Author Topic: Tiz a New Year, January Coffee is up  (Read 182687 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tiz a New Year, January Coffee is up
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
thanks for the cawfee y'all.

oh man, some cranberry orange muffins sound great about now Tex! ;D

well, Meg's credit on her own is 619.  Mine is good too, actually a bit better, but I have a bunch of student loans.  Mine is in the lower 7s, but using my VA home loan, we'd be getting a worse deal than what Meg can get on her own.  It's really the reason why we aren't married yet.  It's for the house.  We've known each other since 2010, and we've been dating since 2012.

If it was 620, she would have been a shoe-in for what we're looking at.  It's a gov't approved loan 0% down, and she looks to be qualifying for up to $135,000.  So our lender is very optimistic.  There's quite a bit out here in that price range, we're looking at a single-story (most are) 3br 2 ba house with at least a quarter acre that allows horses.  That's the key.  There are some, it's just if horses are allowed that's the key.  Even found a couple that are 20 acres+, not sure if we need that much space though.  

We'll also try to keep the money at around $100,000, that way when the Extreme Mustang Makeover hits Queen Creek and Norco, we'll be ready ;) :D  Anything over $100K, we'd have to wait a year... which ain't so bad considering she wants a "Spanish colonial" style, and I'll finally have some work to do :D  I'll be doing the reno myself... with the half-pint and any friends that want BBQ that night of course ;)

We're in the hunt now though!  Thanks for all the well-wishes and prayers.  Hopefully for my birthday, we'll be buying a property!  My mom, sis, and uncle are coming out Wednesday through the weekend to help us out.  It'll be a good learning experience for my sis, and my Mom and Uncle are top notch property hunters lol.

I'll be re-heating some Bear Creek tortilla soup tonight.  That's some good stuff! :D We made some marinated chicken for it.  Trying to keep a Spanish influence in almost everything at the moment, just trying to stay focused with good thoughts, wishes and prayers ;)
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »
Good luck with the house hunt, Willie!

TK: How does the shotgun fit you? How it fits can make a big difference in where the center of the pattern is when you just up and shoot. If you're taking careful aim when you pattern it, that will give a different point of impact than just throwing it up and shooting. I'm pretty sure that most squirrels out there can't withstand 7 1/2 shot, although if it patterns well enough, I might try #6 instead. As far as ravens and jays, they're not on my menu, so I don't shoot them. Haven't been that hungry.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
The roast and vegetables are simmering now, good smells are coming from the kitchen. The Cowboys are playing lousy, their season is slipping away.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:32:28 PM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
lol Tex,

my buddy is from Michigan, he's ecstatic right now lol

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »
It appears his celebration was premature.

Turnt out ta be some sorta baked thing, pasta with ground beef 'n a couple different cheeses. Right tasty.

Temp goes a l'il closer ta normal tomorrow. Gonna sleep my way inta it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
Dallas pulled the rabbit out of the hat. At GB next week.

'Tis down ta -2, clear and blustery. WC -22. Might get to -13 tonight. We are under a wind chill advisory 'til noon tomorrow. Sewed up a horse blanket that got tore last winter in anticipation of this cold snap. I'll check on the horses later to see how they are doing.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
I quit watching at halftime, I was afraid that I would jinx them. It will be cold in Green Bay!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
I quit watching at halftime, I was afraid that I would jinx them. It will be cold in Green Bay!
No heat exhaustion there.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
Work tomorrow .... so I'm headed to the rack, I'll set the Coffee maker first ....night night

Forgot to mention the Brats & saute' onions ... "SHE" forgot the spicy brown so I made do with yellow mustard....
I have some more, I think for Tuesday night , w/ pumpernickel bread ( need to get that ) and pick up the brown deli mustard,
best get another onion too...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
Just did this, working on swamp seed recipes, I think TLD was there for the one in the picture.   Used golden raisins per request. 

Rice Pudding/Rice Custard

What most simply call rice pudding is custard, common at pot lucks and many other places.   When raisins were added it was sometimes referred to as Spotted Dog or Spotted Pup.   
This dish is a simple camp dish; it is also a dish that will sometimes amaze people that you can cook it in a dutch oven, the reason is modern recipes would make you think you can’t or at least you’d have to put it in a dish and put water in the bottom of the dutch oven.   Well one can do that, but for me, in my camps cooking it in a separate container is a waste of fuel and dutch oven space.

