Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 338937 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2010, 07:32:06 AM »
As much as I love Lonesome Dove, Open Range, Seraphim Falls, The Long Riders, Appaloosa, Dead Man's Walk, Commanche Moon, Quigley Down Under, Pale Rider, Crossfire Trail, and Last Stand at Saber River------the prize and all time favorite has to be and is "The Outlaw Josey Wales"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wore out my old VHS copy, bought a dvd player and dvd of Josey, and recently bought anothr dvd of it 'in case' the current one gives up. If I had a hundred bill for everytime I've watched it, I could take alot of time off from work. Gleaned alot of lines from it--"Buzzards gotta eat same as worms","Real frog strangler", "Endeavor to Persevere"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Need more like it, wish Clint would make another along similar lines.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »
OK. I'll throw my hat in the ring.

A man Called Horse
The Red Headed Stranger (with Willy Nelson)
The Missouri Breaks
Tom Horn
Ride with the Devil
Bad Company
Wild Bill
Tombstone
Rough Riders
Gunfighters Moon
3:10 To Yuma (both versions)
Dead Man
The Wild Bunch
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Last Outlaw
7 faces of Dr. Lao
Hidalgo
There Will Be blood
Johnson County War
The  Culpepper Cattle Company
Ned Kelly
Broken Trail (Heath Ledger version)
Any Western with Tom Selleck or Sam Elliott
Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
Young Guns 1 and 2
Quick and the Dead (both versions)
High Noon (both versions)
Riders of the Purple Sage
The Jack Bull
Mcabe and Mrs Miller
The Grey Fox
The Long Riders
Barbarosa
Appaloosa
All John Wayne Westerns
The entire HBO series Deadwood.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: September 27, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
I really gotta agree with Trinty and Scattered Thumbs..more westerns need to be made!!!  I can't figure out what the problem is with the "Powers that be" film making wise...Are they so sure that the Western is a dead horse these days?  It can't be budget...I mean look at how much it cost to make "The Titanic" and other movies since...One problem I guess, is that there is not a western "star" coming up...Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck are both getting a bit old...(although that didn't stop The Duke") so who do we have coming up to replace them?  Anybody?
I have to admit, it is getting hard to find actors that could fill the bill. Sadly, much of it is because of politics and 'the art' if you understand what I mean.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Advertising

« Reply #283 on: Today at 07:17:59 PM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
I have to admit, it is getting hard to find actors that could fill the bill. Sadly, much of it is because of politics and 'the art' if you understand what I mean.

I agree with DC.
A work in progress.

Offline Slow Motion Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
Howdy,

some of my  favorite Western is:  Open Range

than                                     : The Outlaw Josey Wales, the Title in Germany is :  The Texan   

Than followed: Broken Trail, than few John Wayne Western ( the Best to my mind is Red River )

furthermore: Appaloosa, Alamo ( the old and new Version ) Colorado Saga, Jeremiah Jonson, Quigeley ( ok the Country is Australian ).

My first Western if have seen is as Child is Union Pacific . I like this movie because of Memories.

Greetings

Bob

PS: sorry for my simple English  :-[ . It`s a mix from School English (before 35 Years) and some vocabele from Leo Translating Programm   ;).

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Howdy,

some of my  favorite Western is:  Open Range

than                                     : The Outlaw Josey Wales, the Title in Germany is :  The Texan  

Than followed: Broken Trail, than few John Wayne Western ( the Best to my mind is Red River )

furthermore: Appaloosa, Alamo ( the old and new Version ) Colorado Saga, Jeremiah Jonson, Quigeley ( ok the Country is Australian ).

My first Western if have seen is as Child is Union Pacific . I like this movie because of Memories.

Greetings

Bob

PS: sorry for my simple English  :-[ . It`s a mix from School English (before 35 Years) and some vocabele from Leo Translating Programm   ;).

Don't feel ashamed of your english language ability. You, are very understandable.

If you want to hear poor, ungramatical use of a language, you should hear me try to speak German...

The English language, so I'm told, is one of the hardest to learn and use properly. I think who ever said that is right. It's like shooting, it needs much practice, so keep posting and practicing here.

Bill

Offline Slow Motion Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Don't feel ashamed of your english language ability. You are, very understandable.

Thank You very mutch  :). I will give my best  that you all can understand me  ;).

Bob

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
No problem with your english Bob. Most people that speak english are hard to understand.  ;D
Rick.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
Thank You very mutch  :). I will give my best  that you all can understand me  ;).

Bob

You are very welcome..

Glad you're on the forum.

