Author Topic: How Have You Altered or Modified Your Spencer?  (Read 10806 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
How Have You Altered or Modified Your Spencer?
« on: April 25, 2005, 05:44:25 PM »
 :o   When I first got my Taylor Spencer I though the stock was too light in color, so I began to darken the  wood over a period of time.  I like the way it looks now much better than before.  Other than filing my front sight down a bit to get me in the black on target, I haven't done anything else to my Spencer.   

I'd be interested in hearing how members of SSS have modified or altered their Spencers in whatever way to make them shoot better or look better from their original condition.  Photos would be great to see, too. ;D ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How Have You Altered or Modified Your Spencer?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 06:48:52 PM »
When I first got my Taylor's Spencer in 56-50 it had what my gunsmith and I could only estimate to be about a 20 lb trigger pull.  Not the best for accurate shooting.  He reworked the mainspring, which is a combination mainspring and trigger spring, as well as the sear engagement, and it now has a reasonable 5 lb trigger pull.  Not the best, but reasonable.  Needless to say accuracy has improved dramatically.

I also purchased a replacement rear sight leaf from Taylor's and reworked the sight notch for a better sight picture.

One other thing that I have also done is to purchase from Taylor's a complete replacement set of all springs and small screws.  Might as well have them on hand and the cost is not that much.  No need to have to wait for them when you need them, and sooner or later one or more will be needed.

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 06:53:52 PM »
Hell-er,

Whom did you contact at Taylor's about the screws and springs for your Spencer.  How did you know which ones to get?  Is there a parts list?  Let us know!  Sounds like a good idea to me.  Do you remember the cost? 

Post the information, it would be appreciated.

By the way thanks for joining SSS!  I sent you an Email.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:32:21 AM »

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 07:57:47 PM »
Two Flints,

1.  With my Spencer there was included an Owner's Manual.  In it there is an illustrated parts breakdown (exploded view) with part numbers.  The exploded view is correct in most, but not all cases, for the 56-50 version, but was OK for what I wanted.

2.  I was in contact with both Tammy & Sue at different times.  The phone number is 540/722-2017 or you can get their E-Mail address off of the Taylor's web site.

3.  I purchased 1 each of the following:  Main Spring, Rear Sight Base Spring, Rear Sight Slide Screw, Firing Pin, Stirrup, Sear and Rear Sight Ladder.  The total cost, including shipping, was $56.75 in September of last year.  I based my list on things that I have seen fail on Sharps actions in the past as well as some other parts that I felt I wanted.  The lock work on these is basically a Sharps lock and I understand that Sharps actually made some original locks for Spencer.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:43:01 AM »
This was done about a month ago.  I'll try to set it in order as I worked on it.

The trigger pull on my Taylor's Spencer was in the order of 25 pounds or so.  When I asked about how to lighten the trigger pull I was informed to thin the mainspring.

Taking the Spencer into my work shed, I removed the lock from the stock and employing a mainspring vice, removed the mainspring.  Having had to thin replacement mainsprings on a pair of 1860 Conversions, I broke out the Dremmel and a sanding drum and a grinding stone and proceded to remove metal from the main spring.  I quenched often so not to lose the temper of the spring and repeatedly reassembled the lock to test the trigger pull.  When I got it down to where I was comfortable with it, I polished the spring with a fine grit drum to rid the surface of grind marks.

Not only did I have to reduce the thickness of the spring where it bore against the sear, but i had to reduce the width in that area as well.

If you are going to do this I would suggest you work slowly and check your progress often.  The old saw that "you can remove metal but you can't put it back" holds very true on a project like this.  Don't forget to cool the spring often by quenching it in water, even if it doesn't feel all that hot.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I'd rather waste a little time doing it slowly and RIGHT, than have to buy a new mainspring because i got impatient.

Enjoy.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 10:16:35 AM »
Grapeshot,

Thanks for the  information on adjusting the trigger pull.  Read somewhere that metal (mainspring) heated by grinding should be dunked in oil to cool it off gradually.  Does using water change or effect the metal in any way?  Just curious.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 08:40:51 AM »
I didn't notice any change on my main spring when I quenched it in water.  But, then I didn't let it get hot.  I let it get just
 warm to the touch before I put it in the water.  I was not going to chance over heating it.  It you let it get hot enough to
produce steam when you dunk it, it's to hot.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
I E-Mailed VTI Gunparts several days ago about parts for the Armi Sport Spencers and they said they were working on carrying parts for them as we speak so you all might get on their site and speak your intentions to having parts and they might move a bit more quick.......

Just wondering if you folks have on hand or have thought about carrying
 parts for the Armi Sport 1865 Spencer Carbines and/or Rifles. I use my
 rifles enough I'd like a good place for spares givin' the need arises.

Thanks,
 Shane

-----------------------
RE:

Shane:

Yes, we have that on our radar, but it will most likely be after the first
of the year.  In the meanwhile, let us know if you need a specific part and
we will make sure it is on that first shipment.

Thank You,
VTI Gun Parts
PO Box 509
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860) 435-8068 M-F 9-4:45 Eastern Time
Fax (860) 435-8146
mail@vtigunparts.com
www.vtigunparts.com

http://www.vtigunparts.com/
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 05:54:28 AM »
Hi SGT Chapman,

This post might be of interest to you regarding Spencer parts:

Dear Two Flints,
Sure I can help. You or your member can contact our US Service Center at rnorton@chiappafirearms.com
I'm not sure if they have any of the extractor in stock now, but we can ship it over in the next delivery.
With best regards.
Armi Sport

I will send VTI an Email regarding parts for the Armi Sports Spencer.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Gimpy Gus

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
Two Flints,

Since I got my 56-50 carbine from Taylor's a number of years ago,I've done the following: Lighten the trigger pull from +15# to 6#, widened the rear sight notch, dovetailed a new front sight since it shot so,so far to the right,  put a tang sight on the wrist of the stock, and added a spacer between the 2 pieces of the breech block (it fell out during a match and no replacement guard has come yet).After 350+ rds the spacer is doing the trick.

Took the Spencer bear hunting up in your neck of the woods (Danforth,Me.) in Aug. Didn't get a shot. but hand a great time. Those mosquitos are something else! They're your state bird, right?

GG

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
mine was a early one 44 rusian had lots of faults so i had to completly overhal it ground and retemperd mainspring reshaped and retemperd magizine catch spring extended and reshaped triger bar to stop overtravel of action replaced barell put combernation beech sight on with post filed to 50 meters pin set for 100 meters put fuly adjustable tang sight on took sadle ring and bar of and filed holes put front swivel on barellband it shoots beter than i can now geting a 56-50 rifle so i will see if they have inproved if not i will turn it into a sporting rifle set triger and all

Offline red coneston

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:51 PM »
 ;D Since I've had my .44 russian  I dovetailed on a higher front sight and deepened the notch in the rear sight.
      Also thinned the trigger portion of the mainspring, had a problem with half cock not always catching good
       and fixed it by filing a little from the rear of the trigger slot which let the trigger drop and engage better.
       These mods have greatly improved trigger pull and POA. I put 50 rounds through last time without a hitch
        and its a pleasure to shoot. Red

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com