With that said, since this will feed 6-8 people and many cook for smaller groups, I will do this recipe for either an 8 inch 2 quart oven or one can put it in a shallow dish that size and cook it in a dutch oven, if cooking it in a separate dish, most two quart dishes will need a 12 inch deep oven to make it work.   Doubling it will work for a 10 inch shallow, triple for a 12 inch shallow and quadruple it for a 14 shallow.

6 eggs beaten
3 cups fresh milk or 2 cans of evaporated milk (Sweetened condensed mild will be fine although sugar will need reduced or eliminated)
1 cup sugar (I use brown although it does darken the dish some) 
½ teaspoon of salt
1 ½ to 3 cups of cooked white rice (The amount of rice used will vary the final product in texture and change the serving amounts a bit)

Optional:
1/2- 1 cup raisins or currants (see raisins)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Allspice, nutmeg, mace and/or cinnamon are good spices to add to taste if desired.   

Beat eggs slightly; add milk sugar, vanilla, salt and any spices desired, then beat the mix well.   Stir in rice and raisins and pour in dutch oven or place bowl in dutch oven.   

For right in the oven, put the oven on a spot that is dry and warm, but put no coals under the oven, then place enough coals to run is as a slow oven (250-300F) and bake an hour to an hour and a half, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.   

For using a separate bowl, put the oven with an inch or so of water on enough coals to get a slow simmer.  Place coals on top as above and bake as above.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Yes, I was there and it was delicious. I really enjoy Del's cooking at the Musters. The roast turned out great and we will have leftovers for tomorrow night. They are predicting below freezing tonight and tomorrow night. It looks like winter has finally got here. I am looking forward to the Fort Worth Stock Show in a couple of weeks and getting to see Buck again.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »
That was one of the RCS events.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2015, 01:48:16 AM »
Evening y'all.

Day here was overcast, around 40 ish, according to my porch meter.  Went and watched part of the Rose Bowl on Youtube (don't watch football much, and don't have tv, so Youtube is where I go to watch) with a friend, then came back home and have read some books.  Tomorrow starts school again.  Though my load won't be that hard this semester.

Slim, I was shooting lead.

PE, I'll admit it doesn't fit as well as it could, though it fits better than my other shotgun.   It does affect the center of the pattern when I swing it, but all shots were taken from a good solid position (minus the rabbit).  That is what is so perplexing about the whole incident.  Though, if I've learned nothing else, I am done with shotguns.

Now, I'm going to have a soapbox moment here.  And yes, I'm sort of singling you out, Arcey.
For starters, What is a better way to teach a dog to fetch a bird, than with a real wing?  That being said, I figured the 5 cents I paid for a shotgun shell would be cheaper than going to Sportsman's Warehouse and buying one.

Second, I'll just give you a break down of the hunting schedule.
I left the house at 7:30am, and arrived at the hunting spot at 7:45.  The first two shots were taken at 8:00 and 8:23 (i checked my watch.)  I spent twenty minutes searching for that squirrel the first time, but the second, there was no sign that he was hurt, and at the place I was hunting, and where he went over the edge of the mountain, the landscape drops off nearly 300 feet in a lateral distance of 15 feet. 
I shot at the raven at about 8:27.  For the next hour I ran up and down the road (road follows the ridge) calling the raven, and trying to get a second shot, and hopefully kill it.  If I may ask, when was the last time you ran up a 5% grade with a ten pound shotgun for an hour at 5000 feet?

At 9:30 exactly, I walked farther up the road, hoping to get a shot at the raven.  About two hundred yards up the road, the rabbit popped out.  I just plain missed him.  I followed the raven until he flew away farther than I could see.

at 10:00, I got in the car and drove farther up the road.  At 10:30, I got out and hit a trail, where I walked another 4 miles round trip, this time closer to 5500-6000 feet.  I did not get any shots there.

At 11:55, I got back to the car, and started down.  At 12:15 (car is high geared, and that is a steep road.  down is faster than up), I returned to where I shot the raven.  From 12:20 when I got set up, until 12:30, I was calling for ravens.  When that didn't work, I went down  a small logging road that goes across the face of the mountain.  At 12:45, I shot the jay.  I followed him across the forest floor (these birds will sneak along the ground, rather than fly, since their primary predators around here are hawks), until 1:15 when I shot him the second and third times.  After those, he flew away.  If he was still flying, I don't think he was hurt that badly.  If he was hurt, he would have flown differently, as well.  Trust me, I know these birds.  And he flew over private property, owned by someone who doesn't speak English as well as they speak Class 3 AK.

