But that's not why I did it."

Fritz returned the courtesy.

"Colonel Troutman sends his compliments."  Willis eyed the howitzer.  "I see you did what you set out to do."

Fritz sighed.  "Yep...but at a cost.  We've got a wounded man...and our horses are done in."

Two troopers came forward, and unhooked Buddy and 'Sleeps mount from the traces. 

Willis replied, "We'll rig a canvas between the carriage and the cassion.  Your marshal should be okay 'till we get to the fort."

Fritz looked to the boy's sleeves.  "You wear those new stripes well."       

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com