Bill

Offline vintagearms

• Citizen
  • Lifes to short to hunt with an ugly gun
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »
Ill chime in

Blazing Saddles
Mclintoch
Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean  when i was in sass i was Nick the Grub and still think whorehouse Lucky Jim is best character name ever
Jerimiah Johnson 
The Trinity series
".... I Hatchet Jack being of sond mind and brole legs do hereby leaveth by Bare rifle to whatever finds it, Lord hope he be a whiteman. It is a good rifle and kilt the bare tha kilt me. Anyway I am dead... your truely Hatchet Jack

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
Actually, Bob, it is BECAUSE you wwere taught the King's English that you might have a problem being understood by an American from the USA ... we use so much slang and shortcuts that proper Enlish is almost a foreign tongue ...

Or as George Bernard Shaw wo eloquently put it, 'England and America are two countryies separated by a common language.'

Don't let if get you down (see what I mean about slang?) ... when I was a Air Force dependent in France in the early 60's, we often had Scandinavian Nannies who worked as au peres so that they could learn 'American'... and they always had to drop the formal English  they were taught and learn slang that probably would have turned their English teachers livid ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
Actually, Bob, it is BECAUSE you wwere taught the King's English that you might have a problem being understood by an American from the USA ... we use so much slang and shortcuts that proper Enlish is almost a foreign tongue ...
Or as George Bernard Shaw wo eloquently put it, 'England and America are two countryies separated by a common language.'
Don't let if get you down (see what I mean about slang?) ... when I was a Air Force dependent in France in the early 60's, we often had Scandinavian Nannies who worked as au peres so that they could learn 'American'... and they always had to drop the formal English  they were taught and learn slang that probably would have turned their English teachers livid ...
Heck, try growin' up in household where Mum was quite the rebellious English lass, GrandMum was quite Victorian in speech and attitudes, Dad was a WWII Vet attending nite school to get his GED and his Mom was an uneducated pure Tennessee hillbilly that was probably the smartest of the lot!  Language was an art form.  Between Dad with his belt, if he thought you were dis-respecting him and GrandMum with the handle off a croquet mallet if you spoke improperly.  Kept a boy on his toes!!! 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2010, 01:11:47 AM »
I can only imagine ....

One would have to incline or decline his use of the language depending on who one was speaking to ....

With universal English kind of taking over, I imagine that it is not as bad as it was ....

Still, when a cabbie told me to to go the loo in the tram station , and that I could leave my car in the Lorry Park ...I knew that I needed an interpreter ....

Then when someone asked me if I wanted to step outside and have a fag ... I  declined ... it was only later I found out he was referring to a cigarette .....

And it would always be fun to figure out how many GIs were slapped over the phrase, 'Knock me up in the morning' ...LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: December 26, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
Rereading this, I fear I may have insulted a portion of our readers ... none of these comments were meant to make anyone, anytime uncomfortable ... My utmost appologies if anyone was put off ...

But all these comments were actually made to me while doing three or four day TDYs to Great Britain in the mid '70s ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
No problems with me. I watched so much Brittish TV in my life I understand their slang almost as well as I understand ours. I also have a few friends in the UK who keep in touch and I love to hear them using the slang they are familiar with. Brings a smile to my face every time.
Rick.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: January 03, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
Ill chime in

Blazing Saddles
Mclintoch
Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean  when i was in sass i was Nick the Grub and still think whorehouse Lucky Jim is best character name ever
Jerimiah Johnson 
The Trinity series

Yes!  Chalk up another one for my absolute favorites! ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
Rereading this, I fear I may have insulted a portion of our readers ... none of these comments were meant to make anyone, anytime uncomfortable ... My utmost appologies if anyone was put off ...

But all these comments were actually made to me while doing three or four day TDYs to Great Britain in the mid '70s ...

It's nothing to get hung about.  Try Cockney, that is the ultimate slang.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »
Leo,

One of my passive hobbies is the entymology of words ... and one of my favoriets is Cockney ...

One of the first 'humanistic' psychiatric hospitals was called Bethlehem Hospital in the middle of the region where Cockney was spoken ....

But the Cockneys could not pronounce Bethlehem properly; it came out as Bedlam ...

So now any crazy/out of control situalion is now called a bedlam ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
Leo,

One of my passive hobbies is the entymology of words ... and one of my favoriets is Cockney ...

One of the first 'humanistic' psychiatric hospitals was called Bethlehem Hospital in the middle of the region where Cockney was spoken ....

But the Cockneys could not pronounce Bethlehem properly; it came out as Bedlam ...

So now any crazy/out of control situalion is now called a bedlam ....

I'll go round the Johny Orner to the Libby and have a sneak.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
'Kay,

You have my undivided attention ...

What did you just say?

Reminds me of George Bernard Shaw's quote about England and America being two counties separated by a common language ... *S*

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com