Now to address your accusations of of being a "Vandal," and my "lack of choice of equipment."
From the previous information, it is now known that I followed a single bird for an hour  and a second for half of that.  This is through terrain that had to be helicopter logged, because the only vehicles that would fit on the road was an ATV and a small tractor.  The deck for the cut was three miles down hill.  On top of that, the vegetation is so thick that visibility is very short.  about four feet up hill.  Down hill, you look over the tops of the bushes, and can see nearly 100 miles.  When you're following a bird on the ground, that 100 miles is totally useless.
And, would one not assume that a gun that it highly recommended for shooting doves would kill a bird the same size as a dove?  Or a squirrel?  or even a raven from 15 feet?  Seriously, is a 20ga a bad choice?   Whether it is or not, I'm still using a 22 next time.
Say what you will about me, but I don't give a d@mn, now.

Okay the soapbox is back under the sink.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2015, 04:53:49 AM »
The Cawffee and Hot water are ready to drink. Enjoy!  Cranberry-Orange muffins are in the oven, they should be done in about 20 minutes.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
Mornin', y'all.

Fifty sumthin' now, forty sumthin' later 'n seventy sumthin' yestitty. They're sayin' sunny. Weather forecast for Green Bay next Saturday looks real nice for football.

Kitchen ain't too much a disaster area. Got plenty time 'n a quiet house ta werk in. Might stay in 'n enjoy it. Survived 'nother long holiday break.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2015, 06:37:40 AM »
Thanks for the coffee ;)

Temp is now 17 :o Big change from yesterday,plus we've got a dusting of the evil white stuff. Weather advisory up for tonight, could get as much as 6" ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

'Tis -12 and clear. WC -30. High of 5.

Slim

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2015, 08:15:49 AM »
Mmmmm.HMMM! Thanks for the warm cawfee and muffins again TLD! :D

I'm actually baking some right now as we speak too.  Little lady went to the store last night, told her to pick up some of those krusteaz ones ;) I know it ain't legit, but it'll do for now.

umm... after reading Slim's... y'all don't want to know our weather, the snow stopped, and it's shaping up to be a mighty fine week and future weekend for ranch hunting.

funny story, the real estate lady thought we just wanted "affordable" I guess, no big deal.  When she found out our "must haves" included minimum 10,000 sq ft lot to legalize horses and we don't mind living 15 miles from town, 30 if it's worth it, she just went "oh, let me do a re-search then" ;D

the good news: they're out there.  There's a funky one, but it's on 40 acres, with additional available for sale at under $500/acre adjacent to it, not that we'd ever need that much.  Poor house, looks like someone either ran out of money, or they weren't able to finish it for other reasons.  I'm hoping the former, rather than the latter.  

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2453-S-Wencel-Ln_Kingman_AZ_86401_M23513-99367?row=6

believe it or not, the "character" and the "you can do it" ;D are the reasons why it's Meg's favorite right now.  For me? I'd just be excited to get working again, but at my own pace and as a hobby.  I'd love to renno that thing into a Spanish Villa, it's begging for it actually.  Either that, or keep the "haunted" look lol  ;D

It's steel built and requires hauled water.  Right now, without "energy efficient" systems, we use about 800 gallons per month, counting my daily pot of cawfee.  I did an estimator thingy-ma-bob, it says we'll be about 1800 gallons per month with the garden and horses.

all-in all, 33 available in the area, with over a half-acre with minimum 3 BR, 2 BA.  So yeah :D so far going good, thanks for the warm wishes and prayers!

here's one I liked, till I saw the single bathroom, but depending, that may not be too difficult to remedy ;) dig an outhouse! :D "builds character!" lol let the relatives use that one! :D
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5688-Parkside-Ter_Hackberry_AZ_86411_M18781-72520?row=15

and Del, saved that recipe pard! ;D Thanks!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »
10 here, thats 22 more than Slim.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
The low for tonight is in the 20s and Tuesday's low will be 18. I went back to sleep and woke up at 0800. Victoria and I are in the back bedroom curled up together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com