Author Topic: Might make a change  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Bull Durham

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Might make a change
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:15:54 PM »
Howdy. I am considering changing positions at work but am not sure if it is the right thing to do. I might be shooting myself in the foot. I've been with my department for almost 11 years. I am currently working in Major Case and am assigned to serious assaults and sex cases. I have been in the MCU for a year now and for the most part have been miserable. Before coming to the MCU I worked Narcotics for 3 1/2 years. I loved working drugs. The MCU has recently gone through some tough times, a great Detective got fed up with the whole mess and walked out of a job he has had for 9 years. Another Detective also got out and has gone back to patrol. Everyone knows what the problem is and what it would take to fix it but nobody that can fix it has the guts to do anything about it. I am now considering going back to working uniform patrol. The 2 Detectives that left are the ones that talked me into applying for the position in the first place. I have always missed working patrol. I am afraid if I do transfer that it will prevent any future possibilities. By the way, being assigned to MCU is not a promotion in my department, only a transfer so the pay would stay the same. I would love to get back into Narcotics but policy requires a 2 year break before reapplying and then there has to be an opening. So, I can stay in MCU and work 5 days a week plus be on call for 1 week every month and be miserable or go back to patrol and have 14 days off a month and not be on call. Either way I still get a take home car and the same pay. I know from being on both sides that Patrol is who really does the work. Oh well, I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks for listening, Bull Durham.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Might make a change
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:15:51 PM »
The only thing I can tell you if that you're not happy at the MCU it could affect your home life as well. I do also agree that most departments would consider it a step back, but police work is tough enough without disliking what you're doing now.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Baron von Haltomstadt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »
In 1989, I left solo motors and took an administrative postion. It was the worst decision of my career. I have now completed 16 years of misery sitting at a desk and missing out on what I once enjoyed. I cannot afford to start over. I am only 4 years away from permanent retirement. I am stuck. My advice is: do what you enjoy, not what you are stuck in at the moment..

Terry
Terry  
AKA: Baron von Haltomstadt
(Formerly: Marshal Dusty Drywash)
North Central Texas Territories
BOLD RATS SASS NRA-Life USFA-CSS STORM SCORRS BOSS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:34 AM »

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »
As Big John said this field is tough enough without the added stress level of being stuck where you don't want to be. Eventually you begin to dislike the job, then the department, then yourself, and on and on. Life's too short pard. Don't waste it. You need to look forward to going to work every day.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:14:54 PM »
The others have tol' ya right pard! I used to work in small community where I wore many hats. I quickly figured out that I am not cut out for Internal Affairs, Narcotics, or Admin. So I took a job as a Patrolman. Been doing that fer 20 years come April...they been good years! :)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 05:12:38 PM »
Make the change and feel good about going to work every day.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com