Author Topic: Sites for the Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block (Silhouette Model)  (Read 29250 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Y'all,

I just bought a Pedersoli Silhouette Model (scroll down http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_60/rifles-rolling-block.html). I bought this model because it comes with inexpensive open iron sites.

I plan to install a # 103 Long Range Buffalo rear site (a Soule style site with88 MOA in windage) and a non-adjustable #113 Sharpes Low Profile withSpirit level.

This is my first (and probably only) buffalo rifle, and I would appreciate any thoughts from any member on this site concerning my choices for sites.

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Sites for the Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block (Silhouette Model)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
Sounds like good choice , assuming those are MVA numbers...
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:50:50 AM »
I also sent an email to MVA asking about the front site .... they had already suggested the #103 in a previous email ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
You had me confused...I thought you were asking about a site instead of a sight...

I think you're heading in the right direction with your choice...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Jayhawker,

I know what your mean about sight and site ...I mean, even people who sell them often blend the two terns ....

And the direction that I believe I am heading is towards the poorhouse ... first it was the cost of the gun ... then the cost of sites  ... and now I must find a way to get 'cheaper' .45-70 ammo  ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
Either the MVA #100 or #103 Soule sights will do nicely for you. I would suggest getting the Hadley eyecup, though. The #113 front sight wil do well, too. Here are a few more sight sites to totally confuse the issue for you.

Baldwin Sights   www.baldwin-sights.com
Hoke Long Range ph: (717) 848-4276 or kshoke@comcast.net
Jeff’s Oufitters   www.jeffsoutfitters.com
Lee Shaver   www.egunsmith.com
Montana Vintage Arms   www.montanavintagearms.com
Pedersoli   www.davide-pedersoli.com
Red River Sights (formerly Parts Unknown)   red.river.a.a.p@mts.net (e-mail, no website)

I have the long range Soule sights from Parts Unknown (now Red River Sights) on both my Shiloh Sharps and my Rolling Block. The RB has the front spirit level globe sight and the Sharps has the windage adjustable front spirit level globe sight - both from Parts Unknown.

As far as getting "cheap" ammo to feed your new RB - get set up to cast your own bullets and load your own rounds, with REAL BP. Once I got set up to do that, I could (and still can) load 100 rounds for less than $20. Can't buy ammo for anywhere near that.

I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »
Otter,

It is always a great experience when you chime in with your thoughts .... This weekend is going to be really crazy, but I have put it on my calendar to check thos sites on Sunday ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I'd have to put in another vote for Montana Vintage Arms.  J.C. and his crew put out a top-notch product.  I own 3 full sets of his sights and will buy more if the need arises.  When I had him modify a base for an unusual rifle, he happily did so and was willing to keep trying until what I had worked.  The other offerings in their catalogue are superb products as well.

My take on some of the other suggestions.
Baldwin - same price as MVA, only seen one, but they look pretty good.
Jeff's Outfitters -  Really low price.  Until I see one, I'd say there HAS to be a reason.  It MIGHT be worth the chance.
Shaver - Have never seen one, but they do have a following.
Pedersoli - Junk, heavy, clunky, not even worth the price of scrap.
Red River - The quality is hit and miss.  Seen more lesser quality ones then higher quality.  $100 cheaper then MVA, but lacking $300 in quality.  Most of their users have buyers remorse.  

Let us know how you make out.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
As a matter of happenstance, I just got my MVA #113 front sight through UPS today ... so now I start saving my sheckels for a # 103 rear (Soule style).

Any suggestions of people that you have used and trust? (I have had some very bad experiences with gunsmiths and am literrally gunshy about sending a piece to anyone).

NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
If you are feeling up to it, they are no big deal to fit yourself.  J.C. machines the dovetail .003" oversize so they may require fitting.  The #113 on my Shiloh Hartford model I did myself.  Get a small padded vice and a small file.  If the unmodified dovetail doesn't fit, then the instructions call for you to knock the corners of the dovetail off.  Consult the instructions for how much.  If it still does not fit, then you begin taking material off of the bottom of the dovetail.  It won't likely be much, so take your time and be careful.  Remember the spirit level faces the shooter, and sights are driven in right to left when looking down the butt end.  Do NOT force anything.  When it is driven in to centre, there is an allen head set screw to keep it in place.  That is accessed through the hole under the keeper spring. 

