Author Topic: Cap & Ball  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Anvil Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Anvil Dave
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cap & Ball
« on: November 07, 2004, 09:40:26 AM »
You know.....I shoot trap, muzzleloaders, and cowboy shoots. I'm making a little change, I want to be in the Civil War era. What I like to know is how many do you pards shoot cap & ball, I like to know.      Gimpy :-\

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cap & Ball
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 10:54:46 AM »
I have two Remington -58 with 5" barrel and no loading ram.
loades the cylinder in a homemade stand.
And one 1860 with 2.3/4 barrel
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »
Well, if this is any indication, the last count of my c&b collection was 18.  Don't know why, though.  Can only use 2 at a time.  :o ;)  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:21:19 AM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:07:18 AM »
I have a matched pair of 58 Remingtons that I shot occassionaly this past year. I enjoy them but need more practice in managing them before I go whole hog on the Frontiersman catagory.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »
I  have just started C&B in CAS.

I have 2 petta's and one Uberti 58 Remington's FLAT LOVE THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna shoot them next year at ACSA>

I have found in the few matches I have already shot with them that a person needs to be on a large posse in order to have enough time to reload before the next stage.

Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 05:11:15 PM »
I shoot '58 Remmies because I can swap cylinders quickly.  I have 6 total cylinders.  I need about 4 more.  Mine are Uberti like Q-Ball.  I like Uberti as the front sight is in a dovetail and can be adjusted for windage.
Like Q-Ball, I have a loading stand to speed up loading.  I have a brass hammer I use to set the ball - one quick rap - and then force it home with the lever.  A little Bore Butter where the cylinder pin goes and I am ready for the loading table to set caps.  Now if I could just fing a capper that would work with the Remmie cylinders, I would be a happy smoker!
I have a Ruger OA but it is heavy.  I have two Colt 1851's in .44 caliber (I don't think Sam made those in .44) but the Italians do.  I find they are too slow loading for Cowboy, although I love shooting them.  One has a 12 inch barrel.  I could use that one in long range.  It is awesome.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 07:21:31 PM »
I gots 3- 61's  .36 ,  2  51's  .36,  3 60  .44,  2  58  .36, 2 58 .44, 1 60 .44 sheriff model, all 4 of the 58's have been converted to R&D and prob wouldn't work C&B due to hammer spring being lightened.
   Have about  2,000 (1,000 per pistol +-) thru the 61's this yr. and they are working without a flaw.  No cap jambs, no missfire's, no cylinder hang up.  Pietta brand, steel grip frame,(from Taylors) Treso nipps, 20gr  3f Elephant, rnd ball, lube over ball.   Mason can attest to this as he has been a witness.  Gotta love it.
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 08:14:46 PM »
Will have to Ditto what Cactus Cris says bout the Pietta's

I am proud to own 2/58 remmies in 44 and a Confederate open top thingy in 44 and those all are in Pietta Brand.
Own one 58 Uberti .Different finish dove tail front sight.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 07:37:25 AM »
Willie,

There is a modification you can do to Remmy cylinders that allows ya to use an ordinary straight line capper. Ya jist mill away the shell like area outside each nipple, leaving it squared like a Colts are. This can be done with an end mill in a drill press or with a grinding bit on a dremal tool.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Bobby Twoboar

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 07:46:51 PM »
I’d like nothing better than to try shooting a CAS match with my c & b’s but for the reasons mentioned, would be hesitant.

One possible solution (although maybe not feasible because of the numbers required) would be to pre-arrange to have an all c & b posse.  It might be the last one to finish but the members would all be tolerant of each other and come away with some great stories to tell around the fire.
Bobby Twoboar
SASS# 59200

NRA Life
ISRA Life
USMC: 1959-63
Amer. Legion Post 2910

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 09:13:35 PM »
Thank you CC.  I have to do something.  I think I will leave the grinding to my smith.  I would screw it up.  I started to grind it with the Dremel, but was not able to hold one or the other steady enough.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 06:51:34 AM »
Lets see I own 2 '51 navies, 2 Walkers, 2 Rodgers and Spencers, 1 Dragoon, 3 Remingtons, and 1 Ruger OA.  At one point in time I had another 51 navy and a 60 Army but they wore out on me.  I really like them cap and ball pistols.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Lucky Deuce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 09:48:13 AM »
You know.....I shoot trap, muzzleloaders, and cowboy shoots. I'm making a little change, I want to be in the Civil War era. What I like to know is how many do you pards shoot cap & ball, I like to know.      Gimpy :-\

I own 3 Pietta Remington .44's and a very old (Metric) Uberti Remington .44.  I have 13 cylinders for my Pietta's so i can load the night before and only have to cap at the loading table.  Works great.  I decided to go with the Civil War Era so thats why I went with the C&B's.  I also shoot a Henry and mule ear double 12 Ga.  I wish SASS would let us shoot Muzzle Loader shotguns and I would use one of them.  Love the Civil War Era....

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 06:52:46 PM »
I shot my first 2 years with C&B revolvers. I'd go back to them in a New York second. I use a T/C snail type capper.

Offline Bobby Twoboar

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »
I shot my first 2 years with C&B revolvers. I'd go back to them in a New York second. I use a T/C snail type capper.

Sarge,

Did you use this for something otherthan 1858-type Remingtons?  I understand that the "snail" doesn't work well with 58's.  Do you know what does and what has the largest holding capacity?

Thanks.
Bobby Twoboar
SASS# 59200

NRA Life
ISRA Life
USMC: 1959-63
Amer. Legion Post 2910

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com