Author Topic: CAI 1887 Lever Action Shotgun (new repro)  (Read 50804 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: CAI 1887 Lever Action Shotgun (new repro)
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Howdy
If you buy a 28 inch barrel and decide you need a 20 inch barrel ,break out the Hack Saw . But it don't work the other way ? I would like to try one for Cowboy Trap ?

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
Just ordered one off Gunbroker.com, shop out of Ganado, TX Matt's Guns and Ammo has them, should have it by friday, will let ya'll know how it runs ;)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »
Cowboy Paul
Hope your new scatter gun is as smooth as butter . I would love to have one with a long barrel . I think it would be a fun gun to hunt with .

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:27:28 PM »

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
Well, got the gun in last night, looks great after you get all of the cosmoline  off, bluing is great, wood to metal fit is good, kicks like a mule, lever is smooth as butter, but won't cycle rounds from mag to barrel or eject spent rounds, will fire single loaded shells, using winchester AA shells as has been recommended, going to try several other brands, if that doesn't work its back to century arms in Virginia for repairs, will keep ya'll updated

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
Cowboy
Don't sound to good . Hope they make it right for you . Is this there first time to handle 1887 shotguns ? The nice thing about  cascity is we can talk about problems just like this . Years ago people didn't know about a product other than what they would read from a magazine . And not all writers gave Honest reviews . Remember the Mitchel SAA most of them would break before you could finish a match . Good Luck Cowboy Paul .

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:41 PM »
Well, got the gun in last night, looks great after you get all of the cosmoline  off, bluing is great, wood to metal fit is good, kicks like a mule, lever is smooth as butter, but won't cycle rounds from mag to barrel or eject spent rounds, will fire single loaded shells, using winchester AA shells as has been recommended, going to try several other brands, if that doesn't work its back to century arms in Virginia for repairs, will keep ya'll updated

It may be in this very thread, but I was told that you need to actuate the lever with 'vim and vigor,' else the shells would hang up a bit sometime.  Don't know if that'll help or no, but figured I'd toss it out there.

I'm looking at getting one sometime in the first two weeks of next month, either that or a decent double barrel (read: CHEAP) shotty for when I get up with the local boys (Old North State Posse, not a member of 'em yet, not even had the pleasure of hitting up a match-something always comes up...  usually with the damn bloody car I'm driving-which is in the shop again, and now I'm rambling...).

Best of luck with it, to be sure!
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
Just as an FYI, I stopped by the Century Arms booth at Shot Show.  No '87 on display.  They said they are out of them but expect to get some more in a few months.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
Abilene
Did they say anything about a long barreled 87 .

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
I tried using 'vim and vigor' since I remembered reading that too, and my Rossi 92 is the same way, no luck, but talked to the dealer yesterday and he said that he has had no reports of problems and was going to talk to his distributor to see what they can do. Also talked to Century Arms customer service just in case I have to send it in, very helpful and friendly staff and said if it needs to be sent in they will mail me a shipping label to send it back, now I just have to wait on dealer to get back to me  :-\

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
Abilene
Did they say anything about a long barreled 87 .

Hmm, that's odd, I answered this question 2 days ago but my answer isn't here.  So I'll do it again. 

I asked them Rowdy, and they said no long barrels.  Sorry.

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
Paul, make sure ALL the screws are tight. Double check the large head screws on each side of the rec'r in about the middle.
Bolt ,87 & '97 you gotta 'drive'em' like you stole'em.
I have 3 IAC '87s and love them. It did take a bit to get them run'n 'rite'.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »
Vim and vigor works for me.............Of course now my Hi Point performs more realiable than any of the 87's made today period. How that even got mentioned in a Shotgun thread amazes me.

Even the Winchesters were not without fault. If your looking for fast get a pump or a twice pipe.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Bet you nodangbody will ever make a 'repro' of the Hi-Point.........  ::)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
Bet you nodangbody will ever make a 'repro' of the Hi-Point.........  ::)

that's a more sensible statement than the one earlier.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »

UM........Which one ???
LG

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
Howdy
Has anyone else laid there hands on the pw87 ?? Replacing a barrel on this shotgun , maybe easier to purchase a 30 inch barrel and have it installed .

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
Howdy
Has anyone else laid there hands on the pw87 ?? Replacing a barrel on this shotgun , maybe easier to purchase a 30 inch barrel and have it installed .

Read my earlier posts.  I took one partially apart and have handled several.  They are a rough $350.00 gun that looks like it should run well with a little polishing and tuning.  You can always swap a barrel.  However, where would you get a 30" barrel for one of these?  You can't get a 30" barrel for the IAC 87s and there are lots of them on the used market.  If you want a long barrel your best bet is to save your gold dust and buy a Chiappa.  Custom work ain't cheap.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:39 PM »
Pettifogger
Thanks , I had considered a Chiappa but they are $1100 . I just don't want to spend that much on a clone . Not saying they aren't worth it but that's a lot of money . Did any of the Chinese ever come with a longer barrel ? A 26 or 28 would work . When you look at the pw 87 manual the picture is of a long barreled shotgun . Imagine that .

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »
There are pictures of all sorts of Photoshopped guns that were made for advertising before the production models were released.  There were no long barrel IAC 87s.  IAC did import a very few 97s with 26" barrels.  A few lucky people manged to get 26" barrels when there were still some spare parts available (or swapped them off an IAC 97) and they would fit the 87s.  A couple of people have even spliced a section of barrel onto the end of the stock short barrel and did some precision welding and grinding to make them look like an original long barrel.  Not cheap, would probably cost more than a Chiappa IF you could even find someone that would try to do it.  You are correct about the price.  You can find a pretty decent and shootable original for $1,100.00.

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »

My statement earlier was a joke on Hi-Points vs. general firearm reliability.  I've nothing against them personally, but from what I understand, you've got about a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon.

I made that joke quite a while ago, what's more, and had forgot I made it.  THAT was the point.

Last time I try using humor in a thread, I suppose!  Always seems to get missed, I suppose that's because text sucks as a medium.

Anyway, yeah.
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com