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:10:45 AM »
Wadd, glad yer gittin yer sites in order. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Understand the poor house thing.  I have no intention of getting into the casting world.  Cost Space Fumes lack of knowledge ...
If I happen upon commercial bullets my yet to be delivered Armi Sports likes, will send you the pertinent info bullet, powder case, wad compression lube

Currently have Black Dogge 350 grainers and Desparado 415 grainers to test.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
Cpt Dan,

I put in a couple of hours each day Mon-Fri (Sat & Sun they have almost too many volunteers) at the Local Loaved and Fishes kind of a lunch kitchen for the homeless.

Things I have discovered: I may not have a brand new Lexus, but;

I'm not living on the riverbank in a tent ...

I have a warm dry place to bunk every night ...

I started this out as a charity that I had to do, but now I know that I get back so much more than I give...

I try to ask clients that I know well what is going on with them .... One guy I am especially fond of said in explanation that, 'Well, I am above the grass'

I thought alot about his answer ... and what I came up with is that as long as we are above the grass and have most of our systems working in a more or less normal way, life is good .... and any fun things like SASS are just little gifts that we are not worthy of except to just enjoy them ....

And I will get off my soapbox now ... *G*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
Understand the poor house thing.  I have no intention of getting into the casting world.  Cost Space Fumes lack of knowledge ...
If I happen upon commercial bullets my yet to be delivered Armi Sports likes, will send you the pertinent info bullet, powder case, wad compression lube

Currently have Black Dogge 350 grainers and Desparado 415 grainers to test.

If you're not going to shoot that rifle alot, then buying the bullets is alright, but if you get to shooting in volumes, casting your own is the only way to keep it almost affordable. at 2$ lb for lead 50 lbs will net you about 875 of those 400 gr bullets, that same 100$ gets you what 200 maybe?

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »
Pretty close to right, I cast for a 45-70 that I shoot at least once a week and maybe a dozen other guns including 3 45 COLTS. I know I would not be shooting nearly as much if I had to buy that ammo in BP. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 08:31:46 AM »
 The wife and I shoot our bpcr rifles something in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds each per year in competition and practice for competition, if we had to buy the bullets for that much shooting ,we'ld probably be spending more of our spare time fishin.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
There in lies my problem, I like fishin too.  Time spent casting would conflict with fly tying and fly fishing.

You have all indicated the $ Savings

Question:  How much time involved in Casting the $100 worth of leads 875.  Not trying to be a smart A$$ just know nothing about casting and the time investment.

Also MVA vs Lee Shaver sights.  Any particular difference or is it a ford chevy thing vs  say vw - mercedes thing
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
I'm kinda slow, but using 2 6 cavity molds I can easily do 1000+ bullets in a morning. WM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
I'm kinda slow, but using 2 6 cavity molds I can easily do 1000+ bullets in a morning. WM

You're talking two different worlds of bullet making.  For your short range pistol bullets, close counts.  They go bang, sling lead 25 yars or so, and everyone has a good time.  The big guns are a different story.  Sweating over single cavity moulds (I cast with 2 moulds at a time), keeping close watch on temperatures and casting tempo.  Then inspecting bullets for ANY imperfection, and some shooters weigh each slug, then lubed with care, prayers said to the shooting gods as it adorns the shiny brass cartridge.  These behemoths travel distances of up to and beyond 1000 yards and with accuracy requirements and the 1 1/2 MOA (depending on the type of competition).  So yes one thousand bullets is a tilme consuming endeavour. 

I personally estimate 10 minutes of work goes into each round of .45-90 I shoot.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »
I don't know if I will EVER shoot to 1K yards ...

Hell, I don't even know if there is a 1K yard range in the Sacramento area ...

But the limitation on my guns shall always be me ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com